Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
3/19/24 4:37 p.m.

I get all sorts of press releases and product promos, but this one caught my eye today:

Hmm... Black Forest does make some real parts, but a DSG shift knob? Who would possibly need that? I have to investigate....

Wow, it's long anticipated, too! 

Here's the blog post discussing the value proposition:

https://blackforestindustries.com/blogs/news/bfi-mk8-dsg-shift-knobs-are-here?sa_a_id=94f86c4f-5a58-43a4-b3af-19d9ef1ed53e

And here's the link with pricing and colors and such:

https://blackforestindustries.com/pages/search-results-1?q=MK8%20GS2&sa_a_id=94f86c4f-5a58-43a4-b3af-19d9ef1ed53e

So, uh, anybody buying one?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/19/24 4:38 p.m.

Did you buy a new Golf?

Tom Suddard
3/19/24 4:39 p.m.

No, I've been holding off on upgrading to the Mk8 due to a lack of sweet aftermarket shift knobs for the DSG.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/19/24 4:40 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

So what color MK8 are you getting? :)

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/19/24 10:57 p.m.

There goes the blackforestindustries.com account indecision

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
3/20/24 6:48 a.m.

This looks like something you'd buy because you want to trick people who peak into your car into thinking you got the cooler version (the manual)? Very strange.

Does the sequential mode on the DSG use the shift lever instead of just the paddles? I guess I'd kind of get it if it's a common touch point like that. Seems pointless if you're only using it to select D at the start of your trip. 

wae
wae UltimaDork
3/20/24 6:55 a.m.

Let's put this in context, though.  this appears to be the stock shifter:

I can totally see why someone might be willing to pay a quarter-steve to get rid of that....  thing.  It appears that they refer to it as the "chicken nugget".

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/20/24 7:21 a.m.

So it just fits over the "chicken nugget" and stays in place with set screws?  

Tom Suddard
3/20/24 9:18 a.m.

Yeah, I think so. I'd honestly forgotten about the chicken nugget from my time in a Mk8--you only touch it at the start and end of each drive. 

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
3/20/24 9:40 a.m.

Please, please only order one with the manual shift pattern inlay.  Think how kewl that'll be for the vape-brah's at the next caRz-n-cOfFee!wink

Sorry for the snark.  This caused a flashback to a terrible show on the defunct Speed Channel called Hi-Rev Tuners and an episode where their "mechanic" showed how to put a fake air scoop on the hood of a car with double-sided tape.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/20/24 10:01 a.m.

In reply to Coniglio Rampante :

Sort of related, I have a five-speed knob in the M3.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
3/20/24 11:06 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

But it'll be accurate if it ever loses a gear, especially 6th.  Then you can unload it on someone else as a "Special Heritage Edition 5 Speed." 

Ah yes, I truly need something to help shift my car into drive with meaning!!!!!!!! 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/24 12:30 p.m.

Step 1: Buy overly expensive shift knob because your MK8 deserves some knob.

Step 2: Install overly expensive shift knob on your "chicken nugget."

Step 3: Grab your knob and shift your "chicken nugget" "with meaning" for the first time. 

Which leads us to...

Step 4: Contact VW to find out the price for the "chicken nugget" you just ripped out of your center console "with meaning." 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/24 12:35 p.m.
Coniglio Rampante said:

Please, please only order one with the manual shift pattern inlay.  Think how kewl that'll be for the vape-brah's at the next caRz-n-cOfFee!wink

Sorry for the snark.  This caused a flashback to a terrible show on the defunct Speed Channel called Hi-Rev Tuners and an episode where their "mechanic" showed how to put a fake air scoop on the hood of a car with double-sided tape.

I think I used to have the price list for that show. Nothing got on there for free.

Now it's YouTube channels and Instagram. The more things change...

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/24 1:31 p.m.

Black Forest isn't far from me. It's also very close to the shop where JG was looking at a BMW 4 series for your current project.

Given the sorry state of the 4 Series, maybe some bad decision juice got airborne and infected Black Forest. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CPGdfteSqUU2QocBeZuFw2eQEFPWk999YOhgltgI0SUnD5OmpIYkvG6IpMkHwNcS