1 2 3
Don Fip
Don Fip GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/5/24 2:20 p.m.

Any mention if the EV versions will ship with NACS charging port on day 1?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
3/5/24 2:23 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

In pics, I greatly prefer the current Charger/Challenger. But I'll reserve judgment until I get one in front of me in the real world. 

While I typically agree with your sentiment on the matter, I don't see any redeeming qualities that will make me go "Yea that actually does look like a nice car." 

Also, I really don't see this appealing to the same demographic that the Charger/Challenger does simply because it doesn't have an ICE to go "Vroom." Audible sensory inputs really appeal to some people and I don't see the computer generated engine noises selling those folks. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
3/5/24 2:24 p.m.

Update on pricing. TBA, per Dodge. No indication of exactly when or what kind of price range we're talking.

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
3/5/24 2:48 p.m.

Awesome.  Finally an EV car for enthusiasts.  May it spawn a wave of copycats and 3-5 years from now we're just flooded with choices from Civic Si/VW GTI hot hatches up to NSX/Lotus/McLaren supercars, and everything in between :).  I've seen enough EV truck/suv/cuv debuts to last me a lifetime, but reading this brought a smile to my face. 

Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
3/5/24 2:59 p.m.

An EV for the sideshow crowd. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/24 3:12 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

There are two on my street you can almost hear rusting. I'll try to get pictures of the silver one next time I'm out, front fenders and door sills practically gone. The purple one spends it's winter's in a garage and still getting crusty around the door frames.

I dunno what it is about dodge/fiat/Chrysler/Jeep products, but they don't last around here at all, crusting up before they're even paid off, and seemingly wired by Lucas veterans. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/5/24 4:01 p.m.
Old_Town said:

Sorry, probably behind in the news but is the Challenger name dead (for now) and the Charger will be both the two and four door varieties? 

Yes and yes.  While the Charger will be all electric initially, after a year they're supposed to have a couple versions with a six cylinder internal combustion engine available, although they will have automatic transmissions only - no manuals.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
3/5/24 4:17 p.m.
Don Fip said:

Any mention if the EV versions will ship with NACS charging port on day 1?

I've been told by Dodge it will be a CCS charge port.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/5/24 4:46 p.m.

They did a good job on the styling and maintained the option of a 2 door body. That's good.

The twin turbo inline 6 should be....interesting. We'll see how they hold up. You know every tuner-bro is going to be cranking more boost to them.

The EV does nothing for me, though I'll accept the shared chassis vs no gas model at all.

Mandatory AWD and auto trans? FAIL!!!  Hopefully proper RWD and manual trans options come along at some point.

In the end, none of the above really matters as the price will be 3-4 times what I can afford anyway.☹️

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
3/5/24 5:10 p.m.

Interesting.  Looks good.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/5/24 7:23 p.m.

I understand it may be a bit porky- as in 5800 lbs porky.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
3/6/24 7:34 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

And a few more pictures since Dodge offered us so many:

I don't hate the design, but it's got aspects that seem very dated too. And not just in a retro callback way. I see a lot of 2011 Charger in the rear 3/4:

2011 Dodge Charger Pictures: | U.S. News

It might be a fine car, but it's not a particularly impressive EV on paper. The range seems weak given the battery size. The weight is obscene. The 400v charging is already behind the times. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/6/24 7:42 a.m.

I heard you like chargers so we got a charger for your charger

travellering
travellering Dork
3/6/24 7:45 a.m.

Will they be selling crate "skateboards" so people can upgrade their classics to the new hotness?  They could market it as the new Hell-EV-ant crate motor/battery setup..

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/6/24 8:30 a.m.
Flynlow said:

Awesome.  Finally an EV car for enthusiasts.  May it spawn a wave of copycats and 3-5 years from now we're just flooded with choices from Civic Si/VW GTI hot hatches up to NSX/Lotus/McLaren supercars, and everything in between :).  I've seen enough EV truck/suv/cuv debuts to last me a lifetime, but reading this brought a smile to my face. 

You should check out the Lucid Air and Taycan. Not exactly cheap but they drive pretty well and aren't rolling tech gimmicks/computers. Here's to hoping that Lucid can survive and make a smaller, cheaper version of their Air.

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
3/6/24 8:51 a.m.
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) said:
Flynlow said:

You should check out the Lucid Air and Taycan. Not exactly cheap but they drive pretty well and aren't rolling tech gimmicks/computers. Here's to hoping that Lucid can survive and make a smaller, cheaper version of their Air.

Also the ev cayman I believe is being released later this year.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/6/24 9:07 a.m.

This is honestly kinda awesome, and I'm not even a huge fan of the current Charger/Challenger. The roofline of the coupe reminds me of 1st gen Audi A5, and that's a good thing. Great bold departure from the current design philosophy of making all EV's lame and egg-shaped, similar to what Hyundai is doing with the Ionic 5. I also love the floating front fascia with the hood duct.

Amusing thought- if it's AWD, and has a "drag mode", and a "line lock mode" for warming the rear tires, shouldn't it also have a "rear line-lock mode" for warming the front tires? Imagine pulling up to the burnout box, doing a huge smokey front tire burnout *visible confusion from competitor*, pulling forward a bit, then doing a huge smokey rear tire burnout, then launching into the stratosphere propelled by hundreds of torques routed through 4 hot drag tires... freakin' sweet.

rslifkin
rslifkin PowerDork
3/6/24 9:14 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Duke :

There are two on my street you can almost hear rusting. I'll try to get pictures of the silver one next time I'm out, front fenders and door sills practically gone. The purple one spends it's winter's in a garage and still getting crusty around the door frames.

I dunno what it is about dodge/fiat/Chrysler/Jeep products, but they don't last around here at all, crusting up before they're even paid off, and seemingly wired by Lucas veterans. 

Interesting.  The Chargers I see around here (upstate NY, so plenty of salt) seem to hold up fairly well in the rust department. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
3/6/24 9:19 a.m.

I like these simply because they'll have laughable markups in year 1, and serious markdowns in year 2, which will put downward price pressure on any competitors. 

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer New Reader
3/6/24 10:15 a.m.

13.1 quarter mile and 456hp. Hmmm that seems terrible. It must be woefully undertired and a real porker. I also don't have a lot of faith in dodge and electronics. Still it is a step in the right direction for EVs. A enthusiast sedan at (potentially) reasonable prices.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
3/7/24 8:37 a.m.

Will they keep the 17" wheels and chonky tires?  I'm so over rubberband tires, return the sidewall!  I'm holding on for dear life with my 18" wheels, if my rotors would fit inside 17's I would run them.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
3/7/24 10:45 a.m.
Flynlow said:

This sounds like alternate reality hell. But there will be no sounds other than tire noise. 

spandak
spandak Dork
3/7/24 12:15 p.m.

But how will the bros make them deafeningly loud? Hmm

jokes aside I think it's looks nice if uninspiring. I don't see much innovation. Which might be fine, the current versions aren't innovative at all. Shove an old V8 into a 40 year old MB chassis. It worked. This might too

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/7/24 12:18 p.m.
theruleslawyer said:

I also don't have a lot of faith in dodge and electronics. 

This!

My Dodge minivan has the following electrical/computer issues:

- remote start does not activate the climate control system until you open the driver's door (which is not how the manual specifies)

- the horn is not instant. It's close, but off by just enough that it's worthless for panic notifications

- the driver's seat warmer is a common fail point, including in mine

- the turn signals have actually stuttered a couple times

- the cruise control on/off button intermittently fails

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
3/7/24 12:34 p.m.
spandak said:

But how will the bros make them deafeningly loud? Hmm

Straight cut gears.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners