OldGray320i
OldGray320i New Reader
12/24/10 4:01 p.m.

So a friend of my daughters has an 06 PT, all the lighting execpt the passenger side low beam functions brilliantly (pun intneded). Both head lamp fuses were fine (didn't know which one was left/right), but, no power gets to the bulb.

Bulb is fine, kid switched it to driver side, lights up. Signals are fine, high beams work, etc....

Local brake max says kid needs a new "power module" to the tune of $672.

It does not seem to me that a module (as opposed to relays?) would go bad affecting just the low beam circuit, but, I know nothing about these things, so please school me.

I must have issues posting on Christmas Eve, but...

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 HalfDork
12/24/10 4:47 p.m.

First thing I'd check would be the wiring. It's eerily similar to a problem I had with a '57 Chevy that had had an engine fire and baked the wiring. The front clip wiring was all brittle; it'd break if you looked at it cross-eyed. Locallized fire, maybe?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/25/10 6:12 a.m.

Are you sure there is no power? How about a bad ground? Did you get out the multimeter and tested at the plug or is this based only on the bulb swap "test". Not trying to be a wise guy just trying to save you / her a pile of $$$$.

Is there a way to test the PCM other than just swapping it. I really hate those places that will not test anything BUT if you plug the new component into your car it becomes non returnable. For something like this it may be worth paying some one to test the unit if it is not a DIY job.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
12/25/10 10:47 a.m.

There is a big multi switch that does most of that - easy to change.

erohslc
erohslc Reader
12/25/10 7:14 p.m.

Junkyard, FTW

OldGray320i
OldGray320i New Reader
12/27/10 9:27 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Are you sure there is no power? How about a bad ground? Did you get out the multimeter and tested at the plug or is this based only on the bulb swap "test". Not trying to be a wise guy just trying to save you / her a pile of $$$$. Is there a way to test the PCM other than just swapping it. I really hate those places that will not test anything BUT if you plug the new component into your car it becomes non returnable. For something like this it may be worth paying some one to test the unit if it is not a DIY job.

Yeah, stuck a multi meter in the plug for the bulb, no juice - possible that I didn't get a good connection, but worth a retry.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i New Reader
12/27/10 9:28 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: There is a big multi switch that does most of that - easy to change.

Where is that bad boy located?

OldGray320i
OldGray320i New Reader
12/27/10 9:30 p.m.
erohslc wrote: Junkyard, FTW

If it comes to that (sounds like it will?), that would be the next step....

Thanks to all for the replys, sorry to take so long posting back (and hope you all had a good christmas...).

The good news is (not), just had to replace the alternator in the e30; rear shock mounts next, so it seems as though this is the week for repairs....

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
12/28/10 7:38 a.m.
OldGray320i wrote:
tuna55 wrote: There is a big multi switch that does most of that - easy to change.
Where is that bad boy located?

Under the steering column. Called the "multifunction switch" or some nonsense. Mine failed and caused the fog lights to stay on. 15 minutes and $75. I have no proof that that is it, but it sounds right to me.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
12/28/10 7:41 a.m.

Are they HID headlights? If so, it's not uncommon for the igniter or control unit (box inder the headlight) to go out. Many people think HID's are just pretty headlight bulbs when there more like a compact flourescent than any filament type bulb.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
12/28/10 9:49 a.m.

Sounds totaled to me

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jNduhbqrwFQxKL9hp1rbC7OWH0dR0jshwbRmTAxtSMzdfCUiEw9CFOahqdpkJjkx