1 2 3
ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/7/18 1:59 p.m.

Well...probably.  Jalop is reporting on an Asia-market release with some very encouraging comments from Ford execs about the domestic market.

I would be all over one of these if I could swing the payments.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/7/18 2:00 p.m.

They'd be dumb not to sell it and race it in Baja and Dakar and everywhere. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/7/18 2:15 p.m.

The Raptor Ranger will probably make it here..  The Diesel, probably not.  I'd love more diesel in this country but our emissions standards are too stringent for most current diesels.  Do not think I am complaining about our emissions standards for diesels...  I just spent time in China, India and Europe.  I don't want what they have...

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/7/18 2:38 p.m.

I think it would be a killer with the little Ecoboost from the F150.

Actually, what I really want is a 4 door Bronco SUV with the off-road gear from the Ranger Raptor and the small EcoBoost. But that's pipedream stuff, and probably WAY outside my price range anyway. Hell, the Ranger might be too.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/7/18 2:38 p.m.

$45-50k for that thing I'll bet, it is super cool though.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/7/18 2:43 p.m.

Probably.

And this is up on Ford's site:

wae
wae Dork
2/7/18 2:45 p.m.

What would be needed to adapt the Focus RS drivetrain into that...

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/7/18 2:54 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/7/18 2:57 p.m.

I see these rangers in Europe all the time. I want one....   

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/7/18 3:13 p.m.

While we're falling down the rabbit hole of fast F trucks... Georgia dealership is building 2017/2018 Lightnings

STM317
STM317 Dork
2/7/18 3:15 p.m.

The 2.3 Ecoboost that's already confirmed for the Ranger here in North America is offered with way more HP, and similar TQ of that 2.0 diesel. No reason to go to the trouble of engineering/certifying the diesel here in the US when they can do minor revisions to the stock engine and get similar performance.

Id be a little surprised if the 10 spd will bolt to the 2.3 though. Perhaps that increases the chances of an ecoboost v6 being used? Or would Ford go to the trouble of a special bell housing or engine block for such a niche model?

Edit: The 10 speed/ecoboost 2.3 combo is being offered in the Mustang now, so I guess that question is basically answered.

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
2/7/18 5:25 p.m.

Ranger is getting Ecoboost 2.3 as the standard engine... Basically same as focus RS.  Raptor version rumored to get Ecoboost 2.7 turbo V6 here.  They'd never do the 3.5, that's in the F150 Raptor.  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/7/18 6:38 p.m.

Ford seems like they're listening to the enthusiast. Ever year or two they make something awesome. 

yupididit
2/7/18 6:41 p.m.
ultraclyde said:

Probably.

I'll take one in white with black leather and plates that say "dajuice".

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/7/18 6:53 p.m.
ultraclyde said:

Probably.

Current speculation is that the Bronco will be an Americanized Ford Everest. Don't get your hopes up that it will be BOF.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/18 7:08 p.m.

With the price (and size) of new trucks through the roof, it is time for a smaller and cheaper pickup. I hope Ford follows through and the others take notice.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/7/18 7:23 p.m.
mad_machine said:

With the price (and size) of new trucks through the roof, it is time for a smaller and cheaper pickup. I hope Ford follows through and the others take notice.

100% agreed. I’d drive one of these things. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/7/18 7:33 p.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

I never said anything about body on frame. I just want a capable midsize 4x4 suv. It will probably fit the bill nicely.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/7/18 9:13 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

No worries smiley

It seems everybody wants the second coming of the Bronco to be BOF with solid axles and compete with the Wrangler.

Hell, I'm a Jeep guy and I would love to see a worthy competitor enter the marketplace but the reality of that happening is slim to none.

We will see though cool

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/7/18 9:59 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

They already have the 3.2l 5 cylinder diesel certified in the US in the Transit. No need to do it again unless the Transit falls into some weird medium duty category. I don't think it does though. 

There is NO chance they would bring the 2.0l. As Americans, we demand our diesels to through the Earth's rotation out of wack. No wimpy "practical" diesels here!

STM317
STM317 Dork
2/8/18 4:54 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

I can understand people wanting a diesel, and maybe the 3.2 would work I don't know. But I don't see how it would make sense for Ford. The 3.2 comes with 185hp/350ft-lbs in the Transit. The Ecoboost 2.3 can make that same torque, and way more hp and it won't require engineering new mounts, or cooling systems, or the added weight of a diesel aftertreatment and a DEF tank. Increasing the stock Ecoboost's output via digging through the parts bin and doing a cheap software upgrade seems like the fastest/easiest/most profitable option for Ford if they were to bring this thing stateside. I guess we'll see what happens.

yupididit
2/8/18 6:36 a.m.

Do you think it'll be built off the single cab f150 frame? 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/8/18 6:52 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

No. The Raptor is very much the Ranger with bigger fenders, and all US rangers will share the same frame that's also the global Ranger platform.

Ford developers have already said the Bronco will share the same base frame as the Everest, but will be "it's own, different model."  HOW much different is still anyone's guess. Probably enough different sheetmetal to make it look a little different, but not unrecognizable as an Everest, is MY guess.

By the way...the Global Ranger and Everest ARE Body on Frame construction.... and Ford thinks it's aiming squarely at the Wrangler with it. I don't think that's realistic, but it is the corporate outlook.

Bronco References Here

All of which sounds great to me. The Everest is a great vehicle from what I read, sort of a Ford 4-Runner. Or a modern version of the 3rd gen Explorer, which I loved. 

EDIT: So according to This Australian Website's speculation on an Everest Raptor, the whiz-band watt's link that's spec'd in the Ranger Raptor is standard in the Everest. That's pretty cool.

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
2/8/18 7:01 a.m.

Ford seems to be making some awesome stuff lately it's hard not to like what's coming out of their performance divisions these days.

It seems the most similar competitor already in this market would be the Colorado ZR2? That employs the trick spool valve suspension ala z06 and has custom control arms bigger tires and more aggressive body work. Using that as the benchmark engine options are either the exact same 6 cylinder offered in lower trims or a 2.8l 4 cylinder diesel. I wonder if Ford would consider bringing the diesel given that their competitor offers one? While not exactly a sporty engine choice for baja running I would think it may be a popular option in lesser trim package rangers?

It'll be interesting to see which gas engine the Raptor comes with too, do they use the rumored 2.7l ecoboost for it's truck moving torque or do they keep the 2.3 that's already in the rangers and hop it up with some parts from the mustang/ST/RS parts bins?

I would wonder if the same logic of not stepping on f150 Raptor toes being the reason for not using the 3.5EB motor would be the same reason they chose not to use the 2.7EB? at 325/400hp/tq in a 4700lb Ranger I would think the performance would be kind of close to the the 450/510hp/tq of the 5800lb raptor.

yupididit
2/8/18 11:03 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

Thanks for the insight. I've driven some Ford Everest in Afghanistan. I liked them more than I thought I would. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iIEJhrNzYJMuM0Dl1zfx7Z5jnoudMmY97vU4jfMxzkqkPxhDAUjYV46fnBBj2oVd