1 2
petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/26/13 8:51 a.m.

I'm looking at getting a decent set of STR-legal tires for my 96 Miata(yeah, I know I'll still be horribly outclassed). Are the 225/45/15 Hankook Ventus RS-3 on a 9" wheel still my best option?

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
2/26/13 8:54 a.m.

I think we're going to find the RS3's as a "good" tire, but not the one to have this year. If I was in your boat I'd be looking at the BFG Rivals.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Rival&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=245WR5GFR&tab=Sizes

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/13 9:16 a.m.

Agreed.

petegossett
2/26/13 12:05 p.m.

Cool thanks, price seems reasonable too(Although I remember when Victoracers used to cost less than these! )

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
2/26/13 12:06 p.m.

Yep, but I'll bet these stick better and last longer than the old victos.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
2/26/13 12:10 p.m.

What's the best value in R-comps that size?

I know, I know, nothing will ever beat a sticker set of Hohos. That ain't in the budget. What's the best of the rest for a regional competitor?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/26/13 12:19 p.m.

Probably Kumhos then....

Any reason why not just run RS3s or Rivals?

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
2/26/13 12:27 p.m.

I don't recall the Kumho's available in that size. Only 225/50-15 (which is a tad larger).

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/26/13 12:40 p.m.
Ian F wrote: I don't recall the Kumho's available in that size. Only 225/50-15 (which is a tad larger).

Sorry.... i meant the Hankooks. I fail.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/26/13 12:44 p.m.
Duke wrote: What's the best value in R-comps that size? I know, I know, nothing will ever beat a sticker set of Hohos. That ain't in the budget. What's the best of the rest for a regional competitor?

The Hankook Z214s seem to be what the local guys who want non-streetable R comps but don't want to pay Hoosier prices use. They're not hugely cheaper than Hoosiers in original purchase price, but supposedly they last twice as long.

A step further is the Toyo RA1, but the problem with them is that they don't really heat up until about the 7th or 8th run (and that's on our local concrete site, even longer on asphalt).

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/26/13 12:47 p.m.

I'll start by saying I have never driven on a fresh set of Hoosiers. I bought some of the Hancook C71 compound autocross tires last year. I was blown away by how sticky they are compared to the RS3s I had been running. I have about 40-50 autocross runs on them at this point, and theyre barely starting to drop off.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
2/26/13 12:51 p.m.
Lof8 wrote: I'll start by saying I have never driven on a fresh set of Hoosiers. I bought some of the Hancook C71 compound autocross tires last year. I was blown away by how sticky they are compared to the RS3s I had been running. I have about 40-50 autocross runs on them at this point, and theyre barely starting to drop off.

Good to know. I just mounted up a set of 225/45/15s in C71 on my track wheels last week. first event on them will be this Sunday. I'm hoping to at least get a full season on them.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
2/26/13 1:31 p.m.
Lof8 wrote: I bought some of the Hancook C71 compound autocross tires last year.

Yep, me too. 90% of the performance for 75% of the price. Love 'em.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
2/26/13 1:47 p.m.
Lof8 wrote: I'll start by saying I have never driven on a fresh set of Hoosiers. I bought some of the Hancook C71 compound autocross tires last year. I was blown away by how sticky they are compared to the RS3s I had been running. I have about 40-50 autocross runs on them at this point, and theyre barely starting to drop off.

I think there are 2 things hurting the kooks.

1. Sizes. For a miata, the 275 puts down 2 inches more rubber than the 225's. This is far from insignificant.

2. Compound. The A series compound is definitely softer and has more grip. But it's also faster wearing.

I'm going to try the 13" American Racers this year. If they don't work out, I'm probably going with the kooks.

petegossett
2/26/13 2:40 p.m.

Just ordered a set of the Rivals and CM1 15"x9"s. Tires won't be in until around 4/11, but I'll be sure to post some feedback on them.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
2/26/13 8:39 p.m.

I was planning on the Z214s in C71. Good to know that seems like a good idea.

How much were the CM1s? I'm looking for equally value-priced alternatives to the TR C3Ms.

petegossett
2/26/13 9:39 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

Don't remember exactly, but less than $100-each.

Keith Tanner
2/27/13 12:19 a.m.

The $94 C1M is a 15x7, compared to the $104 15x9 C3M.

You also can get a 15x7.5 C1 for $104, or a 15x8 with a slightly awkward +20 offset for $104.

Did you know that Flyin' Miata is a Tire Rack dealer?

petegossett
2/27/13 5:35 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Yup you're right, they were $104 each, and actually CM3 not CM1. I also ordered a set of tires for SWMBO's Fit and a pair of front tires for my van, so pardon my confusion.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
2/27/13 7:06 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: ...or a 15x8 with a slightly awkward +20 offset for $104.

Not awkward if you own an E30.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
2/27/13 8:14 a.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: Yup you're right, they were $104 each, and actually CM3 not CM1. I also ordered a set of tires for SWMBO's Fit and a pair of front tires for my van, so pardon my confusion.

Ahhh. I was seduced by the idea of 15x9s in something other than the C3M. It's not a bad wheel, it's just dull to look at. I'll resign myself to them, then. It's just not worth another $500 all-in for 6ULs.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
2/27/13 8:17 a.m.

Excellent, that's what I wanted to hear. The recent Sports Car test on the C51s in a hot lapping situaion made it sound like they were pretty short-lived. I know it's not the same conditions, but it had me worried. My driving is not up to the level where I need the absolute best tires - what I need is a good long service life. Thanks for the info.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
2/27/13 8:33 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: ...or a 15x8 with a slightly awkward +20 offset for $104.
Not awkward if you own an E30.

Or a Miata. It's what I run with a 205/50 R888, but I rolled the fenders flat with a slight pull. And have lots of cracked paint inside to show for it.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/27/13 2:26 p.m.
Duke wrote: Ahhh. I was seduced by the idea of 15x9s in something other than the C3M. It's not a bad wheel, it's just dull to look at. I'll resign myself to them, then. It's just not worth another $500 all-in for 6ULs.

6UL 15x9s are 13.6 pounds, C3Ms are 15.8, so it's not just looks you get for the extra money (which is more like $350 difference, not $500).

Keith Tanner
2/27/13 4:08 p.m.

Keep in mind that you get valve stems, lug nuts, mounting and balancing for free with the TRM wheels if you buy tires at the same time. Plus you only pay shipping once. That adds up remarkably quickly - $34 in valve stems alone.

Don't get me wrong. I do like the 6UL - I've got eight of them myself. But $500 is a fairly reasonable estimation of the price difference.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
28FewA7wMGDCzEsfZd5E5sdOeu8VdBDgip1rOWwykigcZ708oFa77Cgo90eENcZ1