maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/16/19 10:22 a.m.

There is a counterbore on the backside of these OEM SN95 wheels. Research tells me these use a standard 60deg conical acorn nut and the hubs are flat (no protrusion going into the bored). But won't that bolt load collapse the counterbore part on to the hub? Is there supposed to be a washer inside the counterbore between wheel and hub? Or is this normal Mustang stuff?

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/16/19 10:31 a.m.

Looks normal to me, I'd bolt it up. The wheel won't crush, it's stronger than that.

Not sure why Ford did it like that though.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/19 10:31 a.m.

That looks like pretty much every wheel ever.

They probably relieve the backside of the wheel so the tension on the stud stresses more of the face, instead of the area immediately around the stud.  Even loads are happy loads.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/16/19 10:44 a.m.

Okay good because they look friggin sweet and came with Nitto drag radials

ChasH
ChasH New Reader
3/16/19 11:16 a.m.

The wheels have shouldered steel inserts for the lug nut. That counter bore insures the nut tightens the wheel and not the insert against it mating surface.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/19 6:59 p.m.

Knurled FTW.  Backside relief minimizes mounted runout of the hub/rotor/wheel sandwich.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/16/19 8:48 p.m.

It also creates clearance for the push nut used to secure the OEM rotor as the car bounces down the assembly line without wheels installed. How convenient.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ArOCQx3OozwJSmArGq39Vndvg5KbzA94XDaBMWKE4h2YpWOI8kTUocxglKDei3jA