1 2 3 ... 20
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/23 5:00 p.m.

First I want to thank all the GRMers that helped and encouraged me over the last few years.  This is something that I've been dreaming about but it's a big step so I did tons of researching.  A lot of you answered my PMs and guided me along this journey.  Thank you.

Tomorrow at 1pm I'm closing on this 8.72 acre property.

Plans are currently for a ~1400 sq ft house and a ~4800 sq ft detached garage/workshop.  I'm planning on going off grid with solar/battery and rain water collection.  I might have internet as the only wire to the property but that's not decided yet.  This will be built in a Grassroots manner.  I'm not totally sure about disclosing how much I spend on things yet but may.  I know that I'm lucky to be in a position to do this and that there's lots of people on this planet that couldn't.  I also would like to encourage others to do this when they think it might be too much of a stretch.  We'll see how much I disclose.  I will say that as of now I'm about 35 Challenge builds or 70 half budget builds in for us cheap bastards.

First steps are:

1) Build a toilet/utility shed.  In order to build I need a temp power of 110v 10amp.  I also need to have a porta-potty.  I'm hoping to do a composting toilet and a small solar/battery system to meet those requirements.

2) Build a storage/sleep shed.  I hope to stay on the property while I build but will also be traveling back and forth from my current house.  I'm thinking a simple 8x12 shed built on a trailer (because RV) to have two simple beds and a place to lock up my tools for when I'm not there.

3) Buy a tractor.  I think one will greatly help in the building process and I'll need one afterwards just to mow the half acre of ditch along the road.

I'll be asking for advice on stuff I don't understand so feel free to jump in if you see something I'm doing wrong or can do better.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/14/23 5:11 p.m.

Subbing so I can live vicariously through you

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/14/23 5:15 p.m.

Cool. Looking forward to updates

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/14/23 5:16 p.m.

Note on composting toilets...

They MAY be a big loophole around the Health Department.  (Not sure in FL)

I was looking at a property for a long time in n AL that was deficient for septic. Too close to a lake. Dozens of people had made offers over the years, but no one had been able to get a septic permit. 

I had done composting systems in the past, and asked the Health Dept about a septic furnace. "Huh. We don't know anything about those. That's above our pay grade. You'd have to ask Montgomery"

Expecting lots of issues and stumbling blocks, I sent a request to Montgomery. Within a couple days, I got a written approval back. "That would mean the property would not have an on-site sewage treatment. No need for approval."

Turns out there was NO requirement for the Health Dept to issue a septic permit to begin work. They only had to issue a permit if there was on-site sewage management. 

YMMV. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/14/23 5:18 p.m.

Oh, and the septic furnace would have cost 30-40% less to install than the septic system. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
3/14/23 5:28 p.m.

Great plan , 

but in the world we live in , I would not leave anything of value ( tools ) on the property until it looked like someone was living there,

Too many trailers , compressors , building materials etc disappear , even with security cameras.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/14/23 6:33 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

Yeah, my tool trailer was stolen recently. 

I've got the videos. It doesn't make me feel better to get to watch the jerk drive away with all my stuff. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/14/23 7:59 p.m.

I've been thinking "20ft container" for the "instant shed for building/storing" while eventually working on a retirement site near the sleepy-in-laws

no idea how to reduce the likelihood of someone coming along and deciding to try and taking off with it, though?

also, "in" for vicarious "garage bigger than the house" building/problem-solving

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
3/14/23 8:26 p.m.

What about just finding a cheap cheap rv. Solves the toilet problem and a drive in solution and gets you building quicker. And it would lock.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/14/23 8:27 p.m.
Stampie said:

Plans are currently for a ~1400 sq ft house and a ~4800 sq ft detached garage/workshop. 

Oh, hell yeah!

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/14/23 8:41 p.m.

I'm so excited for you!! And looking forward to many visits to Stampieland in the future!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/14/23 9:19 p.m.

