Moparman
Moparman Dork
5/22/15 2:58 p.m.

The glove box lock on my 89 Shelby Dakota is stuck in the locked position with the door open and I don't have a key. Is there a way to pick the lock?

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar UltraDork
5/22/15 3:02 p.m.

Yours has a locking glovebox? I'll take a look at the one in mine when I get home. You might be able to unbolt it from the lid then disassemble the tumbler.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
5/22/15 6:58 p.m.

it doesn't use the same key as the ignition or doors?

Moparman
Moparman Dork
5/22/15 8:18 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: it doesn't use the same key as the ignition or doors?

No, most old Mopars had separate keys for ignition and door versus glove box and trunk if so equipped.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
5/22/15 8:20 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: Yours has a locking glovebox? I'll take a look at the one in mine when I get home. You might be able to unbolt it from the lid then disassemble the tumbler.

I can unscrew the lock from the door, but afraid of damaging the knob during removal.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
5/22/15 9:03 p.m.

Pry bar

Moparman
Moparman Dork
5/22/15 9:08 p.m.

In reply to plance1:

It is open. I cannot close it. I would never take a pry bar to a numbered truck.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
5/22/15 9:09 p.m.

At least the door is open. It's worse when the lock fails and the door is shut.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
5/23/15 5:30 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: At least the door is open. It's worse when the lock fails and the door is shut.

Yeah, but can't drive around in a nice classic truck with the door flapping. Guess it is off to a locksmith or dealer.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/23/15 5:55 a.m.

In reply to Moparman:

The dealer parts department should be able to cut a new glove box key using your VIN.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v8MuSDlEZBL8ORfB5spTls1bnLDFz6LcK81yFfQbrTdlQfcq8v0z1mO5eNUHDMd6