1 2 3 4
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/30/23 7:17 p.m.

Bumping this thread because I have a Miata insured under Hagerty. Haven't really utilized them so I don't know about the customer experience, but I did a quote for Grundy (cause I recently heard about them) and they're about half the price I paid with Hagerty. Wondering if there's any reason I should stay with Hagerty at this point (IE: am I missing something?)

Anyone got some 2023 modern day experience with these two companies?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/31/23 8:57 a.m.

Grundy quote was basically the same as Hagerty for me, so I'm sticking with Hagerty

8/31/23 10:48 a.m.
docwyte said:

Grundy quote was basically the same as Hagerty for me, so I'm sticking with Hagerty

I see. I wonder if it depends what car you drive.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/31/23 11:21 a.m.

I have three cars through Hagerty. I called Grundy last year before I renewed and they were half the price.

I decided to stay with Hagerty for another year and do further research, but never did.

So my experience is like yours when it came to pricing.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/31/23 11:25 a.m.

You need to read the terms and conditions. Can't compare solely based on price. You need to understand the coverage provided at the price and the restrictions the insurance company imposes. 

Powar
Powar UltraDork
8/31/23 12:31 p.m.

I made the switch from Hagerty to Grundy at the beginning of June. Hagerty increased my premium by 50% at renewal with no increase in the valuation of my (5) covered cars nor other changes in coverage. The Grundy policy was the cost of Hagerty at my previous rate, aka 50% less than my renewal. Two other friends made the same switch this year for the same reason. I hated to do it because I appreciate some of the things Hagerty is doing to perpetuate this hobby of ours, but I can't justify that massive of a difference in cost for similar coverage. I say similar because I actually increased the valuations on each of my cars when I applied for coverage at Grundy.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/31/23 12:43 p.m.
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) said:

You need to read the terms and conditions. Can't compare solely based on price. You need to understand the coverage provided at the price and the restrictions the insurance company imposes. 

My coverage was exactly the same on both, but I believe the restrictions were higher on Grundy and that was one of the main reasons I decided to wait until next time.

I did have Grundy, at some point, many years ago, but I never had to make any claims.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/31/23 1:08 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

This thread prompted me to get a quote with Grundy, after being with Hagerty for a few years. Wow, literally half - $350 vs $750 for 2 cars around $15k each. Right from their website, you are allowed to drive it to work occasionally:

https://www.grundy.com/classic-cars/

I recently explored switching back to Hagerty if I decide to register my Lotus racecar for street use. One big difference I've found between them, after asking both to quote the Lotus, was that Grundy requires garaging while Hagerty lets you park outside (but you may pay more for it). I read my current Grundy policy, and while it doesn't specifically mention storage, they won't quote the Lotus based on their garaging requirement. Hagerty also has options specifically for racecars, while Grundy seems to make no distinction. With multi-car discounts, it would make more sense for me to put all three cars with Hagerty vs splitting into two policies. For now I'm okay with saving the money on my two garaged classics, at least until the Lotus comes off the backburner (if ever).

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/31/23 4:23 p.m.

My one claim on Hagerty was for a windshield for the 911.  They paid it without any issues and paid for OEM/Porsche glass since that was what was already there.

8/31/23 4:24 p.m.
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) said:

I have, and in my case, Hagerty is still more expensive. The garage requirement isn't a problem because I have an oversized 2 car garage. I guess for now, I'll keep Hagerty unless they decide to raise my rates.

Do Grundy/Hagerty utilize multi-car discounts?

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/2/23 2:24 a.m.

I've got two normal cars (Ram 1500 and E350) on regular insurance. It's a bundled package of homeowners and car insurance, plus a multi-car discount. Comprehensive on the Ram; liability only on the Mercedes. Comes out to about $2500/yr for the cars ... this is in northern NJ with spotless driving record and zero claims ever.

Then I have the following cars registered through Hagerty:

• E30 M3 street car ($75k)
  • E30 M3 racecar ($60k)
  • Alfa GTV coupe ($35k )
  • 190E 2.3-16 racecar ($45k)

All 6 cars are in covered parking: we have a 3-car garage at home and the classic/race cars live in shop space I rent from a friend. The price for all 4 cars on Hagerty is about the same as the two street cars on regular insurance. I've never made a claim through Hagerty, but have used their roadside assistance twice over the years. They didn't care that two of the cars were caged and saw track use, as long as they were street registered.

