1 2 3
therealpinto
therealpinto GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/20/20 3:44 a.m.

I do tech inspections on kit cars/amateur built cars in Sweden and one of the more popular build is a Cobra replica in some form.

My first advice, if you have not already done so, is to try to get a test ride or preferably a test drive in a Cobra replica.

It is a rather...special...vehicle to drive. I wouldn't go so far as to say it tries to kill you, but the combination of power/torque/lightness, short wheelbase, relatively wide track, wide wheels (in most cases) makes it a bit challenging.

In addition to that, different replicas are very different in ergonomics. The best Cobra is the one where you actually can fit, in a way that you can safely operate the car.

We used to get the old fashioned replicas based on Jaguar XJ parts, often with low ET wheels that completely kill the front suspension geometry. I would not recommend one like that. Nowadays most are built using Corvette suspension and that's a completely different dimension (in a good way). I have also driven a fair number of Factory Fives (ranging form early to late-ish), and they are also generally very good. The FFR has a sound base but it also needs to be correctly built - and that goes for any replica you look at.

If you like the look of the FFR, try to find a few and se how they fit you.

Gustaf

D2W
D2W Dork
2/20/20 9:21 a.m.

Drivability, safety, reliability. None of those things are going to be found in a cobra. They are fast, and loud, and will try to kill you anytime you are not paying attention. If you had just asked what car to buy in your post I would say C7 Corvette roadster. Its fast, safe, dependable. With a top that works, full HVAC. It will do everything you want, and more.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/20/20 10:28 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I gotta agree with the V8 Miata sentiments. It sounds like an attempt to make a Silk- Shirt out of a Hair- Shirt.

Have you driven a Cobra replica? I myself don't think I would ever feel "Safe" in one because it feel like you are sitting ON it rather than IN it. Exhilarating? Hell Yeah and it makes sounds like the hounds of hell are nipping at your ass. But that feeling  transitions into annoying pretty soon, and then all you have is the heat of hell blasting you from every surface . If your lucky it ain't raining.

The V8 Miata starts with a silk shirt and fills it with muscles. You really need to drive a good one to realize that this dual personality thing can be pulled off. From cruise to AC to weather tight and air-bagged, an LS Miata can deliver the cruise missile performance without asking you to suffer any more than you want to. Wumanz will actually get into a V8 Miata under their own will.

Pete

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/20/20 11:39 a.m.

Factory five is the best budget destination. But I'm a Superformance fanboi if you have the coin.

But also bear in mind that there are tons of cobra replicas out there. They're becoming what Harley Davidsons were in the 90s - the ubiquitous middle-aged escape vehicle. Not to discourage you at all. But you may really consider buying someone's partially completed project. There are a lot of guys who pig out on crate motors and $500 wheels only to realize at a certain point that they're in too deep and who will sell you their nice stuff for a significant discount.

Kreb
2/20/20 11:45 a.m.

Now if you're swayed by all this stuff about V8s in Miatas, but still want that Cobra style, Tribute Automotive can help out: 

Hairdresser finds out about testoserone.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/20/20 11:53 a.m.

In reply to Kreb :

I was going to say something about silly body kits on V8 Miatae, then I had to reconsider.

By the way, ( not that this applies to the OP)  the FF wheelbase is 90 inches and the Miata is 89 so the option might be there to drop the FF body over the Miata chassis.

Kreb
2/20/20 11:58 a.m.

Yeah, I'm generally no fan of screwing up Miata styling, but if you're bound and determined, Tribute makes nice kit. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/20 12:00 p.m.

Not really that relevant, but the thread title reminded me of the quip in the UK about older Cobra replicas - "a random collection of bolts flying in loose formation at 3 feet elevation"

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/20/20 12:18 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

That description fits pretty much every single British sportscar ever built.

Pete

waldoehf
waldoehf New Reader
2/20/20 3:26 p.m.

Love these comments, super helpful. As someone who has not been in a Cobra - pretty eye opening LOL. 

For me, the big draw is the cobra body and styling. Just love the way it looks - always have. So another sporty car is not what I am looking for. 

Really like the idea of the Tribute Automotive cobras - anyone know if anyone sells these prebuilt?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/20 4:12 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Pete

Tradition is important!

Kreb
2/20/20 5:28 p.m.

