JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/13/24 8:24 a.m.
feature_image

One of our hopes for our BMW 435i project is not just to build a fun, track-capable car, but to build a car that can actually compete in the Sport division of the SCCA’s Time Trials program.

The Sport division has its philosophy rooted deeply in “dual-duty” enthusiast culture, and the prep rules are structured around building a car that …

This content is available for GRM+ members and Grassroots Motorsports magazine subscribers only.

You can read it for free in 9 days or subscribe to GRM+ to read right now.

Subscribe now

Already a member?

Login to read

Read the rest of the story

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
3/13/24 10:05 a.m.

Personally, I'm going to enjoy seeing how much more time we can shed as this project progresses.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/13/24 10:18 a.m.

I also think it's interesting/cool/weird that we live in a time in which you can plug something into your car and just add more power

bjinright
bjinright GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/13/24 3:32 p.m.

I really do appreciate, these set ups, as I am always curious if the old guard can keep up with the new fast models out there.   I myself am trying to run autocross against the mighty ND mx5 with a 2006 z4 3.0si because on paper it really looks like it has a chance.

But please do me a favor an put the right tires on that bimmer, otherwise its a waste of an afternoon.

Fair
Fair New Reader
3/13/24 8:16 p.m.

So this baseline was before the K-brand shocks, Vorshlag camber plates, and the 200TW tire upgrade? That right there should make a MASSIVE increase in cornering speeds over the non-camber 540 TW all seasons. Excited to see the next phase of testing, keep it up!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/14/24 12:39 p.m.

In reply to Fair :

As I have mentioned to JG several times, this this is going to easily run past my M3, right? 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/14/24 3:59 p.m.
Fair said:

So this baseline was before the K-brand shocks, Vorshlag camber plates, and the 200TW tire upgrade? That right there should make a MASSIVE increase in cornering speeds over the non-camber 540 TW all seasons. Excited to see the next phase of testing, keep it up!

Oh yeah this was straight off the used car lot. 

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
3/14/24 6:16 p.m.

Love seeing Terry Fair up in here.

I bought Vorschlag camber plates for an E36 M3 back in 2006. They were phenomenal! And customer service was amazing. I remember when I couldn't get enough caster, I called and you helped me figure out I simply had the Ground Control struts I'd bought mounted on the wrong sides. cheeky

Glad you're still up and running!

David S. Wallens
3/15/24 12:30 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

Love seeing Terry here as well. 

I rode in the 435i yesterday. It’s now on Vorshlag camber plates. I don’t want to give away anything, but you don’t hear a peep from them. (I know, I’ve said too much.)

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/24 2:58 p.m.

So I probably missed it in the article but was the GR Corolla tuned to the limit of the class or was it also basically stock but only had better tires?

Data logging has taken all the bench racing and arguments from said bench racing when the track goes cold and the beer comes out.  ;-) I mean my but dyno is obviously better than your but dyno.  (Yes this was actually said at one point when a track went cold and we were all sitting around)

David S. Wallens
3/18/24 11:36 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

The GR Corolla was a new car test, so it was run as delivered. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mJZ61JHkgQ3Lh93Y5OIPJaQ46Upo630SDRsepUbn39B0gccokiCqqQQXd1nMvBft