1 2
irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
10/10/18 6:31 p.m.

I just watched some Road&Track road test last year of the prototype in NYC last year. In the video the fender falls off and jams one of the wheels before the video is cut. You'd think that even a prototype test car they'd be sure it wasn't going to break on a low-speed test drive. Do other manufacturers give prototype vehicles to the automotive press to drive?

I really *wanted* the Elio to turn out to be something neat, but it seems that technology has passed it by and it's really not doing anything a Geo Metro couldn't do 25 years ago, it's just doing everything a Geo Metro could do....worse. I mean, you can buy a brand-new Mitsubishi Mirage a few miles from me for $9,900 - and that has typical "car" features and gets over 40mpg.

I suppose it will supposedly keep the buy-in cost down by not having to meet automotive safety standards, like airbags and bumpers? IDK if the idea of driving what is essentially a small car without any of the safety features of a small car or the speed/maneuverability of a motorcycle. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
10/10/18 7:45 p.m.
Daylan C said:

I laughed not long ago when I saw an s10 in bowling green with an elio sticker on the tailgate.

I can imagine one with “My other car doesn’t exist”

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/11/18 2:02 a.m.
Brian
Brian MegaDork
10/11/18 8:17 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill :

RCR Dale documentary that was what I had in mind for RCR to do once Elio folds. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cwfQsJjjvr9DmeAVkKp5snnmfZx6n7RQ8UX4QsmbfB9wHcfK46lmgmkzML1C8vXP