In reply to waldoehf :

I don't think that they have US distribution, but Tribute makes some lovely bodies at a very competitive prices, so hopefully they'll get something going over here. This kit for the Z3 really works for me: 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
2/20/20 5:47 p.m.

I've autocrosses two ffr cobras. Both supercharged on race tires. I would describe them as a car trying to kill you. My formula 500 is a bit easier than they were. Very easy to spin.

Kreb
2/20/20 5:55 p.m.

When I actively autocrossed in the very competitive Northern California scene, a FFCobra was consistently one of the top 3 nonadjusted times (Karts and A-mod not withstanding). 

ChrisLS8
ChrisLS8 New Reader
2/20/20 5:56 p.m.

Taking aside the specifics he is asking about regarding airbags and ac y'all missing the main point is he wants a Cobra, no a Miata isn't as cool

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
2/20/20 6:10 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Pete

Except with a American v8 it will actually start. Unless it's a rover v8 one cause the British can screw up a good old American v8 aswell.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
2/20/20 6:30 p.m.

Having restored and driven a genuine 289 Cobra, I can say that I don't feel you need a 427. 

The 289 cars are absolutely nuts and I think a big block would ruin the lightness and agility of the car in favour of some pointless "bigger is better" silliness.

-Edited because I had two "don't"s in the original post.-

MotorsportsGordon
2/20/20 6:36 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Having restored and driven a genuine 289 Cobra, I can say that I don't feel you don't need a 427. 

The 289 cars are absolutely nuts and I think a big block would ruin the lightness and agility of the car in favour of some pointless "bigger is better" silliness.

Makes you wonder how badly the coyote cobras out there run the lightness and agility 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/20/20 6:41 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Having restored and driven a genuine 289 Cobra, I can say that I don't feel you don't need a 427. 

I think the 289 versions are prettier, to boot.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
2/20/20 6:48 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:
Makes you wonder how badly the coyote cobras out there run the lightness and agility 

Another local shop is building one right now. I don't know what the coyote weighs but it's a physically large engine. There's no extra room in a 289 engine bay, I imagine the coyote might cause some packaging issues.

I know the 427 cars are a completely different machine but I don't know how much extra room the chassis and suspension changes gave them in the engine bay and footwell area. Maybe there's sufficient room in a big block chassis for the coyote.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/20/20 7:01 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Having restored and driven a genuine 289 Cobra, I can say that I don't feel you need a 427. 

-Edited because I had two "don't"s in the original post.-

You know, you're probably right and I told my Uncle that a 700hp - 730lb/ft Cobra is insanity, but he did this anyway. Superformance with a big block Ford Racing 427 taken out to 511. He just put a six speed in it.

MotorsportsGordon
2/20/20 7:01 p.m.
ShawnG said:
MotorsportsGordon said:

Another local shop is building one right now. I don't know what the coyote weighs but it's a physically large engine. There's no extra room in a 289 engine bay, I imagine the coyote might cause some packaging issues.

I know the 427 cars are a completely different machine but I don't know how much extra room the chassis and suspension changes gave them in the engine bay and footwell area. Maybe there's sufficient room in a big block chassis for the coyote.

A coyote is still physically bigger than a big block.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/20/20 7:47 p.m.

I understand the allure of the Cobra.  The curve of the fenders.  The engine under that tiny scoop.  The TIRES and PIPES!  From the first time I saw Gumball Rally and then the issue of Hot Rod not long after showing the value of the car then at 1/4 of a million dollars.  Yes, I very well understand why you would want one.  But I bet She (The Cobra) is a VERY harsh mistress.  Hmmm, no drool emoticon.  

newrider3
newrider3 New Reader
2/20/20 8:03 p.m.

Not terribly pertinent to the OP's questions, but a Coyote seems to weigh roughly 65lbs LESS than an aluminum-headed 302 based Windsor small block.

source: https://youtu.be/wSkBcFyZeks?t=90

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/20 10:07 p.m.

You sir don't want a Cobra, you want a Corvette that actually looks good. Cobra's do not even have side windows, and you're worried about A/C? 

So, maybe a C7 Corvette? Porsche Boxster S? Shelby Series 1 (are those cheap yet)?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
13VMPgfVhhi8iUduoB9x6fyhPf9amR4R7jtmVixqSyeSmEhZavkvj5HLmIdi29LW