1 2
Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/2/22 12:14 p.m.

With all the recent Prius posts on this board, and now my commute has doubled I started thinking about hybrids. 

Post up pictures of cool looking hybrid's stock or modified.  Looking for ideas. 

I'll start with the Lexus version of a Prius. These look pretty good. 

6/2/22 12:19 p.m.

Lincoln MKZ hybrid 

Rally prius

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/2/22 12:35 p.m.

MKZ's as hybrid are rather plentiful.  When they were new, the MKZ 2.0L turbo and the 2.5L hybrid had the same base msrp.  It was an interesting approach to the market.  The combination of mpg and luxury are not that common and MKZ is one of the few who really do it.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/2/22 12:40 p.m.

I am intrigued by the appearance on the rare 2010 & 2011 Lexus HS250h  The engine is shared with the Camry Hybrid but the car is smaller than Camry.  So, its sort of a big engine in a small car.  As such, its mpg is 35-ish not more like 45-ish for Prius.  

A quickly found video review of a 150k model https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccaP_9VK3Ug&ab_channel=ExhaustSportsAuto

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
6/2/22 12:42 p.m.

not helping, but

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/2/22 12:47 p.m.

Used high mpg cars are rising in price quickly with $5 gas.  As such, don't forget to look at some non-hybrids.  A Kia Forte can return near 40 mpg on the newer models.  Just don't think that hybrid is the only way to mpg.  Some vehciles like Highlander Hybrid really don't get that great of mpg (2010 Highlander Hybrid 4wd = 27/26/25 mpg numbers)

Spend some time playing with https://www.fueleconomy.gov/ comparing cars and their annual savings.  Be cautious to not spend $6000 more for a car that will save you $1500 per year or a 4 year return on investment.  

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/22 12:49 p.m.

I really like our Audi Q5 e-tron hybrid. 366HP / 38 MPG average right now and get 25-32 miles of pure EV from every charge (it's a plug-in).

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/2/22 12:54 p.m.

In my love of the Gen2 Prius, I'm not gonna lie, I really like the 42 mpg but almost more than the mpg is that they generally don't break.  And, when they do, resources are plentiful.  

Just so it is handy for you, here is the link the the Gen2 Prius Buyers Guide

Cheap Gen2 that needs some love in Mansfield, OH

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/2/22 1:23 p.m.
6/2/22 1:55 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

John good advice as always in your posts. I like the idea of the Prius but I don't really like how it looks. 

6/2/22 1:56 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I really like the looks of that. Are those newer? I have seen some older diesel Audi SUV's but I don't think I have seen a plug in hybrid version. 

6/2/22 1:57 p.m.

In reply to obsolete :

That volt does look good. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/2/22 2:29 p.m.
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to John Welsh :

John good advice as always in your posts. I like the idea of the Prius but I don't really like how it looks. 

Window tint, wheels that are flush and fill the wheelwell, and a spot of lowering makes a huge difference. 

Still funky looking though.  Mines two out of three at the moment. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/22 2:33 p.m.

Took this picture for Michael the other day. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/2/22 2:36 p.m.

I always thought the optional trident wheels on the CT200h were pretty slick looking. Would probably fit well on a Gen3 Prius as well.

Welcome to Club Lexus! CT200h owner roll call & member introduction thread,  POST HERE - Page 24 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/22 2:41 p.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

Yes, ours is a 2020, which might be the first year. There's an earlier generation Q5 Hybrid that's not plug-in (or as powerful) that was 2014ish to 2019 IIRC.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/2/22 2:42 p.m.

A little too low, but the custom wheels and window tint help it out:

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/2/22 2:48 p.m.

Cut the top off ?

I think they look better in white: (window tint would help this one)

not my cup of tea, but some may like it:

I actually really like this one (at least from this angle):

tremm
tremm Reader
6/2/22 4:18 p.m.

I guess the Surf shooting brake didn't make it to production, but the Karma is still probably the most beautiful EV to me, and it's a decade old.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/2/22 4:56 p.m.
John Welsh said:

I am intrigued by the appearance on the rare 2010 & 2011 Lexus HS250h  The engine is shared with the Camry Hybrid but the car is smaller that Camry.  So, its sort of a big engine in a small car.  As such, its mpg is 35-ish not more like 45-ish for Prius. 

You and me both.  They're a little thin on the ground, but they seem to be missing some of the "Good mileage / Hybrid" price increase of late.  I think they're a bit of a half-step technology-wise between the Gen1 and Gen2 Camry Hybrid (engine of the Gen1 Camry, Hybrid unit of the Gen2 Camry)... with apparently the front suspension of the Scion "tC2"

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/2/22 5:03 p.m.

my visual contribution to the thread... via old PriusChat threads

not a fan of the following wheels, but... otherwise...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
6/2/22 5:14 p.m.

CRZ?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/2/22 5:35 p.m.

The Cadillac version of the Volt looks amazing. Can't recall it's name or letters. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
6/2/22 5:50 p.m.

yup:  The Cadillac ELR.  And agreed, they did look cool.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/2/22 6:16 p.m.

I think this fits, Hybrid and modified from it's original race spec to smash some lap records.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g67QOHYg6cdt8Ph47pSkY2FY6ReA2oKTgMVEowU7bRlU0qlx5LgZohLOHBJhKKoK