When I recently bought a 13k mile 2002 Aston Martin Vanquish, I was surprised when Hagerty refused to insure it. It's worth less than my M3, which they had no problem with. But they said they classify the Vanquish a a "supercar" and I had indicated that I intended to drive it 1500 miles a year. When I spoke to the rep, he told me that the magic number was somewhere around 300 miles a year for "supercar," but it was too late to change because I had already disclosed that I intended to do more mileage and so they have flagged it as uninsurable. I thought that was kind of a dick move toward a loyal customer.

9/2/23 5:31 a.m.
LanEvo said:

I've got two normal cars (Ram 1500 and E350) on regular insurance. It's a bundled package of homeowners and car insurance, plus a multi-car discount. Comprehensive on the Ram; liability only on the Mercedes. Comes out to about $2500/yr for the cars ... this is in northern NJ with spotless driving record and zero claims ever.

Then I have the following cars registered through Hagerty:

• E30 M3 street car ($75k)
  • E30 M3 racecar ($60k)
  • Alfa GTV coupe ($35k )
  • 190E 2.3-16 racecar ($45k)

All 6 cars are in covered parking: we have a 3-car garage at home and the classic/race cars live in shop space I rent from a friend. The price for all 4 cars on Hagerty is about the same as the two street cars on regular insurance. I've never made a claim through Hagerty, but have used their roadside assistance twice over the years. They didn't care that two of the cars were caged and saw track use, as long as they were street registered.

When I recently bought a 13k mile 2002 Aston Martin Vanquish, I was surprised when Hagerty refused to insure it. It's worth less than my M3, which they had no problem with. But they said they classify the Vanquish a a "supercar" and I had indicated that I intended to drive it 1500 miles a year. When I spoke to the rep, he told me that the magic number was somewhere around 300 miles a year for "supercar," but it was too late to change because I had already disclosed that I intended to do more mileage and so they have flagged it as uninsurable. I thought that was kind of a dick move toward a loyal customer.

Interesting story. I don't think it was any actual person's decision to do that to you though. I think these days a lot of things are just run by software/computers (similar to the hiring process) where things just get flagged and you get screwed.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
9/2/23 8:29 a.m.

It's all about what their algorithms have determined is an acceptable risk or not. You watch enough videos of supercars leaving Cars & Coffee and you'll know why they don't like supercars.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
9/2/23 8:32 a.m.

I need to get off my ass and get some collector coverage for my recently purchased, low mileage 2001 Miata. 

I have no confidence that my current insurer, State Farm, would treat me fairly if I had a claim. 

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/2/23 10:10 a.m.

In reply to RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) :

They explained that there were a total of 3 people responsible for the "supercar division" and they had decided I was uninsurable on the basis of mileage. The car is now flagged as uninsurable by them. Hagerty doesn't publicize a mileage limit for "supercars" nor provide a list of cars that fall into that category. It would have been helpful for me to know all that before I bought the Vanquish and found myself without insurance.

BTW, I understand that this is all on me, but it simply never occurred to me that Hagerty would treat one $75k sportscar differently from another $75k sportscar. And you guys on this forum know that it's FAR more likely to ball up an E30 M3 with knife-edge handling (Gr.N suspension and locking diff) than a stock Aston Martin. And I'm sure M3's get stolen more than Aston Martins; it's not like V8 Vantage owners are buying used Vanquish parts to swap into their cars from chop shops in Jamaica Queens LOL

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/23 10:52 a.m.

In reply to LanEvo :

I've been with Hagerty for 15 years (and 30+ cars) and one thing I've learned is that there's certain cars they just won't touch. My S4 is one of them oddly enough. They had no problems insuring my Z06, any of my Porsches (including off-road coverage on the Cayenne!), my V8 swapped Jag, or even my dad's 800+ HP supercharged Javelin, but a 333HP 4 door was a no go. Based on the number of idiotic crashes I've seen on S4 forums, I think I know why. If they get burned by enough claims on the same car, I think they just stop insuring them and come up with some BS excuse. I've looked into Grundy a couple of times but honestly Hagerty took such good care of me on my 2 claims that I am willing to pay double to keep them. 

