Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
2/23/24 1:57 p.m.

So being new to this realm. For those of you with enclosed trailers do you transport your fuel jugs in them?

I don't want the trailer to smell like raw fuel. 

I am also concerned about the potential fire hazard.

pkingham (Forum Supporter)
pkingham (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/23/24 2:00 p.m.

I did when I was towing with an Expedition.  With a pickup, I put them in the bed.  With reasonably well sealing jugs, I didn't find the smell to be a problem, though that's not to say there was no smell.  Mostly if I was spending time in the trailer open doors would allow adequate air circulation.

I didn't see much difference between trailer or truck for fire hazard, though overall safety is probably a little higher with fuel in the trailer.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/23/24 2:20 p.m.

I put them in my tow vehicle bed (I tow with a pickup), but the biggest reason is that it's just more convenient IME.  Taking a trailer to a gas station is a PITA, so I'm going to strap them down in the bed of the pickup anyway -- might as well just leave them there until I get to the track.

That said, I typically drop the trailer at the track the night before a race, and I will unload the jugs at that point and store them in the trailer overnight.  I use the VP racing jugs, and as long as they are closed up tightly I don't get any gas fumes in the trailer this way, so I suspect transporting them in there would be fine.

Note that fuel jugs in the trailer will compete for storage space along with everything else that you want to put in there.  The other reason I don't transport them there is that don't really have an easy space to put a fuel jug rack in my trailer.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
2/23/24 2:22 p.m.

Yes.  Yes it can smell like gas a bit, but not as much as you think, and once you open the doors for loading and unloading the air clears right out.  

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
2/23/24 2:37 p.m.

Yes.  VP jugs.  No issues with fuel odors.  I actually get more gas smell from my carbureted car than I do the fuel jugs...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/23/24 2:40 p.m.

We keep our generator and a couple cheapo 1-gallon jugs in the club trailer.  Odor has not been an issue.

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
2/23/24 3:03 p.m.

I transport fuel from NV to CA every two weeks in Summit Utility Jugs. For the hour drive I don't notice it much in an enclosed cab Jeep.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/24 3:08 p.m.

Yes. With modern cans, the smell is minimal. With race cans, it will smell some but will air out quickly when the doors are open. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
2/23/24 3:10 p.m.

I transport in the Sunoco metal pails I buy race gas in. They seal rather well. 

That said, for a carb'd car, you will still get gas smell from what evaporates out of the carbs. 

I always carry race fuel in the enclosed trailer.   But the 5 gallon jugs are not loose.  They are sat down in holders to hold them secure.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/24 6:44 p.m.

It's all about how well-sealed and clean the cans are, you won't smell gas from a good modern can even if it's in the cabin of a small car with you. A lot of the gas smell can come from gas residue on the outside of the can so be sure to clean up any spills right away and keep the outsides of the cans as clean as you can.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
2/24/24 2:19 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

I will be making a box to hold them. I have one on my open trailer.

imgon
imgon HalfDork
2/25/24 9:05 a.m.

I keep 4 jugs in my enclosed trailer and like others have said it smells a little when you first open the doors. Within 5 minutes you would never knowrhey were in there.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/25/24 11:04 a.m.

We keep fuel in five gallon jugs in our trailer and haven't had an issue with smell. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WrxuR3GkktBZddDaVwOpyulb2ZPHeqWryCi6XdRkHAaAxXzQpBykarieqsLBETi9