1 ... 18 19 20 21
crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/28/18 7:27 p.m.

That sucks. Don't be afraid to lawyer up early if you see it's not going well from the jump.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/28/18 9:01 p.m.

I'll second everyone before me being thankful you made it out in one piece.  This type of thing is the only reason I look forward to self-driving cars.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/29/18 12:56 p.m.

Just got done at body shop. It's totalled. It could theoretically be repaired, but with no parts availability and the amount of structural damage, it doesn't make any financial sense. Essentially i would be using this as a parts car. 

On my way to the doctor for follow up.  Still hurting way more than i should be by now.

This is going to be an insurance fight thread. 

Anyone know a gpod lawyer in nc for this kind of thing?

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/29/18 1:01 p.m.

That really sucks- but at least you're (mostly) OK! Losing another cool classic car is sad, but pales compared to what losing you to a stupid texting driver would be like...

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/29/18 1:14 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I wish I had a good lawyer recommendation. The one I used (after Pigeon's passing) was an acquaintance from my bike shop days. He is more of an estate lawyer and not a small claims guy, and honestly I think my settlement may have been better for me if I had sought out a lawyer better suited to my case. 

In any event, definitely get a lawyer soon and get your statement on record while it's all still fresh. Document everything and keep track of your out of pocket and any loss of wages stemming from the accident and your follow up care. 

It really sucks about the truck, but ultimately your health and well-being are what can't be replaced. Best of luck with your recovery!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/29/18 1:22 p.m.

As one classic El Camino owner to another, my most sincere condolences sad But more importantly, glad you came out of it in one piece. Get the help you need and get well soon.

LimitedTimeOnly
LimitedTimeOnly New Reader
1/29/18 1:26 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

One of my co-workers got hit while driving and hired a lawyer to look over the settlement, so did not get too complex, but my co-worker was happy with the experience. If you are interested, that was Brandon Remington of Remington & Dixon in Charlotte. He found them using www.avvo.com. I wish I knew of a perfect recommendation for you. This whole thing (wrecked El Camino, damaged human) stinks. I hope you have a speedy physical recovery.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/18 2:55 p.m.

curious about what they’ll say about buyback price.  It’s probably going to be worth it 

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/29/18 3:24 p.m.

That totally sucks, hope you are okay. I don't like lawyers, but this is a perfect example of when they are needed.  This reminds me of my brother-in-law's MGB, got it from his father when he passed away, spent a year or two restoring it to better than it ever was and probably drove it less than 1,000 miles and got rear ended a 1/4 mile from his house. Car was totaled, no one hurt except for his irreplaceable car from his father. He got $8,000 for it (this was back in the early 2000's) but should have had a lawyer but did not.  Since you lost the truck and probably need some medical care, I would definitely push back on a quick settlement until  you know the full extent of the damage. As I have found out, you have room to bargain with them on the truck's value, so get what it is truly worth and not just their assessment.  Take care of yourself and to everyone out there watch out. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/29/18 3:44 p.m.

In reply to LimitedTimeOnly :

Ill call them in the morning. 

This is all new for me. 

Definitely getting a lawyer.  Bodyman Bill said i was probably going to need one.

Will definitely be interesting to see what buyback is. If cheap enough, it'll come home and we'll see if i can get it fixed.

But i still need a new truck either way....

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/29/18 3:51 p.m.

That van still for sale in Michigan? It was a good deal.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/18 4:21 p.m.

Glad you're okay. Where's the gas tank in that thing? Behind the seat? It could have been a lot worse.

Be sure to tell the doctor that there was at least six inches of intrusion on the inside of the driver's side door.

I suspect that the first thing the lawyer is going to tell you is to stop talking about it online.

Good luck and feel better.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
1/29/18 7:14 p.m.

I'm one of those idiots that would try to fix it. 

As long as the frame is straight anyway.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/29/18 7:30 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

Gas tank is under the bed, thank god. 

Good call on lawyer telling me to shut up. Calling a couple tomorrow.  

Showed doctor the pictures.  He was impressed that im moving as good as i am. But the good news is that i definitely don't have anything broken!

Crackers: where do you live?

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
1/29/18 7:34 p.m.

Dang, sorry to see the Elky hit like that. I had a 67 myself, kinda wished I never sold it. To Woody: gas tank is in the rear, just like a Chevelle wagon. Good to see the car didn't intrude any farther, those doors don't have impact beams in them. Hope you get to feeling better.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
1/29/18 7:43 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I'm in Texas, not far from Seth. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
1/29/18 7:45 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I am NOT telling you where I live cause I promised no more lost cause customers until the Molvo is done!

Pete

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/29/18 8:10 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Im sure gameboy could find you....

Problem is finding all the sheetmetal it would take.  90% of the stuff is elky specific.  And not reproduced. Like full quarters. Or doors. Or.....

Crackers
Crackers Dork
1/29/18 8:34 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Oh, yeah, no. Not it. 

I should have said "if it were mine..." 

I'd want to replace the door, but I bet I could straighten the quarter panel with proper puller. (Have done similar in the past.) 

Like I said, I'm an idiot, but an idiot that can save severely berkeleyed up NLA stuff. (Or spend 2 weeks pulling out a cab corner on a 78 C10 just to prove I could. Again, idiot.)

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
1/29/18 9:28 p.m.

Made a call and upped my car insurance on the galaxie today. I think i need to go out and look at Hagerty. I couldn't imagine being in this situation. When do you find out what your insurance is going to offer?

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/29/18 9:29 p.m.
Crackers said:

In reply to NOHOME :

Oh, yeah, no. Not it. 

I should have said "if it were mine..." 

I'd want to replace the door, but I bet I could straighten the quarter panel with proper puller. (Have done similar in the past.) 

Like I said, I'm an idiot, but an idiot that can save severely berkeleyed up NLA stuff. (Or spend 2 weeks pulling out a cab corner on a 78 C10 just to prove I could. Again, idiot.)

Can I help too..... I gota tractor....chain and a stump?   wink   

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/30/18 7:55 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

In reply to NOHOME :

Problem is finding all the sheetmetal it would take.  90% of the stuff is elky specific.  And not reproduced. Like full quarters. Or doors. Or.....

The "El Camino Store" reproduces almost every piece of sheetmetal for these cars, including those crazy rear quarter panels

https://www.elcaminostore.com/exterior-parts-and-trim/body-parts/quarter-panels.html

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/18 8:13 a.m.
Norma66 said:

Made a call and upped my car insurance on the galaxie today. I think i need to go out and look at Hagerty. I couldn't imagine being in this situation. When do you find out what your insurance is going to offer?

Hagerty is the only reason my Cobra still exists today. If you have a classic, collector, our modified car agreed-value insurance is the only way to go. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/30/18 9:01 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

x2; I have Hagerty and it's such a reasonable price for what you get. It's got driving restrictions and you have to have garage space for the car and other, non-collector cars, but obviously you've got that. My pickup is $200/year with $10k agreed value coverage. Totally worth it.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/30/18 9:37 a.m.

1985 s10 - $2000 (Smithfield) hide this posting

< image 1 of 4 >

1 2 3 4

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map)

1985 chevrolet s-10

condition: good
cylinders: 6 cylinders
fuel: gas
odometer: 77410
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
type: pickup

Great running truck v6 automatic heat and ac works just painted have extra set of rims to go with it 77410 miles..would like to trade for a street bike

• do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or of
1 ... 18 19 20 21

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z2JgRCIM2cErgUAczB4foanIu7LxoCVvqZmfGiz08Bqx0aUjRzftd8lSsu3CSx8K