1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/18/24 11:22 a.m.

Wouldn't be an adventure without some issues. Still, would rather they wait till I get on the road.

The lip of the trailer receiver is hitting that wall on the hitch 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/24 12:41 p.m.

I'd unbolt hitch from bumper and cut the center out of the vertical plate. E36 M3ty markup incoming:

1/18/24 1:06 p.m.

or cut that lip off the trailer and move it back some.  it's there as an artifact of the stamping process, but probably provides some amount of strength as well.

Mr_Asa
1/18/24 1:22 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Took a grinder to the plate, hammer to the trailer.  All good now.

1/18/24 1:57 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Took a grinder to the plate, hammer to the trailer.  All good now.

one of my replies said grinder and flap disc.  i must have typed over it.  glad that obstacle has been cleared.

Mr_Asa
1/18/24 4:18 p.m.

Getting fuel.  Trip so far.

US27 in GA is a whole bunch of f'n nothing.  Just absolutely nothing.  However I saw a Bald Eagle just flying around near a creek, and a random armadillo alive and snuffling around the side of the road, both good omens, if you ask me.  Also many many GA troopers on the side of the road, happily this pile barely hits 75 so I'm pretty safe.

LOLOLOLOL.

Mr_Asa
1/18/24 7:28 p.m.
octavious
octavious Dork
1/19/24 8:35 a.m.

Good gracious!  How much land does your aunt own?  

I dig the truck. I think it'd be super cool to get back on the road

Mr_Asa
1/19/24 12:22 p.m.

In reply to octavious :

80 (?) acres, I think?

Mr_Asa
1/19/24 1:18 p.m.

Fairly painless getting her up on the trailer.

Lots of backing and filling and I was turned around and ready to head out in the morning.

Then.  Then I had to climb the hill. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2So5TbRgT5/?igsh=MWduajNtZzc2MWR4cA==

Thankfully, while climbing I had Sky to keep me company. 

now that I'm at the tip of the hill we can look back and see the Uhaul waaaay down there.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/24 1:23 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Getting fuel.  Trip so far.

US27 in GA is a whole bunch of f'n nothing.  Just absolutely nothing.  However I saw a Bald Eagle just flying around near a creek, and a random armadillo alive and snuffling around the side of the road, both good omens, if you ask me.  Also many many GA troopers on the side of the road, happily this pile barely hits 75 so I'm pretty safe.

LOLOLOLOL.

Bald eagles are making a decent comeback.  I went the first 40+ years of my life without ever seeing one.  Now they are such a common site near our lake property as to not even be conversation worthy.  

Mr_Asa
1/19/24 1:28 p.m.

I'd love to find a drive-through car wash with a wand and brush.  I'd spray it down on the way home.

Mr_Asa
1/19/24 1:29 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

I've seen maybe half a dozen in the past two-three years.  Never had before.

sevenracer
sevenracer HalfDork
1/19/24 1:53 p.m.

Cool old truck.

Just noticed this on BAT in case you missed it.

Mr_Asa
1/19/24 4:19 p.m.

Got to thinking, didn't need to experience  a hard freeze in the low teens.  Was also feeling melancholy being there without my aunt.

So on we go.

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
1/19/24 5:17 p.m.

I was half expecting you to say you were going to have to back out the whole way with the trailer when you were going up the hill. Cool truck, can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Mr_Asa
1/19/24 6:45 p.m.

Obligatory picture.

I have absolutely cooked these brakes. 

Mr_Asa
1/19/24 10:25 p.m.

Jesus wept.  600 miles in two days and some berkeleyhead in a Steak N Shake in Tallahassee almost takes me out.  Also, did ya'll know that Uhaul disables the horn in their vehicles?  CAUSE I DIDN'T!

Shucks, I missed you as you passed through Havana.  I was going to wave and throw confetti.

27 may be boring but it is a lot less stressful than taking I-75 to Atlanta.  But its hard to speed because there is no traffic to hide in.   Of course with your rig today speeding was not an issue.

Mr_Asa
1/19/24 10:54 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

Gonna head to Dad's and drop it in the morning, so you can do it tomorrow. 

Speeding was actually possible, surprisingly.  I found out that the truck is soft-governed to 75MPH (I'd bet there's something in the drive-by-wire system that locks the throttle.)  I initially was concerned that there was no cruise control, but you can pretty much just put the pedal on the floor.  Best part is the truck then keeps that gas MPG gauge right in the green

1/20/24 12:26 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Quoted for berkeleying awesomeness!

Mr_Asa
1/20/24 3:15 p.m.

So today was the day to drop it off at Dad's.  I wanted to do something to it, but I didn't have tools, didn't have drainage buckets, or anything else.

So I decided to wash it.

Ever seen soap foam freeze?

With that done, I went and warmed up.  Then hauled her out to Dad's.  Gonna come up over the next few weeks and start tinkering.

Mr_Asa
1/20/24 3:29 p.m.

Before I got her safe and sound I took some pics. I 90% think that the frame is not the original. I'm thinking something 3/4 ton, GM, from the 80s? Anyone able to eyeball it?

Rear axle

Front Axle

Frame-to-body mounts are modified. 

Rear body mounts

Also, for some reason, wood floors?

Anyone ID the trans from the pan?

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
1/20/24 4:00 p.m.

Looks like a 4L80 so the chassis is from the 90's at least. If the trans came with the frame...

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
1/20/24 4:22 p.m.

Here is a nice 80's K10 frame pic.

Anything match besides the obvious front axle?

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gQncbWX7unMaa07NrR1Vad9Ft43IQdjbn1mG2AIzUJahR0KqSEdg3d3V8YDBvIli