Congratulations! That's going to be an awesome piece of property!!

Second the suggestion for a cheap RV. $2500 would probably get a trailer as good as the "empty shed and porta potty" plan, but with far more creature comforts. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/14/23 9:36 p.m.

Now I'm trying to remember the details from my conversation with your mom about the property she bought and made into a home.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/14/23 9:39 p.m.

Excellent! Def a big step so congrats!

I was just telling Prof Brap about how absolutely completely different we are as people, but that does not prevent me from seeing the pure brilliance in your thought process.

Sounds like it will be a lovely place. Needs a few adopted feral critters as mascots and we will all be planning family vacations to StampieLand, eventually...

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/14/23 9:42 p.m.

Passed on the thread to Dad, as he has experience with most of this.

Immediate response was a hearty congrats, followed by a suggestion to look into a shipping container for storage as the square footage will be similar to building, and should be cheaper.  It'll be very securable and can't be driven off if a truck is hooked to it.  With sprayed-foam insulation he is at $18.75/sq-ft

His primary source of water is rainfall, said he'd send me a detailed email later.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/14/23 10:00 p.m.

That's freakin awesome!  Congrats Stampie!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/14/23 10:02 p.m.

Oh man!  I'm bringing the family down to go camping!  I might even help a bit while the family goes to the zoo!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/14/23 10:40 p.m.

Congrats!  I'm making the assumption that what you bought is the large square of tree covered land.  I see that there is a house next door.   With plans of shop being 4 times bigger than house, its highly likely your place will be "different than what most people would do."  With that "difference" in mind, I highly recommend that you keep a significant barrier of trees between yourself and that house next door.  

Sure, meet the neighbors and be friendly and cordial but I'd keep my cards close to the vest about plans on the land.  People generally don't like change and your arrival could signal change for them.    

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/23 11:04 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Oh man!  I'm bringing the family down to go camping!  I might even help a bit while the family goes to the zoo!

Campy with Stampie!

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
3/14/23 11:58 p.m.

Crossing my fingers for you. Closing's don't count in my world until I'm walking away from the table.

If people look closely you can see the start of the Suwannee river in the bottom left corner of the property. Well, one of the starts.

"Camp Stampie" has a nice ring to it.

madmrak351
madmrak351 Reader
3/15/23 1:42 a.m.

Congratulations!! Hope it all goes smoothly! Looks like a great location.

Stampie
3/15/23 6:38 a.m.

Thanks everyone.  I woke up at 4:30 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep.

I guess the first discussion is going to be the temp living quarters.  I hear what you guys are saying and am pondering.  I'm not so sure about a container.  First it would be as much work to insulate it as building what I was thinking.  Second I worry about getting rid of it once I'm done.  Buying an RV makes sense.  I am kind of kicking myself because I had a customer offer me a very nice RV trailer back in November.  At that point I had just started the buying process so I passed.  I might go by on the way out of town this morning and see if it's still there.  Hopefully tonight I can give more details of the process.  It hasn't been easy.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/15/23 8:05 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

"Tomorrow at 1pm I'm closing on this 8.72 acre property."

Should I start scouting <$500 cars within 1,000 miles of me now?   =~ 0

Congratulations!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/15/23 8:51 a.m.

Congrats!  Looking forward to seeing what you build. 

Stampie
3/15/23 9:38 a.m.

Got to the property this morning to walk it again. Maybe make sure it hadn't been swallowed by a sink hole or something. I entered on the west corner and exited on the east corner. Saw a neighbor pulling out of their drive so I did the friendly I'm not doing anything wrong country wave. He turned towards me which I thought was strange since the road dead ends. Turns out he's a county deputy. Nice guy just wondering what I was up to. Guess that's a good sign. Also means I need to keep my illegal activities to myself. 

1 2 3 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wMoyO7l2svVmwu05ha27Hb8vEMlG9nfdp0leJTUhaZsW553nZTdW1ALHOipjwfd4