1 2
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/9/21 9:28 a.m.

Once again......     14 X 16 Trex, but the pergola really helps walking across the thing in the summer.

No rail because it's <15" above grade.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
3/9/21 2:19 p.m.

A fort under the deck? Screw the kids, I want that for myself!

The current house doesn't really facilitate the ability to have a deck, but the whole backside and around the pool is flagstone anyway (much of which has chipped away with the recent snow/freeze allowing moisture to get into the limestone flagstone and expand and make chips).

The next house will be sans pool, but hopefully with some topography for build a nice deck to enjoy being outside.

That one-man job is impressive. I remember my dad, my opa, godfather, and I put together a deck for our old house back in Colorado Springs, still standing just to this day. I will buy that house back if the opportunity ever comes.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/21 3:21 p.m.

This isn't mine, but I built it. It's nicer than the house.

It was a berkeleying nightmare.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
3/10/21 3:23 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

This isn't mine, but I built it.

It was a berkeleying nightmare.

That's one damn fine looking nightmare Boss!!!!

EricD735i
EricD735i New Reader
3/11/21 9:28 p.m.
PMRacing said:

A little late to the party but our deck was officially finished last Friday. One guy built it in just over two weeks with breaks for weather. 

Is that freestanding? If so any issues with bracing to prevent swaying? I have a new house with a basement walk out and I don't like the idea of removing/modding the siding for a ledger board.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/12/21 7:35 a.m.

With no ledger, larger lumber and more fasteners is usually required from what I heard from our AHJ when I was making my original plans. It was a lot easier just to pull the one section of siding off and add the flashing.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
3/12/21 8:27 a.m.

Late to the party, but here's my wife's big deck. The section under the overhang and stairs were built with the house. Last year we had the drop section built and structure added to support our hot tub. I wish it was all built at the same time making them a bit more cohesive, but now that it's all done you can hardly tell they were two separate structures.

Untitled by hatchethairy, on Flickr

And during the build/rebuild phase:

And the view:

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/3/21 12:40 p.m.

asif4li
asif4li New Reader
12/22/23 12:26 a.m.

In reply to Patientzero : Hi,

Deck railing contractors

You can find more images and details about deck-building ideas and maintenance tips from expert deck builders:

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/22/23 12:32 a.m.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
12/22/23 8:27 a.m.

I've built a lot of decks.  

I like multi level decks for visual interest, but this one had to be a single level with a ramp so my Dad could negotiate it with his wheelchair.  I got the visual interest by breaking the plane with the pergola, and the various seating areas.

Before:

After:

The Trek Deck is awesome!  I built this alone.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/22/23 9:16 a.m.

I've been meaning to ask, so, I'll piggyback on this thread.

The question is what stain would cover the old red stain, but still preserve and protect the "new" untreated PT best?

I originally thought a dark chocolate brown over the whole shebang would be best, but am having second thoughts due to the fact that this thing roasts in near 100% summer sun. I have to do some repairs simply to keep it usable, but recognize I'll have to get stain on there soon. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sB271lUO47mzG0vZZGzy34NsZmIhpoT0wLw9Hyq3gHEiGFkIQHh53BpzTPRweZY6