1 2
Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/30/23 11:26 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:

This is exactly what I'm going for with my 62 Midget. I want rpm, noises, sideways, and silly. 

I have always wanted to put a Cosworth BDA in my Datsun.

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle Reader
8/31/23 12:55 a.m.

I'd like to point out something most of us would consider obvious after watching, but...

Those tires. Tuthill really was going for motorcycle, wasn't he? It says a lot that those 185(?) fronts are enough.

My motivation to build track-focused machinery that doesn't follow the Chapman rule wanes by each notable victory in defense of it.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/23 1:08 a.m.

This may just be me but I have not seen Chris Harris in a while and he seems to have turned in to an abrasive prick. Is this a new thing or???  I really liked him in the past but here not so much. I actually had to stop watching about half way through because of this.  

The car is amazing no question about that!!!  

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
8/31/23 7:48 a.m.

He seemed like he was channeling his inner Clarkson

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/31/23 8:53 a.m.

I love how the builder was like "I hate carbon fiber. Anyway the whole thing is carbon fiber and I made sure you could never tell." Especially those wheels...so stealth.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
8/31/23 9:47 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

That's what I'd do. Aesthetically I don't like the exposed carbon weave in a non-race car.

Like he said, the Kevlar looking stuff is the new fangled flax based composite, supposed to be more eco-friendly than the usual carbon cloth

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
8/31/23 11:36 a.m.

I like old Chris Harris better too, my hope is that some of it is personality for the camera. General viewership likes that kind of behavior, apparently. Especially on YouTube.

that said, I was grinning through pretty much the whole video. That excitement, that car that's intended to be all about the experience, what a thing indeed. I love that it weighs nothing, that it doesn't go chasing numbers, and that it still has old-style tires and really keeps you, the driver, at the center of the experience. I also love that the creator isn't afraid to cane it around that course.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
8/31/23 11:49 a.m.

I liked the California plates on a UK car .......I wonder if it needed to pass MOT ?

thewheelman
thewheelman Reader
8/31/23 12:11 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I think a lot of what you see is banter between friends - Harris and Tuthill go back a few years if not more. There are several videos of the two of them sampling various Tuthill modified/built cars over the years. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/31/23 2:01 p.m.

In reply to Nockenwelle :

At one time I had kept an article (since misplaced) about a 911 built by Ninemeister in Britain. IIRC it had 205/50/15 fronts and 225/45/15 rears, which surprised me a bit. Wheels were 15x7 and 15x8. Then I started looking up dimensions for these old Porsches and realized they're basically Miata sized, then it made more sense.

This one.....it's actually a backdated 964, so it will be heavier that the one in the video.

See the source image

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/23 2:12 p.m.

it's not an animal, it's an extraterrestrial psychopath of an automobile.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/31/23 3:11 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

I love how the builder was like "I hate carbon fiber. Anyway the whole thing is carbon fiber and I made sure you could never tell." Especially those wheels...so stealth.

To be fair, he didn't say he hated CF he said he didn't like the way it looks. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/23 9:34 p.m.
j_tso said:

In reply to maschinenbau :

Like he said, the Kevlar looking stuff is the new fangled flax based composite, supposed to be more eco-friendly than the usual carbon cloth

You're not dissuading me from pursuing my Bad Idea of making panelwork out of bedsheets and epoxy.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/31/23 9:38 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

You're not dissuading me from pursuing my Bad Idea of making panelwork out of bedsheets and epoxy.

You misspelled "Awesome Idea" there, Pete.

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/31/23 11:05 p.m.
Tom1200 said:
Teh E36 M3 said:

This is exactly what I'm going for with my 62 Midget. I want rpm, noises, sideways, and silly. 

I have always wanted to put a Cosworth BDA in my Datsun.

I don't know how high he is turning it, but he seems to normally shift 4-5 at 9000-9500ish, and the engine seems to sing at 9000 with bumps to 10k when in 5th gear.

The tach needle stops moving about 500rpm past the 10k mark, and when he shifts 1-4 he accelerates past the peg for a couple agonizing seconds.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/31/23 11:13 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

The Datsun A-series engine can be revved to 9000 rpm but it wears out the top end in a hurry.

I love the idea of a Formula Atlantic engine noise emanating from my Datsun.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
8/31/23 11:30 p.m.

I am curious if Tuthill used a Singer Porsche body for this car or if they created there own?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l71qPM_IMcI

If you watch this video they show exactly what a all carbon 911 looks like. Wow!

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
9/1/23 12:43 a.m.

The willingness to rev an engine that high is, I think, inversely proportional to one's financial ties to it. In the case of the rally driver, I bet that he doesn't work on the car and doesn't pay for the broken parts... making it easy to do what he's doing. My problem was that I paid for every bit of Midlana and painted myself into a corner cost-wise, afraid I'd break it, and just had too much mechanical sympathy - and lack of a big budget - to really beat on it.

Rigante
Rigante Reader
9/1/23 4:23 a.m.

When Chris Harris has to concentrate that much and is pretty scared of it, I'd be dead on the first corner

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/1/23 5:30 a.m.

In reply to kb58 :

That 'scort is Jari-Matti Latvala's personal car.  An amazing number of WRC drivers own Mk1 or Mk2 'scorts.  (dang forum filter)  So yes, he's paying for it smiley

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
9/1/23 7:44 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Everyone with a big enough bank account can build a new Mk2 Ford Econobox  these days. I watch a lot of British rallying live feeds and there are many cars built from brand new MST shells and using 2.5 Millington engines. They must be absolutely frantic to drive on a rally stage

Edit: Every time I type e.s.c.o.r.t. it changes to Econobox.........

j_tso
j_tso Dork
9/1/23 8:39 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

At least make sure you use a good thread count.

californiamilleghia
9/1/23 11:10 a.m.

This car was at Monterey last year , 2022

And it seems Tuthill and Singer have  worked together to do a 911 "Safari" build so they probably had some input on the carbon fiber body panels .

I would love to know what you need to do to a 911 motor to make it spin 11K RPM  :)

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/1/23 12:33 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

I would love to know what you need to do to a 911 motor to make it spin 11K RPM  :)

It's actually really simple and people do it all the time. Put your foot into it, run through second, then third but instead of grabbing fourth just head right back to second! Lol

californiamilleghia
9/1/23 12:56 p.m.
adam525i said:
californiamilleghia said:

It's actually really simple and people do it all the time. Put your foot into it, run through second, then third but instead of grabbing fourth just head right back to second! Lol

OUCH , done that many times but quick clutch pedal use saved the motor

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7i1wEDBOw4cTV9sA0vbkD5Y2ER633y2TldvrudxfMg6LNXSTqAo9U4j23MAWnxG5