1 2
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/24/13 5:15 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Knurled wrote: The owner of that truck instigated the diff rule for Prepared. He's a safety steward, IIRC.
Can you translate this for me please? I have no idea what it means and I don't understand the comments re trucks with caps???

He submitted a rules proposal for Prepared class that one differential may be replaced as long as it fits in the OE housing and uses the stock gear ratios. It was passed. Moments after it passed, he had a clutch diff swapped into the Taco.

Knurled
1/24/13 5:18 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: I wouldn't be so worried about the battery. mine Mine is strapped by a military spec bungee.

That won't fly at DRSCCA. I was called out in the tech line because my battery could wiggle a little bit. I crammed a screwdriver under the bracket so that it was held solidly.

They take procedure seriously, but on the flip side, they have a dedicated group of volunteers who don't run, just run the event, and things tend to go rather smoothly despite high car counts.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
1/28/13 5:17 p.m.

A more serous issue has appeared. After the gasket job I changed oil again after a couple laps around the block, L10111 and mobil super HM 10w40, having deiced against running a larger PF52 sized filter(hangs too low). Then I gt it plated and road legal, and hit the road, to properly warm it up for the first time.

Hot hwy cruising pressure is now 25-30 psi going by the stock gauge w/ new sender. No bueno. It will just barely pull then needle into the red(under 20psi, never goes near 0) when its all warmed up and idling in gear. Never will it climb past 35 or so. Fearing for the engine, and out of curiosity, a bottle of STP was introduced, no change in pressure was noted.

My thought now is either a bad gauge, or a bad relief valve spring. If the bearings were shot I would think the STP would have brought the pressure up, and the pressure would be dropping lower at idle. Next time I have time to drive it back home(gently), I'll hook up a real gauge and see whats up.

Knurled
1/28/13 7:14 p.m.

We just ran into this on my boss's mom's Series II-engined Impala. No oil pressure at idle.

Turns out, the #3 cam bearing walked out of its bore! It looks like the cam grabbed it at one point.

Everything else in the engine looked perfect (200k miles) so it went back together with the old bottom end bearings, new cam bearings (polished that cam journal), and a valve job. A quick swipe with a hone showed the bores were still round with no discernible wear. I really like the Series II engine and this one just made me like them that much more.

We'd just done an upper and lower intake about 15k earlier but that was due to an external upper leak, not mixing with oil. No idea what happened in the car's life before 110k, but you know that the lower had to have been done at least once, so who knows how long they'd let it go for?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
1/28/13 8:19 p.m.

The thing is I have some, though not ideal, pressure at idle. It doesn't zero at idle like the mains are fried or a cam bearing came out, and it wont pump up past 35-40psi depending on temp no matter what. I'm hoping for a bad gauge.

Knurled
1/28/13 8:52 p.m.

Spec is 60psi at 1800rpm.

With the walked bearing, we had ~30psi at 2000rpm but zero at idle, checking with a mechanical gauge, so you're probably right. The sender is easy enough to get at, anyway.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
1/28/13 8:58 p.m.

Yup, I plan to add a tee for future testing purposes while I've got the sender off. My Haynes book is calling for 37psi@2400 up to 1998, 60@1850 for 99+. They could be wrong. I would be happy with 40+ while driving.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/28/13 9:46 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: I wouldn't be so worried about the battery. mine Mine is strapped by a military spec bungee.
That won't fly at DRSCCA.

Tech is pretty loose at The Back 40 Raceway.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/30/13 11:02 a.m.

We had some of these things show up at a rallycross.

The course designers made the course really, really tight.

That white Jeep Cherokee? It, or another Jeep, got second fastest time of the day. I forget exactly which one it was.

Of course, these guys run in some kind of crazy off-road series and they could drive the snot out of their super prepared rides. Apparently their season was coming up and they were shaking out their toys.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
1/30/13 2:38 p.m.

^^^^

Those likely wouldn't be allowed to run up here. They did allow a stock Tracker, but raised 4X4's would be a no-no.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
1/30/13 2:42 p.m.

Were those ECORS trucks?

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
1/30/13 6:03 p.m.
NGTD wrote: ^^^^ Those likely wouldn't be allowed to run up here. They did allow a stock Tracker, but raised 4X4's would be a no-no.

ditto. WDCR only allows low-slung pickups (think the small Toyotas or Mighty Maxes) to run. Nothing with a high COG.

Knurled
1/30/13 7:16 p.m.

I know the Ohio regions seriously frown on anything lifted. The light front drive cars are scary enough, and teh RX-7 got me several scoldings last time out due to lofting the front wheels under acceleration.

There's a picture set somewhere floating around of me carrying the inside front tire around a corner. Looked pretty sweet. I'd been WONDERING why all of the corner workers were running up before I went by

Brett_Murphy
1/30/13 9:21 p.m.

Yes, they were ECORS trucks, that is what it was. Thank you for reminding me.

They would lift wheels, but they just wouldn't seem to tip.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/30/13 9:26 p.m.

This is giving me dirty thoughts.

Brett_Murphy
1/31/13 9:11 a.m.

What kind of tires is the pickup running for rallycross?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
2/8/13 5:38 p.m.

Nevermind, lost oil pressure on highway, glitter in the oil, I managed to limp it home after throwing a filter and another bottle of STP at it, debating between finding cheap engine or sell it for parts.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wMTgoO1bDZs4ordwc5C2UA9omu0QhNcnuuq1AJXklr4CBIciIoMmoXHkLB1Tml40