1 ... 11 12 13 14
corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
7/13/17 5:55 p.m.

I particularly love that this car is called the "Shart".

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
7/14/17 8:25 a.m.

In reply to corsepervita:

Thanks, It was a colloquial nickname when I first got it and it just stuck.

fwingo
fwingo New Reader
7/14/17 10:58 a.m.

Loving this build, years long lurker that finally had to register to pile on the monkey.

Scarebird.com disc conversion kit for US$479.99, or just the caliper brackets for US$105.

The cheapest 5 speed swap, if you know someone that can TIG weld is a late 80s A535 from a Dodge Dakota, though you would have to clearance the tunnel. Slantsix.org 5 speed thread. Also a crazy thread over there with someone adapting a Nissan 350Z CD009 6 speed to a slant.

There are other conversion bell housings but seem kind of pricey ...$700... to use a W50, T5 or 200r4.

Looking forward to updates!

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
7/14/17 11:35 a.m.

In reply to fwingo:

Well thanks for registering to respond to my goofball thread, I'm honored!

I've seen the scarebird stuff and like it, but at this point my intention is to get 4.5" bolt pattern on the car (as I already have the rear end for it) so I think I'm going to try and get some later A-body factory front discs.

I wouldn't mind putting a stick in mine either- I've looked at some of the OD A833 trans that exist, but again I'm not sure how much I want to stick in to the slant 6 driveline.

Thanks for the input!

I'm gonna start modifying my existing turbo kit to make it blowthrough, but I just got tickets to the X Games this weekend so I don't think I'll be working on it much. Who knows, maybe I'll go stick some tubes together tonight.

Nicklovin
Nicklovin New Reader
7/14/17 12:10 p.m.

Man I love this car hahaha, hope you go through the thread and replace all the photos photobucket messed up

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
7/14/17 12:19 p.m.

The A833 (including the OD version) is a pretty strong trans, you could leave it in the car with a V8 swap (assuming the input shafts are the same).

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
7/14/17 3:25 p.m.

In reply to Nicklovin:

Thank you!

I'll work on it one of these days.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
7/17/17 8:11 a.m.
Nicklovin wrote: Man I love this car hahaha, hope you go through the thread and replace all the photos photobucket messed up

Done! Everything should be switched to Imgur now.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
7/17/17 8:46 a.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: The A833 (including the OD version) is a pretty strong trans, you could leave it in the car with a V8 swap (assuming the input shafts are the same).

They are. Bellhousing is the only difference, so buyi g a v8 bell would be necessary.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
7/19/17 9:16 a.m.

Well. This may be a disappointing update to some, but it isn't for me. The Shart and I have parted ways. Much like it came into my life it was towed to a friends house with a tow strap and a red chevy (GMC) pickup.

It went to the friend that was there the first night I got it and helped me hot-wire it so he's been along for the ride the whole time and knows the car well. I removed all the turbo stuff and connected the exhaust manifold to the downpipe for him, he plans on running it with an Offenhauser intake and a 4 barrel carb.

Here she is in her new home. Safe and sound.

Me, I'm back down to 2 cars and feel great about it. I have some good adventures planned for the Truck this fall, as well as some drag racing, so I'll try to keep that thread going.

To GRM- Thank you all for your interest, comments, ideas, criticisms - everything. It was a great ride and I accomplished what I wanted to do and then some with this car. I had a blast and learned a ton about myself and my skills. I hope me selling this in no way is off-putting for anyone who's considering a similar project, I simply just had done what I wanted to do with it. I am going to TRY and maintain a 2 car fleet from now on, but I promise nothing.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
7/19/17 9:42 a.m.

Success!

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
7/19/17 10:02 a.m.

I can appreciate that.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
7/19/17 11:29 a.m.

You win!

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
7/19/17 1:19 p.m.

Sometimes you have to downsize the fleet, i can understand that. I enjoyed following along!

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
7/19/17 1:39 p.m.

The new owner should purchase the Clifford's intake, not the Offy because the Clifford has bungs for port fuel injection....

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
7/19/17 1:56 p.m.

The four barrel will be too big.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
7/19/17 2:17 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

On paper probably, but if my 170 horse 305 can run efficiently with a 750 (quadrajet) It'll probably be alright.

Besides, if you'll recall I was running a 770 cfm with the turbo setup.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I was afraid people would think I was giving up on the thing, which isn't the case. I had my fun, now it's time to move on.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
7/20/17 8:46 a.m.

I'm updating the truck thread and fixing all the dead photobucket links and came across this... Looks like thinning the herd has been on my mind since February:

Gunchsta said: I also have another question for the group: How do you prioritize love affairs with multiple cars? I've always struggled to own multiple cars, let alone multiple 'toys'. I do pretty good with a daily driver and a toy, but now I'm at a daily driver and 2 toys and it's causing me some grief as I struggle with "which one I love more" - and the fact that I only have 1 garage stall and I feel guilty letting something sit outside. I realize I am extremely fortunate to even have this issue, but none the less I'm looking for some input on how everybody copes with multiple cars without specific transportation purposes.

Looks like I solved that issue!

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
7/20/17 9:52 a.m.

Thanks for the ride, maybe Dad will scare something up that you just can't walk away from.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
7/20/17 11:53 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG:

Ah presently Dad is scaring up a desire to stay far away from old stuff- Nearly lost a fingertip last night helping him cut the coils in that 4 door Fairlane. Damn springs are like 4' long and fit into an 18" space in the shocktower. Yuck. I'll be excited when that job is done.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/20/17 2:16 p.m.
pres589 wrote: The four barrel will be too big.

I've run 4 barrels on much smaller.

barefootskater
barefootskater
7/21/17 3:53 p.m.

Sad to see this project go away. I don't claim to be a car expert but one thing I do know a little about is making an old, carbed, N/A engine run with a turbo. If the new owner is interested in keeping the turbo have him spend some time on shoptalkforums.com. There is a ton of info on making things work on draw through or blow through applications. I ran my old mostly stock 1600 with 8psi going through the stock carb with very simple modifications. No need for a pressure box for the carb either, as long as it is properly sealed and the vent tube sees all the boost. Anyway, happy wrenching, and thanks for sharing the adventure.

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent New Reader
7/21/17 6:50 p.m.

Tell your friend to join up and begin his own build thread on the continuing adventures of The Shart. Hate to lose this one, especially to a GMC.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/21/17 7:26 p.m.

"CATCH AND RELEASE" can be a great lifestyle.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/21/17 7:28 p.m.

In reply to Gunchsta:

It appears you're in the Twin Cities area...if's funny I haven't seen the car around town.

A guy who works for my company in another building has a turbocharged slant six Dart - it's a later model (1968-19070 I think) wit megasquirt and fuel injection. I've only seen it once, several years ago, but it appeared to be well done.

1 ... 11 12 13 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0Bn6OMxHJbHRuXbJohRmkfbLPw4rjG1EY9kuMU8ODoicEQ1G6wORQVpg1tUMoKqO