Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
8/21/22 10:07 p.m.

Not mine, but it's pretty interesting if someone wants what is likely a real Lotus 7 with much sweat equity involved.

https://usa7s.net/ips/topic/13915-lotus-7-project/

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/22 11:04 p.m.

Oooo. Note, if you are larger than Colin Chapman, don't even think about it. OG Sevens are small.

I think legit Lotus frames were brazed, weren't they?

Registration might be a challenge with no MSO and no chassis numbers. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/22 5:11 a.m.

Wow!

And just out of curiosity, how tall was Colin Chapman?

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
8/22/22 6:36 a.m.

That is one huge lawn mower. 

I have driven a restored 7 across the upper peninsula of Michigan, I fit just fine.  Highly recommend a passenger for passing on a two lane in a right hand drive car.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
8/22/22 7:27 a.m.

I have to forget seeing this.  I'd really want to have a titled "real car vs another garage toy.  4K for a real Lotus 7 is actually a deal but not sure how to deal with the title ish.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
8/22/22 7:39 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Supposedly 5'6"-5'7" according to dubious internet sources. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
8/22/22 11:12 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

5'6" and tiny feet. It is not just the height.  This was an original BMC powered car according to the gearbox mounting visible in one pic. This is a good deal for someone with a spare Sprite/Morris Minor power train laying about. 

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
8/23/22 9:19 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I didn't realize that BMCs were put in early 7s. That's much more available than a Kent around here.  What rear axle did they use? Cortina or a Leyland product?

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/23/22 10:14 a.m.

Oh my. 

This is exactly the kind of thing I want to move into whenever I retire the E21... and it's 30 min from me. 

Keith Tanner
8/23/22 12:11 p.m.

We expect an update in 32 minutes. 

AxeHealey
8/23/22 12:46 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Made contact. No trigger has been pulled. 

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
8/25/22 1:30 p.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

Pull a trigger?  I really want it for no good reason, but it doesn't fit in my life.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/25/22 1:48 p.m.

Serious Q.  It looks like it should be fairly easy to prove its a genuine Lotus chassis, even without a VIN.  I konw it's state by state, but is there a realsitic way to get one assigned so you could register it, preferably not as a replica?

Keith Tanner
8/25/22 1:52 p.m.

Maybe reach out to Lotus and/or Arch Motors and see if they can provide the needed documentation?

AxeHealey
8/25/22 2:12 p.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

Ugh, I haven't. I'm really trying to be good as I'm tracking down parts for one race car and getting the second ready to race in October. 

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

In talking with the seller, apparently the piece that used to have the VIN is a common one that's removed to increase pedal box size(?). I think that's the only modification to the chassis. I didn't ask him about any paths to registration as, in my hands, it would strictly be a race car. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
8/26/22 10:21 p.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

Final drive is a Stanpart unit. Sourced originally from Standard8/TriumphTR10. Same 3.75" bolt pattern as front hub.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YdIOWUrfDUNY8w2e4eJKDAGJ0PlXEzvDJSvO0mDOHC90AF5jIFbGJibTkmQgPsNR