1 2 3
camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
2/26/24 2:57 p.m.

another issue is that tire shops are extremely hesitant to mount up used tires.  Which doesn't help the take off crowd.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/26/24 3:12 p.m.

It is certainly a worthwhile investment when a friend gives you an ex-Dunlop Racing Corghi machine and another gives you a Snap-On hand powered balancer. The only problem is the amount of real estate they take up in the shop. Having a powered tire machine is priceless; the ability to replace tires whenever I want to is really great. I use the machines about every other month or so. If I start racing/auto-x again, that'll pick up.

I've kicked my own ass using manual machines and after my accident, would be a non-starter.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
2/26/24 6:21 p.m.

I will say that I have had a number of problems with tire shops not understanding performance tires.

• Refusal to mount used tires
  • Refusal to mount brand new Hoosiers as they were "bald" (even though they still had stickers and were obviously brand new)
  • Insistence that my 200tw tires with 500 miles on them were bald (they were barely scrubbed in) and that they couldn't legally let me drive my car home from the shop. (I threatened to call police and thankfully one of the other techs overheard me getting very pissed, came over and hit guy I was talking to over the head)

And don't get me started on performance alignments...

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
2/26/24 7:38 p.m.

In reply to theruleslawyer :

Gaffer tape is a cloth based super sticky tape, think better than duct tape.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/26/24 7:52 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

Yeah, gaffer tape is what stage crews use for taping down lighting cords and the like, it's pretty good about not leaving residue (at least in normal use cases -- for wheels the higher temperatures make it not quite so good at this), and the cloth backing is strong so it comes off in one piece.

The guys at the Hoosier truck like to use aluminum HVAC tape, but I hate that stuff because it breaks apart when you try to peel it off.

I generally go to a local tire store ("wheel works", it's a regional chain in the SF Bay Area).  They recognize me now (I go there a lot), so when I show up with oddball requests they've been pretty accomodating.  Stuff like checking the first instance of a new tire of wheel against a my NASA template before mounting the other three.  They've actually been willing to mount used Hoosiers for me as well.

There are a couple of local race shops that will mount tires, but the tire store is way more convenient.  They're cheaper, they get it done faster, and they're open 7 days a week.  The one downside is that Hoosiers like to spin on the rim and so really want to be mounted with minimal lube (dry is best).  The race shop will do that, but I haven't been able to talk wheel works into it yet. :)

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer New Reader
2/26/24 11:26 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

I used to work at a film school. ;) Like duct tape it can turn into a goopy mess with heat. It wouldn't be my goto tape for wheels based on my experience with it, but I've been wrong before.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
2/27/24 11:46 a.m.
Toyman! said:

Not having to deal with the stupid people who work at the average tire shop is worth substantially more than the price of the machines. 

Why should I drive half way across town to deal with stupid people when I have plenty at home?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
2/27/24 11:52 a.m.
rdcyclist said:

The only problem is the amount of real estate they take up in the shop.

Concur.

I really like having so many of the big things in my shop on wheels, but I don't really see that as an option for the tire machines. I mean theoretically it could probably be done, but I think the kind of sleds you'd have to build to properly support and stabilize those machines (especially the balancer) would be pretty complex and you may as well just go get a 10 x 10 garden shed or somethign if you wanted them off the shop floor.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
2/27/24 1:11 p.m.
theruleslawyer said:
Ranger50 said:

I used to work at a film school. ;) Like duct tape it can turn into a goopy mess with heat. It wouldn't be my goto tape for wheels based on my experience with it, but I've been wrong before.

It's better than duct tape but not perfect, yes.  Is there a better solution out there?

chandler
chandler MegaDork
2/27/24 1:25 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
theruleslawyer said:
Ranger50 said:

It's better than duct tape but not perfect, yes.  Is there a better solution out there?

I've always used aluminum tape

Ive moved mine a number of time trying to find the best spot

sorry, my garage is never not a mess

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/27/24 2:12 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

I think you could use a saw mobile base for the balancer. Unfortunately, the tire machine is way to heavy for one of those. 

BORA PM-3550 Super-Duty All-Swivel Mobile Base

codrus (Forum Supporter)
2/27/24 4:37 p.m.
chandler said:
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

I've always used aluminum tape

The HVAC stuff?  It's no easier to get the adhesive residue off the wheel than it is with gaffer tape, and the aluminum foil doesn't have the strength to come off in a single piece.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
2/27/24 4:37 p.m.

Since we are getting into the DIY details, here's some of my experience.

Best way to remove weights and residual goo/paper/foam ==> plastic "chisel" designed specifically for that job, assisted by 3M Adhesive Remover spray.  Works way better than anything else I've tried, especially Brakleen.

Pop the weights off, spray some 3M on it, and work the tool back and forth on edge first to form a slurry, then flat as a scoop.  Second pass spray is usually only for goo, no paper/foam.  Use a blue shop tool to clean that off. Two passes for each weight block.  Do it outside or in well ventilated area.  Use the non-VOC version.

Oh yeah, my guy Joe has one caveat...same as pro racing paddocks.  Wheels must be clean and weight/goo free.  So I'm quite practiced at that part.

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike New Reader
3/4/24 12:25 p.m.

For covering weights, Gorilla tape works well for holding them on and holding up to heat. If the tires end up lasting a long time, the tape starts to deteriorate towards the end but still much better than regular duct tape, and bonus its black so matches my wheels

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
3/4/24 6:12 p.m.
StuntmanMike said:

For covering weights, Gorilla tape works well for holding them on and holding up to heat. If the tires end up lasting a long time, the tape starts to deteriorate towards the end but still much better than regular duct tape, and bonus its black so matches my wheels

This sounds like what Pirelli uses when mounting at pro races.  Definitely not aluminum tape, nor regular duct tape.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
3/4/24 6:48 p.m.

FWIW, Gorilla tape is a specific brand of gaffer tape.

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike New Reader
3/11/24 7:23 a.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

i'm not sure its the same stuff, it has a slick finish like duct tape but thicker, and def leaves residue. A pain to take off really but holds well.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jwaTFUoWPFS0WZB73neTxNPjWnPRCnU3CLK1KhI78rOsVak240EBl0R1f8MhZKD5