9/2/23 2:05 p.m.
LanEvo said:

In reply to RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) :

They explained that there were a total of 3 people responsible for the "supercar division" and they had decided I was uninsurable on the basis of mileage. The car is now flagged as uninsurable by them. Hagerty doesn't publicize a mileage limit for "supercars" nor provide a list of cars that fall into that category. It would have been helpful for me to know all that before I bought the Vanquish and found myself without insurance.

BTW, I understand that this is all on me, but it simply never occurred to me that Hagerty would treat one $75k sportscar differently from another $75k sportscar. And you guys on this forum know that it's FAR more likely to ball up an E30 M3 with knife-edge handling (Gr.N suspension and locking diff) than a stock Aston Martin. And I'm sure M3's get stolen more than Aston Martins; it's not like V8 Vantage owners are buying used Vanquish parts to swap into their cars from chop shops in Jamaica Queens LOL

Yeah, this is all good information. Based on what you and Javelin are saying, it looks like some cars are just no bueno for Hagerty.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
9/2/23 4:25 p.m.

I've never had a Haggerty claim and do like what they do for our hobby.  I will check out Grubdy just for giggles before my next renewal though.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/2/23 4:40 p.m.

Never heard of Grundy. We went for Hagerty on our '68 VW. I think we did stated value of $35k on it and the premium was only $400/year. I also enjoy their online content and their love for the classics.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
9/2/23 9:26 p.m.

Be aware, you can't tow anything with a car insured by Grundy or (I think) Hagerty. Buddy of mine had his VW bus with Grundy and after doing a lot of upgrades wanted to up the stated value coverage, so he sent in some pics showing how nice it looks - he had a very small trailer that hauls a cooler and such attached to the bus in one of the pics. They sent him a note that he was canceled with immediate effect. Not just his bus, but also his Mini and RX7......

He's now with American classics for the Mini and RX, and the bus is with State Farm, who do allow him to tow but restrict the miles to like 2500 a year (which is fine for him)

So, check your policies before you hook anything up to the back of your insured car!

9/3/23 6:00 a.m.
MiniDave said:

Be aware, you can't tow anything with a car insured by Grundy or (I think) Hagerty. Buddy of mine had his VW bus with Grundy and after doing a lot of upgrades wanted to up the stated value coverage, so he sent in some pics showing how nice it looks - he had a very small trailer that hauls a cooler and such attached to the bus in one of the pics. They sent him a note that he was canceled with immediate effect. Not just his bus, but also his Mini and RX7......

He's now with American classics for the Mini and RX, and the bus is with State Farm, who do allow him to tow but restrict the miles to like 2500 a year (which is fine for him)

So, check your policies before you hook anything up to the back of your insured car!

Hmm. I thought Hagerty was more "mod" friendly and open than Grundy so maybe it was Grundy? Unless I'm reading the fine print wrong...

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
9/3/23 8:34 a.m.

Mod friendly, yes......just don't try to tow anything with your insured car. Grundy in this case.

9/3/23 9:30 a.m.
MiniDave said:

Mod friendly, yes......just don't try to tow anything with your insured car. Grundy in this case.

Good to know. I've decided that the next Miata I pick up (as well as my current Hagerty insured Miata) will be moved to Grundy for the next renewal period because it is absurdly cheap. Miatas aren't useful for towing as far as I know. :)

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/6/23 11:14 a.m.

Honestly never really heard of Grundy until now. 

I have always heard that with Hagerty it is best to actually call in an talk to a rep and you'll generally have a better experience than just purely online. 

In my case, my daily vehicles are insured through Erie, and when I asked Erie a while back about agreed value policies, they said they can actually quote Hagerty through their office, so I did. I have my e28 (10k) and an NA miata (5k) on my Hagerty policy. A quick quote online from Grundy claims they would insure for almost half the cost, but I'm not sure details on all the covered parking stuff. For now I'm happy with Hagerty, I haven't needed to make a claim so far, fortunately, but the price is pretty reasonable. 

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/6/23 11:16 a.m.
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) said:
MiniDave said:

Good to know. I've decided that the next Miata I pick up (as well as my current Hagerty insured Miata) will be moved to Grundy for the next renewal period because it is absurdly cheap. Miatas aren't useful for towing as far as I know. :)

I don't mean to sidetrack the thread too much, but you might be surprised...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RTHvUYgSdCvkbxWd1I4kX5BTnfbVMBHnSpzxCo6bU5L3nvzAABUZKHXo4aR3XDH0