1 2
Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
2/6/19 8:18 a.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

Thanks for posting that link to Woody's thread. Interesting I too have dog hauling responsibilities. Our 130 lb American Bulldog his trained us into giving her a Lakefront ride each evening to visit the Pelicans and egrets. Believe it or not they have bonded as she talks to them out the side window and they respond. she also likes the chickens on my brother's farm LOL

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
2/6/19 8:51 a.m.

I have a friend who has a... 2011? Base model 5-speed Fit. He is a car guy and loves it for what it is. I do fear the automatic will sap some needed power as it's not fast in three-pedal form. You can fit a ton of stuff in the back with the seats down. I don't find it any buzzier/louder inside than other cars in the class (Fiesta, Yaris, etc) and they are all pretty "unrefined" in some regards. But, very okay given the price point and market.

He just drove it to Daytona Beach and back from the DC area, for the Rolex 24. Said it was comfortable the whole time and got great mileage, upper 30s I believe.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/6/19 12:09 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Yes, the first year or 2 of the 3rd gen were built in Mexico & had problems, but I believe they moved production back to Japan? I know it sounded like the problems got cleared up regardless. 

And yes, I’m very much to blame for talking O&F into Fit shopping. 

The manuals are still built in Mexico today. 

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
2/6/19 12:40 p.m.
spacecadet said:
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Yes, the first year or 2 of the 3rd gen were built in Mexico & had problems, but I believe they moved production back to Japan? I know it sounded like the problems got cleared up regardless. 

And yes, I’m very much to blame for talking O&F into Fit shopping. 

The manuals are still built in Mexico today. 

Can confirm. My 2018 manual was Hencho en Mexico. No issues to report. Hadn't heard of any problems before this thread.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
2/6/19 2:47 p.m.

I'm looking into a daily and a Fit is on my short list.  For those of you who own them, I understand that they're more of an around town type of car, but how bad are they on the freeway?  Part of my commute is and 80 mph toll road.  Are they just annoyingly buzzy at that speed or would they be OK for back and forth to work.  I would be looking at a manual.  I like the look (and price) of the earlier ones, but didn't the 3rd gen. come with a 6-speed?  Anyone know if that's a less buzzy option?

-Rob

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/19 3:08 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

They’re not a plush car. They can be a little buzzy at 80, but aren’t bad. Long trips can wear on you, but not any differently than other cars in the class. 

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
2/6/19 4:01 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

I've taken mine on two 1600 mile round trips to my sister's place. The camry in nicer on the highway but the Fit isn't bad. My standards are pretty low thoughwink

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
2/6/19 5:19 p.m.
rob_lewis said:

I'm looking into a daily and a Fit is on my short list.  For those of you who own them, I understand that they're more of an around town type of car, but how bad are they on the freeway?  Part of my commute is and 80 mph toll road.  Are they just annoyingly buzzy at that speed or would they be OK for back and forth to work.  I would be looking at a manual.  I like the look (and price) of the earlier ones, but didn't the 3rd gen. come with a 6-speed?  Anyone know if that's a less buzzy option?

-Rob

I have 112k miles on a Mazda5. Owned since new. We take lots of roadtrips. Its terrible on highway. No power, loud, unrefined. Given I am used to Lexus LS, and the Mazda5 feels like its made by kindergartner in vietnam.  

The Honda fit is worse on the highway than a Mazda 5. I lvoe the car, I have had 11 Honda wagons over the years, but if it was my only car, I would shoot myself between the legs. 

It is all relative. Depends on your standards in life. I also did 6 cross country trips in a Ducati 748 and a Panigale ove the last 5 years..... 

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
2/6/19 7:44 p.m.

Not unless you like turning the motor 4k all day at that speed.  I had to drive some 200 miles every Friday (son had a peanut allergy) and started taking the back roads. Rain was no fun at all on the highway. I'd much rather drive my suburban that far, but it's a hungry dinosaur killer.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cuLFg72WzpYq0PbVtcaixY8yJWYlnD5VH9HGrY975Wwfok2UqhFJNSZCK9tteRlJ