oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
12/14/10 2:25 p.m.

The race track, that is:

http://automotive.speedtv.com/article/autos-cadillac-returning-to-racing

This time it is the CTS-V (coupe), not the sedan. It will sport a supercharged 6.2L V8 and magnetic ride control suspension, another way of saying it's "active".

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/14/10 2:44 p.m.

Whoa. Awesome. This V8 is based on the LS3 motor right?

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
12/14/10 2:55 p.m.

what i read was it was LS9 based with lower compression, smaller blower, and a few other lower spec parts for less power than the ZL1.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
12/14/10 3:08 p.m.

The Caddy CTS-V is stock with the LSA, which is a detuned LS9 which is an iron-blocked, supercharged LS3.

Now, my question is, considering how much of a sales flop the wagon is going to be (because the american car buying populace is incapable of appreciating the awesome, not because it's in any way a bad car), why not race the wagon instead?

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/14/10 4:02 p.m.

nice... already looks better than the camaro......

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
12/14/10 4:07 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: The Caddy CTS-V is stock with the LSA, which is a detuned LS9 which is an iron-blocked, supercharged LS3. Now, my question is, considering how much of a sales flop the wagon is going to be (because the american car buying populace is incapable of appreciating the awesome, not because it's in any way a bad car), why not race the wagon instead?

I'd reasonaby guess that Cadillac realizes the wagon version is (at best) a niche market car. They stand to sell a lot more coupes and make a lot more profit.

Thusly, the coupes get to race and get the glory - if they're fast enough and win enough..........

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/14/10 4:18 p.m.

am i alone in thinking that coupe is uglier than the inside of a daytime hooker's bunghole?

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
12/14/10 4:54 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

I'll easily take a sedan over the coupe or wagon and the, ummmm, other choice.......

Pumpkin Escobar
Pumpkin Escobar SuperDork
12/14/10 6:18 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: am i alone in thinking that coupe is uglier than the inside of a daytime hooker's bunghole?

yes

carzan
carzan HalfDork
12/14/10 6:25 p.m.
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote: am i alone in thinking that coupe is uglier than the inside of a daytime hooker's bunghole?
yes

+1 It's amazing to me how right the sedan looks and how butt-ugly the coupe is. Too bad.

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
12/14/10 6:34 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: The Caddy CTS-V is stock with the LSA, which is a detuned LS9 which is an iron-blocked, supercharged LS3. Now, my question is, considering how much of a sales flop the wagon is going to be (because the american car buying populace is incapable of appreciating the awesome, not because it's in any way a bad car), why not race the wagon instead?

It's an Aluminum block with cast iron liners.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
12/14/10 6:38 p.m.

The sedan CTS-V is my "money is no object, so I'll buy it" car right now. The coupe is not as good-looking, but I still wouldn't push it out of my driveway.

Good to see they're getting back into racing. The old CTS-V dominated the Speed GT class.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
12/14/10 6:43 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Now, my question is, considering how much of a sales flop the wagon is going to be (because the american car buying populace is incapable of appreciating the awesome, not because it's in any way a bad car), why not race the wagon instead?

IIRC, the main reason Caddy developed a wagon in the first place is for the European market. You can't fight the 5-series in the old country without a wagon/estate in the lineup. The fact that the wagon is on sale in the US instead of some misshapen CTS "crossover" is a small miracle in and of itself.

I'm lukewarm on the CTS-V coupe. The CTS-V sedan is nice. I really want the CTS-V wagon!

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
12/14/10 6:54 p.m.
RexSeven wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote: Now, my question is, considering how much of a sales flop the wagon is going to be (because the american car buying populace is incapable of appreciating the awesome, not because it's in any way a bad car), why not race the wagon instead?
IIRC, the main reason Caddy developed a wagon in the first place is for the European market. You can't fight the 5-series in the old country without a wagon/estate in the lineup. The fact that the wagon is on sale in the US instead of some misshapen CTS "crossover" is a small miracle in and of itself. I'm lukewarm on the CTS-V coupe. The CTS-V sedan is nice. I really want the CTS-V wagon!

As do I-a fantastic piece.

skeze
skeze Reader
12/14/10 8:39 p.m.

the only problem is I am 38 and when people see me driving the coupe they are amazed with how awesome they think the car is... these cars are like your friends hot girlfriend.You really want to hit that,but all you ever hear out of your friend is how annoying she is...I notice something every day that I hate about it.

At first glance,and walking around the car on the show room floor you are amazed the doors are opened by an electric solenoid and the window moves down a 1/2 inch ala SVT Cobra.

You start the engine and you are stunned by the sound...

in my opinion the sedan kills the coupe. the ride is very modern, not my favorite.

My favorite car to ever drive was the E39 M5.I have never driven another car like it,and the CTS V is no E39 M5.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
12/14/10 9:29 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: .... the inside of a daytime hooker's bunghole?

You have seen this?

Way too much information

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zAiKfPRTWwwpcyXahEtXDFM3WlmtM8EGDmW1GtjaM1ZpZecma8eyWZ0fTLTVbf33