1 ... 4 5 6 7
Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/18 7:20 p.m.

In reply to Will :

One interesting thing about the LS engines is how short they are compared to the SBC.  The bore centers may be the same but the accessory drive is a whole lot shorter.  Especially if you get the Corvette accessory drive, as it's the shortest.

I narrowly lost a Corvette LS1 auction on eBay because I only wanted the accessory drive from it, I didn't care about the exploded engine that it was attached to.

te72
te72 Reader
6/13/18 10:34 p.m.

TheV8Kid, buzzboy, thanks for the replies. That is indeed pretty awesome, 400cfm on the intake is nothing to sneeze at...

Now, who on here can we talk into putting them on their LS project? Mwahahaha!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
6/14/18 7:21 a.m.
te72 said:

TheV8Kid, buzzboy, thanks for the replies. That is indeed pretty awesome, 400cfm on the intake is nothing to sneeze at...

Now, who on here can we talk into putting them on their LS project? Mwahahaha!

Depends who's funding it. I have plenty of room in my Studebaker.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
6/20/18 4:52 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Well, actually...

It is now.

I don't know why but I'm sure it involved large amounts of money changing hands. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/18 4:54 p.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

my brain is twitching in rage.

Cedricn
Cedricn New Reader
1/8/21 6:32 a.m.

In this part of the world on the other side of the atlantic, doing a proper LS swap under 10 grand needs work, especially if you want one of the good ones. Engines are expensive and everything around the engine costs alot more than one would think (though thats for all engine swaps), at least if you have the ambition to use it on a track. 

Great engines with an awful naming convention, reusing old names, jumping back and forth with different names and numbers. Makes your head explode if you arent deep into LS engines :)

Opti
Opti Dork
1/8/21 8:40 a.m.

I cant see 400 CFM being worth it for a 4 valve head when you have at least a couple aftermarket LS7 heads with similar flow numbers at .700 (in the 3K dollar range), which would probably be much easier than retrofitting the 4 valve heads.

If the midrange lift numbers on the 4v heads are a lot better, which I would expect then maybe. Outside of being different I cant see much use for them, when you can make 600whp NA pretty easily with off the shelf parts. Arao/Dominion have been making 4V conversions for quite a while and years ago when I cared it was pretty hard to find someone who had actually built one to completion.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/21 11:13 a.m.

In reply to Opti :

LS7 heads need LS7 block for valve to bore clearance, no?

Hayrider
Hayrider New Reader
4/26/21 4:59 p.m.

Great reading some of these old comments!

But funny, from what I have read & seen the difference in weight between an LSX aluminum block and a LSX iron block is 109 lbs and right at half the weight of an iron block.

Also from what I also understand there are no aluminum block 4.8's rear wheel drive blocks. I understand all 4.8 RWD motors are iron. So if you find a aluminum block and it's cast with 4.8 / 5.3 it should be an 5.3. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I'm researching these because I found a shop that does turn key LSX swaps that look like they were installed at the factory. The price is fair because they find used motors & transmissions and rebuild in house. They have one fulltime guy that does nothing but builds motors/engines. We have a 2015 Tacoma 5 lug w/ a manual that I installed a POS Rotrex SC on. I didn't know of the reliability issues with this SC when I purchased & installed. I've installed StopTech's, Coilover's, yada yada... in preparation.

I don't have the tools or all the skills & knowledge so I thought it be safer to pay to have it done. I asked for a alloy 5.3, 5 spd. manual wide ratio in the stock location, AC, gauges & cruise to work. It's a daily driver so we will need quiet muffler/s. I have three different 3rd members to pick from 3.31, 3.58 & 3.73.

My bucket list, any thoughts?

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/26/21 5:05 p.m.

In reply to Hayrider :

Careful.  LSX is a proper name, not a generic one:  That is what GMPP called their racing block.  I am 99% sure that it's iron, but 1% doubt.

Correct, no aluminum 4.8s.  All 5.7s and 6.2s and 7.0s are aluminum, all front drive 5.3s are aluminum (heh, "all" - it's just the LS4).  All 4.8s are iron. Almost all 6.0s are iron, slightly lower percentage of 5.3s are iron.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
4/26/21 6:15 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Hayrider :

Almost all 6.0s are iron

LS2's and LS6's are 6.0 and aluminum

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/26/21 7:08 p.m.
Patientzero said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Hayrider :

Almost all 6.0s are iron

LS6s are 5.7s.

LS2s are most of the reason for "almost" smiley  There were also, IIRC, some aluminum 6.0s in Escalades.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
4/26/21 8:11 p.m.

I'm using an aluminum 5.3 in my Challenge car because of its lighter weight and the price was right. I do find it interesting ( it makes me giggle) to see the Nelsons using a 4.8 crank in a 6.0 block to generate silly amounts of power. The LS engine family is a little bit like Lego in that you can swap stuff around pretty readily.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/27/21 8:01 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Patientzero said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Hayrider :

Almost all 6.0s are iron

LS6s are 5.7s.

LS2s are most of the reason for "almost" smiley  There were also, IIRC, some aluminum 6.0s in Escalades.

Let's not be spreading misinformation on this, there's a lot to take in but having the correct info is helpful when you are at a junkyard googling, and trying to sort through the BS.

