Boy, I tell you whhat.  

fouckhest
fouckhest Reader
1/18/24 9:53 a.m.

Love this build!  That thing is going to be a beast

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/19/24 7:20 p.m.

obviously I'm now just as cool as that Rauh Welt guy.  

Lof8 - Andy
1/20/24 4:42 p.m.

Not 100% sure I even want to include this in the thread, but here it goes. My dad is a big motivation in this build.  We used to go watch HSR races at Sebring when I was a kid. The 914-6s were his favorite and therefore mine too.  He was slowly working on the black car for years and had collected tons of cool parts. 

He has developed dementia and although he's pretty healthy physically, his mind is mostly gone. today I picked him up and took him to my house to go for a ride in the new 914. I showed him the car, talked about all of the cool Porsche parts he had collected, described my plans, Sebring memories, and took him for a spin. I was hoping to get him smiling or spark some of those memories for him. Unfortunately that didn't really happen.  He didn't recall much and didn't say much.  The best I got was "ya, pretty neat car". 

it makes me sad. I know before the dementia, he would have been over the moon.  I'm gonna keep building, but a big piece is missing. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/20/24 5:36 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

That has to be a big bummer. I'm sorry to hear that but am happy you have great memories of being with him and that the yellow car will evoke those every time you take it out.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
1/20/24 5:53 p.m.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point it does click with him in a moment of clarity and hopefully you'll get to enjoy the reaction you know is in there

B13Birk
B13Birk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/20/24 6:55 p.m.

I can't imagine how hard that is dude. Keep trying to connect. Keep showing him pictures and telling stories. I'm sorry you are going through this. Hold tight to the memories. For him and for you. 

Lof8 - Andy
1/20/24 7:10 p.m.

Thanks dudes heartsmiley

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/24 9:14 p.m.

Although my dad hasn't forgotten the Healey and at this point probably wont, he doesn't always retain the upgrades/changes I'm making on it. I tell him anyway because it's a great way to engage him and it's always been an awesome part of our relationship.

This is getting deep but I've thought about how I'd want my son (and daughter) to interact with me if I get to that point and I always come back to the fact that I just hope they don't stop.

Keep at it, man. 

Lof8 - Andy
1/21/24 8:45 p.m.

I got the skirts and flares fitted today. I wanted to get them painted too but it was too windy and cold. 

im loving the old rally cars.  this thing will probably get some rally lights and stickered up a bit  

ive been trading messages with the guy  who built the k24 914, who's photos I've saved above.  I asked if he'd be up for replicating his engine mount to sell to me and so far the response has been very positive.  This may end up being a virtually bolt-in affair!  

and also, the k24 dude has made a very impressive cosmetic transformation with his car!

dyintorace
1/22/24 8:53 a.m.

Man - that would save you a ton of time! I really dig the bolt on flare look that he did!

java230
java230 PowerDork
1/22/24 2:32 p.m.

Keep doing it to keep your old memories alive. It's hard he doesn't have the spark any more, but you still do. Dementia runs in my family too, not looking forward to it.

Flares are awesome.

Lof8 - Andy
1/22/24 4:52 p.m.

❤️

yep. Im gonna keep chuggin.  I hope he's still around when I get it "done".  The acceleration alone with a K motor should be enough to get some kind of reaction.  Hopefully that reaction is not a E36 M3 in his pants lol!

a few cans of rustoleum in the back yard, just like how the pros do it!  There's a few drips and a couple flies got into em, but holy crap!  Far and away my best home spray job!   Maybe because I put down some primer first.  

Lof8 - Andy
1/23/24 6:55 p.m.

Hard to capture it in photos while it's still in the garage, but I berkeleyin love it!!  Still waiting on a few bits before I can bolt up the 5 lug - rear wheel bearings, fresh Koni inserts up front and my dad has a sweet Boxster/brembo front brake upgrade that's missing the bolts.  I cannot wait to get the Fuchs under it!  My tire sizes are going to add a bit of rake to the front.   Gonna be rad!

Lof8 - Andy
1/26/24 2:44 p.m.

I've got at least 5 hours into this first corner.  I pray the rest are quicker. 

fouckhest
fouckhest Reader
1/26/24 3:31 p.m.

Looks fantastic!

Lof8 - Andy
1/26/24 5:23 p.m.

Corner 2, far far better!

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/27/24 9:16 a.m.

It looks amazing, dude. I have realized that for me, this is the kind of project I love most. Making things better/cooler bit by bit while still being able to drive and enjoy the car. I just put fresh headlights and amber turns on my E36 and the joy I get from that simple change is through the roof. 

I know the flares/skirts have taken real time but the car was never out of commission.

Awesome!

Lof8 - Andy
1/27/24 9:33 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :  thanks!  And totally agreed, tangible gains after each garage session are very rewarding!  I'm having a lot of fun with it!  I know it'll do everything better with a drivetrain swap but that'll also put it out of commission for at least a few months.  Do I attack that right away or play with the leaky motor and terrible trans a while longer, hmmm?   

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/27/24 10:18 a.m.

Looks awesome! A flared 914 with Fuchs has been on my wishlist forever. Nicely done. 

In the short term what about trying to upgrade or fix the shifter. I found this article:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_shift_improve/914_shift_improve.htm

For a few hundred bucks you might get some real improvement. If you want to spend more there are some nice aftermarket shifters out there. 

Lof8 - Andy
1/27/24 9:14 p.m.

Broke the YXZ today at rallyx test n tune.  Axle nut sheared right off. 

so I got home early and got the Boxster Brembos mounted and the Weltmeister front sway bar installed. Hoping to do the Koni inserts tomorrow and get the front struts and wheels on. 

Lof8 - Andy
1/28/24 4:03 p.m.

Put in a lot of hours this weekend.  Super stoked!!   Konis and sway bar tightened it up a lot!

Petrolburner (Trevor) from the forum was in town for flight training and stopped in to shoot the E36 M3 for a bit on his way to watch some drag racing before flying home.  Always cool to meet the great people that this forum attracts!

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
1/29/24 12:09 p.m.

Wow, that is looking epic!

dyintorace
1/29/24 1:00 p.m.

So, so awesome looking!

Lof8 - Andy
1/30/24 6:15 p.m.

1 ... 52 53 54 55 56