1 2
sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
9/16/20 9:26 a.m.

So full Disclosure, I have a number of Katana frames/bikes but only one is titled in my name and registered.  Unfortunately, that one is a bent frame that was supposed to be Mary Jane. So I ended up using a frame that I did not haver papers for, slapped my tag on it and crossed my fingers.  This summer, it seemed like every time I rode Mary Jane something on it would break. Since she also has title issues I decided a new ground up build was in order. I had two possible paths The bent frame I had titled, registered and insured or one I have a salvage cert for.

I decided to go with the bent frame and save the salvage cert frame for a build to sell project.

Introducing "The Problem Child".

Im borrowing the concept from my stalled cheap track day bike for this build.  It should look something like this.

So lets look at that frame.. How bad could it really be?

The tail was swayed about 3" ..  that wont do

Lets cut the tail off of it and graft on a straight one from another frame. I used the "socket" for the factory weld and the motor sub-frame as a jig to keep everything straight.  It worked out well.  I also removed the center stand brackets while I was at it. It turned out pretty nice!

Ill put in a slug to fill that gap.

The original bent frame was an '89 Katana 750. I've always preferred the less boxy and shorter 600 tail section, so the tail grafted on is from a 600.  That also will give me the slightly shorter 600 swing arm for a little better handling. 

In our next installment, We will add some paint to the frame.  

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/16/20 9:30 a.m.

Nice plan, nice work!

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/16/20 9:44 a.m.

Watching. I love gorund up/fix em wrecked bikes. 

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
9/16/20 9:50 a.m.

On With the Show...  I was originally thinking Purple for the build so I went with a "Metallic Dark Metal" from Krylon for the frame.  Everything gets top coated with SprayMax 2K High Gloss Clear.  This stuff is amazing.  Its a two part clear with hardener so it protects against fuel, brake fluid...  ect.

Thats our 15 year old's Virago Build frame in the back.  Start them young folks..

It looks pretty good! 

Let's play with some body colors..

Metallic bubble gum?

Im not feeling it.  Then The wife suggested gray..  ( ok, I actually love the Metallic Bubble Gum.. Thats goig to show up on another build sometime)

Ohhh.. I like that.  She's so smart.  :-)

Lets add some red.

Next Up?  This thing will need a engine..

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/16/20 10:01 a.m.

Love the frame/wheel covers. Couldn’t do the purple, but I like your wife’s tastes!

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
9/16/20 10:16 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I think on a stunt bike build the bubble gum would be killer..  That said, the gray just looks more " factory" which is what im going for.  My vision is a bike that looks factory, but doesnt exist.  :-)

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
9/16/20 10:35 a.m.

Engines...

The plan is for this bike to eventually get a 1100 GSXR or a Bandit 1200 engine.  That will need to wait until I find a killer deal on a parts bike to provide one.  Until then I have a couple of "unproven" Katana 600 engines as well as "proven" 750 katana engine.  Lets go with the 750.  Its already been sorted out and runs great.

Freshly pulled from Mary Jane..

Its so much easier to just set the frame on the engine..

All Buttoned up!

Next up, Suspension..

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/16/20 5:31 p.m.

I just sold my Katana...sad

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/16/20 5:42 p.m.

I kind of really dig the cel-shading style design in the first picture you posted.

I think you should go with that, like this guy

https://insideevs.com/news/333157/burnie-burns-transforms-his-tesla-model-s-into-a-real-life-video-game-car-video/

BrianC72gt (Forum Supporter)
BrianC72gt (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/16/20 6:02 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

I remember as a young lad on my mildly warmed over CB750K (811 Weiscos, kerker 4-1, smoothbores, reworked suspension, wire delete, gp bars, accel coil, barnett clutch blah blah blah)  how the original Katana looked like a spaceship shooting lazer beams, and now its like a retro SJM with a funky cafe fairing.  Still beautiful though.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/16/20 8:17 p.m.

In reply to BrianC72gt (Forum Supporter) :

Tellin' your age with that one! I agree with every word, as well.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
9/16/20 9:59 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

I just sold my Katana...sad

One of these is on my Bike It list...

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
9/17/20 8:12 a.m.

Lets face it..  Im not exactly thin and the Katana suspension was not designed for a person weighing 260lbs.  Whats a boy to do.....

