John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/31/19 2:41 a.m.

At 3am, I am awoken to the sound of the horn steady blaring on my '01 Montero.  It's negative 8 degrees here! 

Pants on, coat on, shoes on.  A 8mm and 10mm socket in hand and disconnected the battery. 

Ahh. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
1/31/19 3:13 a.m.

My old Sundance did that once. The cold seemed to actually constrict the cover on the steering wheel enough to make it go off

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/31/19 5:34 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Oh that sucks!

On occasion the doors of my hospital will get stuck open in freezing weather.  (The microswitch in the automatic opener button can get moisture in it and freeze).  The treatment is to heat the button with a MAPP gas torch until it releases, but the hallway affected might get a touch chilly by that time.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/19 7:13 a.m.

The blend doors stuck on teh S60R.  Drove in to work yesterday with the window down so the windshield would not fog over.  Such hardship!

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
1/31/19 7:50 a.m.

One of my cars is sleeping outside these days.  Alarm went off at 3:00 AM but it turned off with the remote.  Which was downstairs.  And now sits on the bedstand in case it happens agains.  But this was before our polar vortex.

Armitage
Armitage Dork
1/31/19 8:04 a.m.

My '91 Saturn did the same thing, also in the middle of the night in winter.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
1/31/19 8:31 a.m.

My parent's '73 Ford Gran Torino did that once when I was like 8.  Next door neighbor actually came over (again, at like 3am) to inform my dad that it was in fact his car that was causing all the noise.  A few weeks later, did the same thing while we were sitting at a stoplight going to church I think.  Just sitting there, and "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppppppppppppppppppp".  

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/31/19 9:51 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

On occasion the doors of my hospital will get stuck open in freezing weather.  (The microswitch in the automatic opener button can get moisture in it and freeze).  The treatment is to heat the button with a MAPP gas torch until it releases, but the hallway affected might get a touch chilly by that time.

"Someone" should replace that opener button! (Or at least re-seal it) ;-)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/31/19 11:11 a.m.

Can you come over and disconnect the battery in my neighbor's dog?

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/31/19 11:17 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Can you come over and disconnect the battery in my neighbor's dog?

same. plus its mean. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
1/31/19 12:31 p.m.

Don't those dogs understand the futility of it all?

I'd say they need to have an existential crisis

noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/31/19 7:30 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Some close friends of ours had the exact same problem with their Monty last year.  Ultra low temps and a bad connection in the steering wheel horn circuit.  You could just pull the 2 fuses under the hood and wait for warmer temps, or find a new wheel

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/1/19 9:20 a.m.

I'm happy to say that today at 8:30am with +13 degree temps, I re-connected the battery and got no horn.  The Montero was a little slow to crank but fired right up.  I took the kids to daycare with no problems.  I will say that I did not bother to test the horn.  I didn't want to make any horn switch contact for fear that if I got the horn on, I might not be able to get it off.  

Note to self:  next time negative temps are expected, proactively disconnect the battery.  

One potential downside... Upon restarting the car, the radio read CODE.  

I grabbed the owners manual out of the glove box and luck would have it, on the inside cover the pervious owner had written a random 4 digit number.  It is something like 5743.  This then left me stymied on how to enter a #7 when the digits on the face are only 1-6.  Further search into the owners manual revels that the logic is:

• using the #1 button, you press that 5 times for a 5
  • using the #2 button, you press that 7 times for a 7, etc

Success on the radio code.

It a good thing that I made contact with the owner after I bought the Montero at Salvage auction because the owner manual is one of the things/accessories that I bought from him that were not in the truck originally.  

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/1/19 10:16 a.m.
John Welsh said:

I grabbed the owners manual out of the glove box and luck would have it, on the inside cover the pervious owner had written a random 4 digit number.  It is something like 5743.  This then left me stymied on how to enter a #7 when the digits on the face are only 1-6.  Further search into the owners manual revels that the logic is:

• using the #1 button, you press that 5 times for a 5
  • using the #2 button, you press that 7 times for a 7, etc

That's a suprisingly robust security concept. Even given the 4 digit code, I would NEVER have tried that approach.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
2/1/19 1:57 p.m.

I had a 1995 Buick LeSabre that the horn would go off in cold weather.  It was in issue in the steering column.  The car was parked on the opposite side of the house from the bedroom under a porch.  One morning about 2:00am my wife wakes me up to tell me she thinks my horn is on.  So I bundle up and sure enough.  A few wiggles on the steering wheel and it goes off.  The next night I got up about 2:00am to go to the bathroom and I thought I heard a faint unusual sound.  Sure enough, it was the horn.  Bundle up, trudge outside and wiggle the steering wheel until it goes off.  Third night, the phone rings about 5:30am.  It's the neighbor.  "I think your horn is on".  surprise  So I bundle up, trudge outside and pop the hood.  I also noticed that the horn was not very loud anymore.  When I went to pull the wire off the horn I noticed it was hot, really hot.  It must have been on for awhile.  When I pulled the wire, the sound was reduced, but not gone.  Dag gummit, there is another horn in the other fender.  Never had a working horn after that.  Was glad to see that car go!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/1/19 4:12 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

My original approach to how to input a #7 on a 6 digit keypad was to attempt to push #6 & #1 at the same time.  In retrospect, not really sure why I tried 6+1 and not 2+5, etc.  Either way, I too would have gone a long time trying to figure it out.  

I'll admit, my thoughts went to I'll just spend $20 or less on a new deck before I pay the dealership $20 or more to tell me the code.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RsaLPlq7EpZPvGTal1SbxLeFGe69qtkXiPzrLvi4cq1ge4UGLONtIMoYD3cv4mTI