1 2
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/15 8:59 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: why is everything bold? weird

Because Ed breaks the board every time he posts something.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
6/1/15 9:17 a.m.
MCarp22 wrote: It matches the styling on other new Mazdas, so I don't think this is a late change.

For a car that's so well integrated, that every single part is thought out (part of the GRM review), that's not cool.

Could have used a smaller screen in the same spot and integrated it with flowing lines instead of just placing a tablet on the top of the dash.

I guess I should not complain- it's not as if I'm getting one anytime soon. But this is one reason why I'm not.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/1/15 10:09 a.m.

When I sat in the MX-5 last summer, I wondered if the screen would be intrusive. To be honest, it never was an issue during this trip. We turned off Thursday evening, though, just to see what no screen felt like.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/1/15 10:24 a.m.

I've gotta say......if the screen is the biggest bitch folks have with the new MX-5, it must be a pretty wonderful machine.

I'd also rather have knobs and buttons instead of a distracting screen. ( I've found that-- for me--- touch screens are never an improvement over a center stack) However, if all I have to put up with is a silly screen that (as David said) you don't really notice, and the payoff is having a lighter, more communicative Miata---- I'll take the TV in the dash. I'll just leave it off.

David S. Wallens
6/1/15 11:14 a.m.

My wife's Civic Si uses the screen to adjust the volume of the radio. Yeah, I'd rather have a knob, even a little one.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/15 11:20 a.m.

Using a touch screen for things like radio volume is a dumb idea. Dangerous, even. David, does the new Miata require that or can you use the big knob by the shifter?

One of the first things I'll look into when we get one of these is a screen delete. It's definitely a sore spot for people, I'll have to see what you give up by deleting it.

spider94r
spider94r New Reader
6/1/15 11:44 a.m.

Our '14 Mazda3 has the same system in it and we can do pretty much everything without touching the screen. There's voice control for the NAV and phone functions, steering wheel controls for the radio, phone and some dash display options, and the click wheel controller in the console for scrolling through songs, playlists, favorites, contacts, controlling the NAV display, setting options - pretty much everything.

It's really a nice system to use and very quickly you don't notice it anymore. It just becomes part of how you experience driving the car.

You do have to look at it sometimes, though.

Kevin

David S. Wallens
6/1/15 11:54 a.m.

MX-5 has a volume knob down by the shifter and other controls.

The Civic's volume is better described as part of the touchscreen:

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/1/15 11:56 a.m.

Uhhh... starting to see test data on this car, and i can't really brain around any of it.

I didn't care that it "only" made 155hp from the start, but the numbers it's doing sound hard to believe for only 155hp.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/15 12:06 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Uhhh... starting to see test data on this car, and i can't really brain around any of it. I didn't care that it "only" made 155hp from the start, but the numbers it's doing sound hard to believe for only 155hp.

Its called, "area under the curve" and Mazda has apparently made it as large as possible while working with the gearing to use all of it pretty effectively.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/15 12:07 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Uhhh... starting to see test data on this car, and i can't really brain around any of it. I didn't care that it "only" made 155hp from the start, but the numbers it's doing sound hard to believe for only 155hp.

Automobile Mag article Claims 1/4 of 14.5 at 94 mph.

Wallace Racing Calculator Gets pretty durn close with 2300 lbs, a light driver, and 155 hp.

I'm actually impressed at how close they model each other. Good work Wallace Racing Calculator.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/1/15 12:11 p.m.

Maybe that's 155...at the wheels.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/1/15 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Gearing is a beautiful magic :)

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/1/15 12:14 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Maybe that's 155...at the wheels.

That's honestly how i'm feeling at the moment. Mazda has done that before. Anxious to see dyno charts.

All i know is that STR is about to get real interesting.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/15 12:25 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Appleseed wrote: Maybe that's 155...at the wheels.
Mazda has done that before.

They also totally botched the HP number for the renesis RX8 launch. So maybe they are also trying to go conservative so that they don't get another performace car that doesn't live up to the claim?

David S. Wallens
6/1/15 12:42 p.m.

Those of you on Instagram can find some extra photos of our trip under my feed, too. #grmphoto should help you find them.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/4/15 8:26 a.m.

The impressiveness of this design goes beyond words. This is the first time in mine and my wife's relationship that I, my mom, her, her mom, and her step dad have ever liked the same car. Ever.

That is an amazing feat on its own.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/15 9:27 a.m.

Finally people are starting to understand area under the curve and the "weight" part of power/weight ratios. Those magazine performance times have gone a long way to sending the trolls back under their rocks, thank goodness.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/4/15 9:29 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Finally people are starting to understand area under the curve and the "weight" part of power/weight ratios. Those magazine performance times have gone a long way to sending the trolls back under their rocks, thank goodness.

Area under the curve matters less for 0-60, though. Area under the curve/maybe deflated numbers are demonstrated by this thing doing 5-60 faster than an Ecoboost Mustang. (though i'm sure weight is a huge part of that.)

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
6/8/15 9:49 a.m.

The pricing is out for the launch edition, but is there a configurable price list for the regular cars out there yet?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/8/15 9:53 a.m.

IIRC the prices for all models are out there, not sure if there is any configurability apart from the Brembo package for the Club.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
6/8/15 10:06 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME:If that's what it takes to get something driveable, I guess I'm good. And from the pictures the screen doesn't look too obtrusive anyway. I'm thrilled the dash seems to have seperate heater knobs and such as well! Sometimes running a good heater with the top and windows down can be a great option.

Boy I'm glad we're now out of Bold Font!

Mark_Booth
Mark_Booth New Reader
6/9/15 3:50 p.m.

Ed, Please share your thoughts on seat comfort during the extended road trip in the ND. My wife and I have been known to spend up to 6 weeks at a time touring the country in our NB. We've got a Launch Edition on order and would appreciate feedback on long trip seat comfort. Thanks!

Mark

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
6/9/15 6:04 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Our test car had GPS navigation but, yes, I believe that all MX-5s have the screen. I need to confirm, but I believe it's due to the impending requirement for rear backup cameras across the market. Yell at Washington. By the way, small teaser: The base 2016 Mazda MX-5 weighs one pound more than a 1994 Miata. Not bad, eh? The new car is also 2 inches shorter in overall length.

For plenty of vehicles (even my E36 ), you can't see low stuff when you're backing up, like small children, etc., so backup cameras are a safety issue. Also, how is the fitment in the driver's seat? I'm a tall guy.

Mark_Booth
Mark_Booth New Reader
6/10/15 11:01 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Finally people are starting to understand area under the curve and the "weight" part of power/weight ratios. Those magazine performance times have gone a long way to sending the trolls back under their rocks, thank goodness.

Unfortunately, the magazine performance times only deterred them for about a week to 10 days. The rocks have lifted and some are crawling back out.

Mark

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1ZlpTQ2hTaoWjMagAlQrOvgLUmhLdQSBbgvhOXDOrUwrjgHBmtU0ZCH7JtX6RxEo