1 2 3 4
Jay_W
Jay_W HalfDork
3/3/09 8:55 a.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Urban legends about grassroots fixes: Worn out clutch? Poor sawdust into the area between the trans and the engine.

At a rally in '03 I found my brand new kevlar clutch to be slipping. A lot. Discussing it with the rest of the reprobate crew that was there, one of the guys (unnamed to protect the guilty) recalled how someone's race was saved by pouring soda pop into the bellhousing so the sugar'd carmelize and make more grip for the pressure plate to work with. So we retasked the windshield washer bottle, filled it with Dr. Pepper, and routed the hose to the bellhousing. During the run, when the thing started to slip, I'd just hit the washer swithc and dump more soda in there. It worked well enough to get us through the event...prolly the most ghetto mod I've ever been party to.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/3/09 8:58 a.m.
Jay_W wrote:
Xceler8x wrote: Urban legends about grassroots fixes: Worn out clutch? Poor sawdust into the area between the trans and the engine.
At a rally in '03 I found my brand new kevlar clutch to be slipping. A lot. Discussing it with the rest of the reprobate crew that was there, one of the guys (unnamed to protect the guilty) recalled how someone's race was saved by pouring soda pop into the bellhousing so the sugar'd carmelize and make more grip for the pressure plate to work with. So we retasked the windshield washer bottle, filled it with Dr. Pepper, and routed the hose to the bellhousing. During the run, when the thing started to slip, I'd just hit the washer swithc and dump more soda in there. It worked well enough to get us through the event...prolly the most ghetto mod I've ever been party to.

That is officially the coolest thing I've heard in a while...

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/3/09 9:28 a.m.
Jay_W wrote:

trackside ingenuity at it's finest right there. I'll have to remember that if I have a clutch slip too much on me and don't have an opportunity to get a new clutch installed or at least get it worked on.

that said, I bet that must have been a holy mess to clean up when you finally pulled the engine/trans to take a look at the clutch

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/3/09 10:34 a.m.
Slyp_Dawg wrote:
Jay_W wrote:
trackside ingenuity at it's finest right there. I'll have to remember that if I have a clutch slip too much on me and don't have an opportunity to get a new clutch installed or at least get it worked on. that said, I bet that must have been a holy mess to clean up when you finally pulled the engine/trans to take a look at the clutch

I had to help my dad repair some of the automated beverage can recycling machines (used to count the bottles and cans for deposit) You cannot fathom how hard it is to clean up dried cola. Looking back now, I think "shotgun" may not have been the right answer, but it would have been one hell of a question!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZA4UwsC5LPurxmevPvmfDnywPo0SvxBSyuJAR9Osam1hYaSsmuDPGVzqhC3tMHIK