For the front, its easy.. Race Tech has the answers for a reasonable price.  The Stock front springs are 63 kg/mm.  According to  the Race Tech spring calculator, at my weight and on a katana I should have 1.05 kg/mm springs.  So I picked up a set of 1.0 kg/mm (the closest rate available) and a set of their Gold Valve Cartridge Fork Emulators.  I also picked up a fork seal set. 

For the rear, I went with a 01-05 Bandit Rear Shock.  The spring rate is a good match to the new fronts and I found a low mile one cheap.  It will raise the rear  a couple of inches from stock however.  That's ok, I have a plan...

In an effort to get the bike rolling, Im not going to do the fork springs and emulators just yet.  So for now, lets just get the Triple Tree, Forks and front wheel/tire mounted.

For our next trick, we will need a little help from the Cherry Picker.

With the front rolling lets turn our attention to the rear.  To compensate for the extra rear height added by the Bandit Shock/Spring I cut the upper shock mount off of the bent rear frame, flipped it over and welded it to the new frame.  This raised the top mount enough to get the bike back to level.  ( At least I hope.. :-) )

Lets put on the swing arm,shock, rear tire and some body work and take a look at what we've got so far.

It was about now that I discovered that the rear spring doesn't clear the swing arm anymore.  (it did before I moved the upper mount) Groovy, I made a hardtail..  I'll need to fix that. Lets take it back apart, make a bigger shock pocket and try again.

That should work

I like the 600 tail, but I'm not fond of the 2 piece 600 seat. I feel like it pushes me too far forward where the one piece 750 seat lets me sit further back. 

To make that seat work I need to remove the rear seat mount but leave its sides so I can still mount the side fairings.

More on the seat later. 

Exhaust and more body work up next..

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
9/17/20 8:40 a.m.

Moving right along...

I have the front end together mostly, brakes cleaned and painted, and even the exhaust built.  

Im also thinking wheel stripes would look nice.

And some body work and seat..

Pretty, but I think this cut of the rear fairing looks more finished.

Im also looking at trimming the Front Fender a bit.

And with that,  you are caught up to today!  Hope for more progress this weekend!

solfly
solfly Dork
9/17/20 9:41 a.m.

i'm far from a motorcycle guy but that's cool

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
9/17/20 10:01 a.m.
solfly said:

i'm far from a motorcycle guy but that's cool

Thank You!!

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
9/17/20 10:23 a.m.

That looks fantastic. You have a good eye for design. 

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
9/17/20 11:16 a.m.
OjaiM5 said:

That looks fantastic. You have a good eye for design. 

Thank you so much! I enjoy it a lot

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
9/19/20 9:03 a.m.

Last night I made some spool mounts for the swing arm and a beefier fork brace.  I also cut the fender.  It was a good night ;)

I used my three favorite fab tools for this.... My grinder with a cut-off wheel, the one with the sanding disk and vise grips.  Ok I also used a sharpie and a drill. 

For the fork brace, I found some thick aluminum in the scrap bin at work.  I Stared by tracing the brace.

After a lot of cutting sanding and drilling I had a new stiffer brace

Freshly cut fender...  Oh and I striped the front wheel.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/19/20 6:05 p.m.

Def. looking rather tasty!

Btw, that AL looks like it has a pretty high "alloy" content... prolly pretty strong

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
9/21/20 12:31 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Thanks!   Its coming along nicely!  Yeah...  Im not sure what that plate was in its past life, but it looked like overkill for its application.  :-)

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/21/20 12:47 p.m.

That exhaust looks wild, how loud is it?

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/21/20 4:30 p.m.

My dad had some old main frame pieces from the 80’s looked like that plate. Way stronger then the common aluminum ya see

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
9/22/20 7:04 a.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

Im not sure yet...  I still need to wire the bike, add carbs and fire it up.  That said,  it is made up of the finest Chinese EBay parts money can buy, so what could go wrong..  LOL

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
9/22/20 7:10 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Yeah, I was thinking computer related based on the port cutouts and all of the vent slots.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
usgBOEX3M60F7ivlJ02wXtkpjIMf4HUhjYdgTvDV1kKvLIdPLTqiShKUbvcBjMrZ