Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/21 1:43 p.m.

Are you pulling my canoe with that winch? 

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
4/28/21 3:33 a.m.

Since a canoe started it, I'll actually ask...

I just found a deal on a fabricated winch mount bumper for my 03 F350 fx4, and should put a winch in. Any suggestions for a inexpensive one and size for this beast?

Toyman01 + Sized and
4/28/21 5:21 a.m.

I'm running a X-Bull 13k on my XJ and have been happy with it. It came from Amazon for $350. It is strong enough to drag the XJ with all 4 tires locked on concrete. It also came in handy for straightening the frame on the P71 after my DIL wrecked it. 

As to ratings, 1.5 to 2 times the vehicle weight. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
4/28/21 6:38 a.m.

And I'll add, Warn is the big name in winches. By far the best. Fastest line speed for pull weight. Probably the most durable. Made in the USA. They are also very expensive.

They have a made-in-China line that is less expensive but still 2+ times what the X-Bull cost. I was not willing to pay extra for a name. I also wanted to be able to relocate the relay box to get it out from in front of the radiator. The newer Warn winches don't make that look possible. 

20201031_133203.jpg

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltimaDork
4/28/21 6:43 a.m.

I looked at winches a lot when I had the ZJ a couple years ago. The Badlands stuff from HF was decently thought of too - about the same cost as the X-Bull. Line speed is definitely better with the name brand stuff, but reliability seems about the same on everything but the top-top tier. At least, that was my summary after a lot of internet reading, I never dropped the money on one. 

I decided I was happy not having one because it made me much more cautious when exploring solo. 

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/28/21 11:35 a.m.

The HF badlands has come a long way - apparently. I just bought a 5k one for my side by side, for like $160 on coupon. Really hard to beat that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p7TliVLHHXkVlUuC0HY0iw1wCw8yzopwnqaknUJAWil3CVR8KVZEmKsCTee1hWD1