Car + 6.0 = aluminum block - e.g. Caprice PPV, G8 GT, GTO

Truck + 6.0 = Iron block with the exception of the TBSS and Saab 9-7x Aero

Every 6.2 is aluminum unless you are ordering out of a catalog.  Aluminum blocks in +07 Escalades and Denalis were 6.2L, through model year 2006 before the body style change the Denalis and Escalades had iron block 6.0L.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
4/27/21 9:08 a.m.
RacetruckRon said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Patientzero said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Hayrider :

Almost all 6.0s are iron

LS6s are 5.7s.

Let's not be spreading misinformation on this, there's a lot to take in but having the correct info is helpful when you are at a junkyard googling, and trying to sort through the BS.

Car + 6.0 = aluminum block - e.g. Caprice PPV, G8 GT, GTO

Truck + 6.0 = Iron block with the exception of the TBSS and Saab 9-7x Aero

Every 6.2 is aluminum unless you are ordering out of a catalog.  Aluminum blocks in +07 Escalades and Denalis were 6.2L, through model year 2006 before the body style change the Denalis and Escalades had iron block 6.0L.

The L76 was the last of the 6.0 Al motors that came in the G8 and some other things as listed above.  Snagged one for a song as an upgrade to my V1.  Just listed the LS6 it came with on craigs to prevent me from being divorced when I bring home an RX8 to put it in.

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/27/21 9:29 a.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

I am 99% sure that I have seen an aluminum block 6.0 in an Escalade, because I made an offer on the truck.  It needed... a lot of work.  Front diff, transfer case, brakes, front end work, etc.  I was going to extract the engine and scrap the rest.

By recollection, it was a 58x engine.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/27/21 10:05 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Was it a hybrid? Those were odd birds.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/27/21 10:10 a.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Memory hazy, because I was working on a hybrid at the same timeframe.

Maybe the one I wanted to buy was a 6.2 and the hybrid was the 6.0, now that you bring it up.  I do recall seeing 6.0 and seeing aluminum block, and thinking "didn't know dey did dat"...

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
4/27/21 11:28 a.m.

That's the L92.  There are too many names.  Most don't realize that the LS3 in an automatic Camaro is called an L99, not an LS3 . . .

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/27/21 3:43 p.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

Isn't it not an LS3 because it has DoD? (or AFM or whatever GM called it that week)

Believe me, I'm royalty about not calling non-LS engines LS engines.  Not king, but maybe an archduke or something.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
4/28/21 5:00 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

DOD makes no real power difference--it's only a wear item that creates warranty visits to the dealer.  At the core, the L99 is still an LS3.

As for nomenclature, if Joe Six-Pack can't tell the difference (between an LS3 or an LS1 or an L20 or an L92) by looking at it past his PBR goggles, we're okay calling an LSX an LS.  It's the architecture and part swap-ability that make it so.  That said, one is free to call his suburban ranch a mid-century modern all day, but it's still a lame-o ranch house . . .

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/28/21 5:11 p.m.

In reply to rustomatic :

I see it like they are proper names.  A large percentage of humans are named Dave, so calling all of the engines LS is like calling all humans Dave...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/28/21 7:23 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to rustomatic :

I see it like they are proper names.  A large percentage of humans are named Dave, so calling all of the engines LS is like calling all humans Dave...

It's a lot harder to find information online if I do a search for LQ4 swap instead of LS swap.  LS is pretty much the "Kleenex" term for 3rd and 4th gen Chevrolet V8.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
4/28/21 8:50 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to rustomatic :

I don't see the correlation.  It's more like saying Dave needs a pair of Dave specific pants instead of Dave needs a pair of human pants.    Your LQ4 doesn't need LQ4 specific heads.  Calling them all LS as a generic term makes sense to me because it really doesn't matter.  

Knowing what the engine came out of is more important than what it's called.  A Corvette LS6 and GTO LS6 are not the same.  A Corvette LS3 and Camaro LS3 are not the same.

Hayrider
Hayrider New Reader
6/2/21 12:40 p.m.

Tit for Tat. I guess everyone has their own preferences for name calling...

Now I'm looking for a wide ratio 5 spd. to install with an alloy 5.3 LSX / LS.

The truck (15 Tacoma access cab 5 lug) has an Toyota R154 or really an R155 just lower first & second gears. Just finding a good proper adapter is the hard part. I can't find a torque rating for the Toyota trans but I've seen YouTubers with 1000 HP in front of this trans. I read the rear seal will start to leak over 400 to 500 HP if they aren't vented better.  There's GM T5's but I read they are weaker, TKO but don't know if it would fit in the trans tunnel. Then the new pricey TKX... The Tremec 6 spd is geared WAY to tall. So it would require a 4.10 or lower gear. There's a kit to install an T56 in the truck but honestly don't know the difference in size with TKO? They look really close in size. Can anyone confirm?

The truck has an 3.73 gear now and I have 3.58 & a 3.31 third members setting in 5 gal buckets in the garage.

Thanks in advance...

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z4o7SCRDkC76FlC4QBMLMnjwKZKhYqFn6Lap1oDHog8PQK8Gi19iqIWOWy0FSoEC