1 2 3 4
kazoospec
kazoospec New Reader
6/7/10 8:49 p.m.

I actually looked at one of these a while back and, on paper, it seemed like it had everything I wanted, with one glaring exception. (Personal opinion): Its butt ugly and looks like it should come with a Hertz sticker on the back bumper. What's the point of a sports car that looks like it should come in beige and be listed with a "per day" price? Rental cars (with the exception of the OLD Hertz Mustangs) just don't inspire me.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
6/7/10 9:01 p.m.

does the sedan have the same gawd awfull wing the SS coupe gets?

Edit* Looks like the sedans got small rear spoliers, fine with me

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
6/7/10 9:56 p.m.

The sedan is actually quite restrained and tasteful, IMO.

This just in: The supercharged Land Rover Sport goes round the nurburgring faster than a Cobalt SS.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf HalfDork
6/8/10 6:40 a.m.

Just turned 81000 miles on my 05 SS (super charged) Still love the car. Still gets 30+mpg. It's been realy good to us so far. sure there are some small pet peaves but i'd buy another if this one was wrecked.

Being a have two messed up disks in my back i have to be picky on seats. Most imports seem to have the lumbar suport right in the wrong spot for me. The chevy is just right. I can drive in hours with no ill effects. The wifes forester is hurting me after 20 miles..

Yes the SS wing is nasty stupid looking thing. I ordered a base model wing before i even picked up the car! Guy on e-bay had them he claimed to work at the OEM supplier. It even came painted and 5 years later still matches.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
6/8/10 10:08 a.m.
parker wrote: There is some misinformation in this thread. All 2008-2009 Cobalt SS are turbo with Brembo brakes. In 09 you could get an SS sedan, I have one without sunroof, with LSD.

Aawuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut?

I hate you, SO much right now. I want one.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
6/8/10 10:27 a.m.
parker wrote: All 2008-2009 Cobalt SS are turbo with Brembo brakes. In 09 you could get an SS sedan, I have one without sunroof, with LSD.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
6/8/10 10:29 a.m.
Vigo wrote: This just in: The supercharged Land Rover Sport goes round the nurburgring faster than a Cobalt SS.

I assume you got these times from the wikipedia ring times page? If so, you should have clarified that the Cobalt SS time was set on a wet track, and that there is a second entry for the Cobalt that is 30 seconds quicker than the Range Rover.

2007 Cobalt SS (turbocharged): 8:22.55 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged: 8:55 2008 Cobalt SS: 9:02 (wet track)

Wikipedia Nurburgring Times

Bob

EricM
EricM Dork
6/8/10 10:48 a.m.

I like these. I have liked them even before they made them.

Back in 2001, the Saturn Engineers made a car for the One Lap of America. It was a Saturn sl1 with a turbo's SL2 Motor in it. If you read about it, you see that they used the same "formula" to build up the Cobalt.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/01q4/saturn_sc_turbo-specialty_file

My apologies for linking C&D.

Anyway, I would consider getting another front wheel drive turbo car (hand a New Beetle Turbo -S for a while) over a Rear Wheel drive car, if the performance is right. It looks like the performance is right for the Cobalt SS.

I have done some looking and I can not find one (new or used) within 100 miles of 61821 :(

In my opinion, GM has done things right with this car.

EricM
EricM Dork
6/8/10 10:56 a.m.
kazoospec wrote: I actually looked at one of these a while back and, on paper, it seemed like it had everything I wanted, with one glaring exception. (Personal opinion): Its butt ugly and looks like it should come with a Hertz sticker on the back bumper. What's the point of a sports car that looks like it should come in beige and be listed with a "per day" price? Rental cars (with the exception of the OLD Hertz Mustangs) just don't inspire me.

"sleeper"

kazoospec
kazoospec New Reader
6/8/10 2:44 p.m.

One man's sleeper = another man's "snoozer" I guess.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
6/8/10 2:59 p.m.

Back when I read the tests on the new Cobalt SS, I seriously considered buying a sedan one brand new. That is, until I went to the dealer and asked about it and i was told that it was impossible to even look at one, because they would only send a few and the sold right away, while the other boring crap that sits on the lot they could get as many as they wanted. The salesman agreed with me that it made no sense to chose not to produce a car that sold that well, and i left with an even stronger opinion that GM is the most poorly run car company that is still in business. lol

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
6/8/10 10:29 p.m.
I assume you got these times from the wikipedia ring times page? If so, you should have clarified that the Cobalt SS time was set on a wet track, and that there is a second entry for the Cobalt that is 30 seconds quicker than the Range Rover.

I was immediately suspicious of the 9 minute time, but since i was mostly using it to raise ire i didnt feel the urge to get to the bottom of it!

Next time i will do a better job of skimming results

maddog23
maddog23 None
11/6/10 12:40 a.m.
Vigo wrote: The sedan is actually quite restrained and tasteful, IMO. This just in: The supercharged Land Rover Sport goes round the nurburgring faster than a Cobalt SS.

Bul sheet!

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
11/6/10 7:51 a.m.
GlennS wrote: i think chevy claims to have put down an 8:22 on the nurburg ring with one of them. To give you an idea of how fast that is the new CTS-V did it in 7:59.

John Heinricy once told me about his lap of the N-ring in the Cobalt SS. He said it was bucketing down rain, but the car still allowed him enough confidence to turn in a 9:02.

He was also the one that set the record in the CTS-V.

racerfink
racerfink HalfDork
11/6/10 8:23 a.m.
skruffy wrote: Being years behind the sport compact revolution doesn't help either...

Hell, they practically STARTED it.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
11/6/10 9:40 a.m.

The X-11, yet another car Mr. Heinricy helped develop...

I wish I could find one.

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
11/6/10 10:22 a.m.

Zombie thread!!

racerfink
racerfink HalfDork
11/6/10 10:34 a.m.
Platinum90 wrote: The X-11, yet another car Mr. Heinricy helped develop... I wish I could find one.

Wish I could find my old one.

plance1
plance1 Dork
11/6/10 5:46 p.m.

Cobalt SS????!!!!! Isn't that another car with cheap looking plastic lol!

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
11/6/10 6:20 p.m.
plance1 wrote: Cobalt SS????!!!!! Isn't that another car with cheap looking plastic lol!

The company I work for has a brand new Toyota Highlander Hybrid. You want to see cheap plastic that doesn't belong in a $40+k vehicle, go look right at that. My FIREFLY had nicer looking soft plastic.

plance1
plance1 Dork
11/7/10 1:51 p.m.

I was joking, just being a little sarcastic. Plastic to me is just plastic, it all looks the same to me yet I've seen a few posts lately where everyone is a plastic connoisseur. If its got a turbo or a supercharger, I don't care what the plastics look like.

paul
paul Reader
11/7/10 3:22 p.m.
iceracer wrote: One of the car magazines said it was the best handling FWD car ever, Saw one win a race at Lime Rock during the Grand AM weekend.

Check out the SCCA nationals event results for D-stock, always very high up in the results (along w/ the ITR

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/7/10 3:30 p.m.
plance1 wrote: If its got a turbo or a supercharger, I don't care what the plastics look like.

A-freaking-men!!!!

dsycks
dsycks New Reader
11/7/10 4:50 p.m.

The new Cruz SS should be out some time next year as a 2012.

If they get the brakes and suspension right it could be a sweet little car.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
11/7/10 5:18 p.m.

... if it were a 2 door.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fpYkTP5ab93DZeZvhHtqf9S8pLjPphhEtDk8EaoNQEUA50GhUZk47VoylVpJBcCQ