ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/8/23 12:52 p.m.

Sadly, its time for me to sell this.  I've really enjoyed driving it around, but I am moving soon to apartment life and I need to downsize.  This car doesn't work for all of my needs :( 

I'll update this thread with some recent pics, but the car is effectively almost the same as when I purchased it.  I repaired the rearview mirror, the corner lights, swapped to the fun wheels/tires, put street brake pads on, changed some fluids, and have just been driving it. 

I am posting here first to hopefully pass it on to the GRM family.  GRM discounted price is exactly what I paid:  $11k.  I will consider trades that involve a manual hatchback suited for DD use. 

Mazda3 2.5 or a very nearly stock Mazdaspeed would both interest me.

Or a Golf of some sort.

Or a Prius / LexusPrius

Placeholder pic:

Current mileage is 154747.

Original list from BoxheadTim, who I purchased this from 1 year ago.  Mileage adjusted

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited, 6MT, with recently fitted low-mileage 2016 motor (with paperwork), 2020 OEM airbox and 2017+ tail lights. Approx 155k on the chassis, less than 30k on the engine. Comes with a second set of wheels (bronze Enkei RPF-1s fitted with Falken RT660s).

Put this together as a daily driver I could occasionally take to an HPDE, with an eye on improving on-track reliability. Not a garage queen (hence the miles) and yes, it's been on the track a few times. Clean and clear WV title in my name in hand, WV inspection until 2/2023.

Mod list - from memory, might be missing a mod or two:

•  FTSpeed catted header w/ HKS overpipe and Perrin 2.5" exhaust. Car also comes with the OEM header
  • Openflash tune for the above, tablet comes with the car. Pretty much eliminates the torque dip
  • JDM Aero underpanels
  • Yellow Konis with stock springs
  • Koyo Radiator
  • Jackson Racing oil cooler
  • Killer-B oil pickup
  • Oil pan baffle plate (GReddy, I believe - I'll have to check)
  • Mishimoto metal coolant header tank
  • Metal coolant filler neck and silicone radiator hoses
  • Minor brake upgrades - braided lines, Carbotech XP10 pads, Castrol SRF brake fluid that's a couple of months old
  • Verus Engineering forged clutch fork
  • Verus Engineering fuel flap
  • MTEC clutch spring for better clutch feel. Makes the clutch slightly heavier, but it's barely noticeable and even I with my recurring clutch foot issues can easily manage it.
  • Alpine headunit with Carplay/Android Auto

Some additional recent work on the car:

• Clutch replaced with a full OEM spec Exedy clutch kit when I had the engine replaced
  • Engine mounts replaced with new OEM mounts
  • Replacement engine started throwing the dreaded P0018 so I had the whole timing set and all four actuators replaced so we only had to go in there once
  • All four brake calipers and rotors replaced last year - front were remans, rears brand new OEM Subaru. One front caliper replaced again in the last couple of months after it waved a white flag on the track

My Thread:  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2013-brz/197391/page1/

Boxhead's FS Post:  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/2013-subaru-brz-limited-w-reliability-mods-very-much-mine/196741/page1/

BoxheadTim's Ownership Thread:  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2013-subaru-brz-the-salaryman-build/181557/page1/

Pics as of 8/12/2023

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/8/23 2:35 p.m.

I'll be like the 75 facebookers that I dealt with for 3 days on my Civic before I pulled the plug and went to Craigslist;

will you take $7500?

JK - not intending to aggravate.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/8/23 2:59 p.m.

How many owners total?

That gas leak fixed?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/9/23 1:37 p.m.

I haven't replaced the fuel pump gasket, no.  To clarify, its not a gas leak, its fumes, and only with a full tank.  I've honestly just been filling to 80% or so.  Not sure how many owners.

Hoping to follow up with some clean pics this afternoon, but its currently raining here so I'm not sure how likely that is :(

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/9/23 3:26 p.m.

I really like it - just trying to justify a 4th car in my driveway...........and squeezing the additional $4k out of my budget. 

Jcoatney
Jcoatney New Reader
7/30/23 11:00 p.m.

Is this still for sale?  Very interested. 

Jcoatney
Jcoatney New Reader
7/30/23 11:01 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Is this still for sale?  Thanks

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/31/23 7:09 a.m.

Yes

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/12/23 6:47 p.m.

Updated with current pics.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/12/23 10:25 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Updated with current pics.

That thing looks sweet.

nerdtastic
nerdtastic New Reader
8/13/23 11:31 a.m.

Being it started as a northern car, any undercarriage pics? 
Thanks in advance! 

Honda_newb
Honda_newb New Reader
8/15/23 7:48 p.m.

Interested in this missed it the last go around now to talk the other half into letting me buy another car before I finish the other two projects in line. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/15/23 10:05 p.m.

I got a message from someone here and responded.  They send their phone number but missed a digit.

re: underbody I'll see if I can get it in the air on Thursday for some pics.  It's in good condition.  I don't have rust concerns.

Honda_newb
Honda_newb New Reader
8/16/23 8:01 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Well if it's still available in a week and a half I'll be in touch for sure

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/17/23 10:58 p.m.

Underbody pics as requested:

Surface rust on the rear subframe and on fasteners is definitely evidence of being up north, but I see/feel nothing questionable from a structural standpoint.  I'd probably just scuff up things and spray on some protective paint/por 15 whenever the bushings get replaced.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
8/23/23 4:43 p.m.

Any interest in a trade for a 2011 105,000 mi VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI w/DSG? 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/23/23 4:45 p.m.

I have someone coming to look at/probably buy next week, otherwise, yes, I would be interested in that!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
khlKbbAcBbfXdOpxha0UWPvSTBWefKCNdmdxKHowaS2mvXY91JZppe0gv2RvHu5h