1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 93
NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/17/22 9:59 a.m.

Yeah that is not surprising at all. Hard to come back from that controversy.

f1.com

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/17/22 10:03 a.m.

I've worked with Eduardo before and I'm very happy to see him as one of the RD's going forward. I always through he ran a good race and was very commutative. Looking forward to working with him again. Hopefully he does the NA races.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/22 10:09 a.m.
NY Nick said:

f1.com

I'm glad to see him pay the price for that. He made a monumentally bad call that really damaged the sport.

This is good news as well:

Direct radio communications during the race, currently broadcast live by all TVs, will be removed in order to protect the race director from any pressure and allow him to take decisions peacefully. It will still be possible to ask questions to the race director, according to a well-defined and non-intrusive process.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
2/17/22 10:53 a.m.

I'm really looking forward to the March testing.  I have to do some homework on where it will be televised.  I'd like a bit more than the small tidbits they show on youtube.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/17/22 11:18 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/17/22 11:55 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I'm glad to see him pay the price for that. He made a monumentally bad call that really damaged the sport.

The FIA has already so much as admitted that he screwed up majorly twice by changing the rules for points awarded in shortened races (Spa) and announcing that they're "reassessing" the unlapping procedures. 

Keith Tanner
2/17/22 1:04 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

He probably has also lost the respect of the teams, which was never a problem Charlie had IIRC. 

NY Nick
2/17/22 1:07 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Maybe 9 out of 10 teams, one team loves him.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
2/17/22 1:54 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I think he let the desire to have a race finish under green overshadow the fact that by making the decision he did, he was in effect deciding the championship. The RD should be sticking to the procedures regardless of who that might benefit. You can't undue the reality of how the timing may adversely effect one team or the other.

Shaun
Shaun Dork
2/17/22 2:00 p.m.

NY Nick said:

f1.com

I would venture a guess Hamilton made it a condition of his return.

NY Nick
2/17/22 2:12 p.m.

In reply to Shaun :

I hope so and I I hope he stipulated that he had to go Vegan too, just so Michael knows who is in charge. laugh

Like a 1980's Van Halen concert rider.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
2/17/22 3:35 p.m.

Sainz and Leclerc excited by 'radical, extreme' Ferrari F1-75 | Formula 1®

Car looks good, not a fan of the drivers suits.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/17/22 3:41 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Based on what I see there, this rule change is going to be pretty awesome.  Every car, so far, had some pretty significant difference in them- like the high outsides of the side pods on the Ferrari.  And this has a similar vent system for cooling as the Aston does- but the locations is very different- sides insted of up.  Which, to me, suggests the plan is to put warm air toward the rear wing area- putting some more behind stroker's theory on the previous page.  

Just having such different looking solutions to the same problems and constraints is pretty cool.

Keith Tanner
2/17/22 4:04 p.m.

Cool until it turns out that one of the solutions is better than the others, and some teams have kneecapped themselves with a cooling layout that depends on their sidepod design :)

They are some of the sexiest looking cars we've had in a long time. They always look their best before the aerodynamicists have exploited every loophole.

Keith Tanner
2/17/22 4:19 p.m.

Quote from the FIA prez about the new race director setup:

With this plan, FIA opens the way for a new step forward in F1 refereeing. Without the referees, there is no sport. Respect and support of the referees is in the essence of the FIA.

"That is why these structural changes are crucial in a context of strong development and the legitimate expectations of drivers, teams, manufacturers, organisers, and of course, the fans.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
2/17/22 7:43 p.m.

I am pleased with all the new announcements and the looks of the cars we have seen so far. This is going to be a fascinating season

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/18/22 8:05 a.m.

The Merc is out- and it's another different interpretation of the sidepods.   It looks more like the Williams in concept than some of the others.  Really minimal sidepods w/o any cooling exits there.  

Very interesting season coming up.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
2/18/22 9:30 a.m.

F1 in Austin extended for another 5 years, through 2026.  I thought they were only able to sign up for 10-year plans.  Wonder if it's shorter in case Miami turns out to be more popular or if there's a west coast race in the works?  No hotlink as I got it via email from COTA this morning.

-Rob

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/18/22 10:25 a.m.

Here is the Link: http://circuitoftheamericas.com/blog/2022/2/18/circuit-of-the-americas-to-host-formula-1-usgp-for-five-more-years

From my understanding part of it and honestly what held it up for so long was the TX Event Trust Fund and what they were willing to approve.

I can ask but if I had to put money on it, the TETF probably said they wouldn't approve a 10 year contract and Liberty has been a lot more progressive than when Bernie was running the show. I mean they just signed Bahrain through 2036 so it seems the 10 year contract requirement is out the window. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
2/18/22 4:30 p.m.

Michael Andretti targets F1 team entry in 2024 Should be interesting, I wonder if he is bringing a manufacturer with him.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/18/22 4:52 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Since it's not likely to be a new entry (since the cost is so high) which team would they be getting?  Haas?

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
2/18/22 5:29 p.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to trigun7469 :

Since it's not likely to be a new entry (since the cost is so high) which team would they be getting?  Haas?

That would be my guess.  Wonder if he'll also need Ruskie financing to make it happen...

NY Nick
2/18/22 5:35 p.m.

I agree that it's interesting. I wonder if Gene is reluctant to sell it to a Russian? His thing was always American made machine tools and then an American F1 team. It feels like Russian / US tensions are as high as I can ever remember. I don't know if selling to a Russian company or person would align with his core values? 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/18/22 5:48 p.m.

Could be that dad is seeing that little Niki isn't a great driver- so buying a team would not be a great investment.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/18/22 5:56 p.m.
NY Nick said:

I agree that it's interesting. I wonder if Gene is reluctant to sell it to a Russian? His thing was always American made machine tools and then an American F1 team. It feels like Russian / US tensions are as high as I can ever remember. I don't know if selling to a Russian company or person would align with his core values? 

I'm not even sure if it's legal, there might be economic sanctions that would prevent it.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 93

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PFgsJDAko57NCOST6zbrTpKVXuB3aEUbZO4aTLaUI1gIjg5MRXqnA3zKr02BtBEG