Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle Reader
2/19/24 1:08 p.m.

This was my high school ride and before that, was our family truck since 1985. Super straight, truly rot free. Has minor surface rust from sitting but no surgery required. Factory A/C cab. Perfect tailgate, excellent 8' bed. No front sheet metal. Lots of bits and pieces in the bed including trim and front structure. I took it apart in 2002 as a young idiot because it needed rubber and wiring, and it's been sitting since. For those who don't know, the body is identical to C10, so this could work for that build if you prefer the light-duty frame and running gear. Photos are all of right side cuz it's all snugged up against the shop wall on the left, but I promise it looks the same. Fiberglass 4" cowl hood and GM OE bucket seats included. Rolls and steers. Needs to be gone by mid-March. Location: 75069. Make me an offer.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
2/19/24 3:24 p.m.

Man, that's exactly what I am looking for for my son to learn on (except hoping for a dodge) but it's a long way away.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
2/29/24 7:45 p.m.

Why is there not a lineup for this? Clean reasonably priced squarebodies are not a normal occurrence.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/29/24 7:47 p.m.
chandler said:

Why is there not a lineup for this? Clean reasonably priced squarebodies are not a normal occurrence.

Because Texas is a long drive for me. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/29/24 8:02 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

x2

chandler
chandler MegaDork
2/29/24 8:10 p.m.

16 hours here, I know. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
2/29/24 9:08 p.m.

In the summer of 1979 my buddy bought a 1973 K20 4x4 - rotten fenders, flapping lower doors, rusted rear bed wheel wells then the floors were found to be non existing.  There was a date code somewhere on the frame and his was built towards the end of 1972 as a NEW 1973.  These things weren't built to handle the midwestern winter salt. 

Guy mentioning for his kid? No rust issues?  Every part at that catalog place near Kansas City?  And priced reasonably?  Ever price out 240Z bumpers or Datsun 510 fenders or gas tanks?  DO IT!

In the end my buddy rebuilt it all as a 17-20 year old.  DO IT!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/29/24 10:03 p.m.

Isn't driven5 looking for an inexpensive truck to turn into an endurance racer?

This is my vote.  All of the fuel.  Light weight.  Can chop and cut to make narrower, shorter, lighter, faster.

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle Reader
2/29/24 10:40 p.m.

I had delusions of making this a legit race truck with a twin-turbo dry-sumped flat-plane 540+ BBC with a sequential box...custom me-built tubular frame, suspension, etc. Then I started racing lightweight cars and realized my 5000 lb race truck dreams were nothing but a money pit with mediocre results at best. Daydreaming and compiling parts lists sure kept me entertained thru those long afternoon classes in school though.

The only "problem" with the truck is it's not a shortbed. All the cool kids think shortbeds are the only option and longbeds are a dumb waste of scrap metal. Having hauled dozens of full sheets of plywood, I wholeheartedly disagree. This is a truck that did truck things pretty well.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
2/29/24 10:50 p.m.

In reply to Nockenwelle :

If someone was really motivated, there are kits to convert them to short beds with all the frame and body pieces needed to cut and reweld as a short bed. 

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle Reader
3/1/24 1:38 a.m.

In reply to No Time :

Yeah, but there's no way in hell I'd slice up a bed this good.

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle Reader
3/19/24 12:58 p.m.

Last chance... T-minus 6 days.

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
3/21/24 6:08 p.m.

Dammit, man. I'd love to get that, but I'm in KS and it's still 8 hrs away. What engine/trans did it start with?

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle Reader
3/22/24 11:16 a.m.

It started life with a 350/350 combo, but I put a 454/400 in it. It was my first real engine build, made decent power. I used to drag race it every Friday T&T. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kauoSaH18AJF9BUaJtQ3RAlhqjaCz7XIkNzCzt0dmKLie0QdiWvWwjA0Mqq4R5So