1 2 3 4 ... 6
Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/4/20 12:01 p.m.

Lil Stampie gets embarrassed when I tell this story so I'm gonna tell it again.

When he was three he came home from preschool and said "Dad there's a booger man that lives next to the school!"  I said "Booger man?"  He replied "Yeah he'll get you!"  Then I realized he should have been saying Boogeyman.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/4/20 12:31 p.m.
noddaz said:

On a repair order that just crossed my desk.

C/S OIL LIFE IS DEPLETING QUICKLY, NO EXTERNAL OIL LEAKS, CHECK AND ADVISE

I am not sure what that even means.  

Scott

their onboard OLM is dropping quickly. Likely short trips and piddling about town. Damn... I still speak customer. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
5/4/20 12:36 p.m.
gearheadmb said:
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

I've seen Axel a lot, referring to car drivelines....

Beverly Hills Cop' to become TV pilot; Eddie Murphy's Axel Foley ...

I have yet to see anyone use Axl

Axl Rose | Discography | Discogs

You should use later axls, they are a lot thicker

This needs to be repeated! Made my day! 

Also, IBTL.

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/4/20 12:44 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
Datsun310Guy said:

My father-in-law worked for 30 year at a GM Fisher Body plant that stamped out floor pans and roofs and I found it funny he called them floor boards when referring to his car.  

Floors used to be made of boards, and the term stuck when they went to metal.  It's still pretty common terminology. 

I caught myself using the term "floor boards" with our teenage daughter the other day.  While correct, it's anachronistic and I don't blame her at all for giving me a weird look.  But yes, I still remember MGs and Morgans with wooden floors.

No longer here.
No longer here. Dork
5/4/20 12:45 p.m.

Yeah I guess I'm not "Internet forum material" anymore. Bye everyone. Hey Suddard's, go ahead and cancel my subscription while we at it   

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/4/20 12:59 p.m.

"Floorboards".  Interesting side note...

Early in the days of auto mass production, Ford used to give weird specs to their vendors for the crating of transmissions, etc.  The would specify type of wood, exact dimanesions, even require odd holes be drilled in the crates. 

Vendors looking to sell transmissions just thought old man Henry was crazy, but they packaged in the crates he required because they wanted the business. 

Brilliant manufacturer that he was, what the vendors didn't realize was that Ford was having them pre-manufacture the floorboards for the cars.  They would disassemble the crates, and they dropped in fitting exactly. Even had the holes drilled for the accelerator linkage.

No manufacturing cost, no labor, no materials, and Ford didn't even have to pay for waste disposal for the crates. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
5/4/20 1:27 p.m.

One bogus mileage gadget being sold on eBay mentioned something about a "cambusting chamber".

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/4/20 2:45 p.m.

I made the floorboard comment.  

I just thought it's funny my F-I-Law spent 30 years driving a forklift moving pallets of floor pans and roof panels to shipping every day and he never called them floor pans. 

BTW if anyone wants to start a "crazy auto factory stories" he can blow you away or just read the rivet head book.  

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/4/20 3:13 p.m.
No longer here. said:

Yeah I guess I'm not "Internet forum material" anymore. Bye everyone. Hey Suddard's, go ahead and cancel my subscription while we at it 

I have been thinking of buying another gift subscription.  How long should it be to balance this one out?

On a separate note, the signature line for "No Longer Here" has turned ironic.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/20 3:16 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

Early in the days of auto mass production, Ford used to give weird specs to their vendors for the crating of transmissions, etc.  The would specify type of wood, exact dimanesions, even require odd holes be drilled in the crates. 

Vendors looking to sell transmissions just thought old man Henry was crazy, but they packaged in the crates he required because they wanted the business. 

Brilliant manufacturer that he was, what the vendors didn't realize was that Ford was having them pre-manufacture the floorboards for the cars.  They would disassemble the crates, and they dropped in fitting exactly. Even had the holes drilled for the accelerator linkage.

No manufacturing cost, no labor, no materials, and Ford didn't even have to pay for waste disposal for the crates. 

That's brilliant.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/20 3:22 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

Literally his best post ever

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/4/20 3:28 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

Literally his best post ever

don't be mean. there has to be another one almost as good. 

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/20 3:36 p.m.
gearheadmb said:
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

I have yet to see anyone use Axl

Axl Rose | Discography | Discogs

You should use later axls, they are a lot thicker

Yes, but they will still make you late

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
5/4/20 3:38 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

This is the coolest thing I have read in a long time.

Thank you sir.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/4/20 3:48 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

My father-in-law worked for 30 year at a GM Fisher Body plant that stamped out floor pans and roofs and I found it funny he called them floor boards when referring to his car.  

That is still a popular term around here. I might have used it on occasion without a second thought. It is archaic when you really think about it. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/4/20 3:51 p.m.

Dampers are there to control the springs on the suspension.  

Dampeners just get you wet.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/4/20 3:55 p.m.
Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter) said:
_ said:

The sheeple. Try as they might, they can only regurgitate. Never learning, always spewing. The two recent terms I've heard used (inaccurately) are "jumped timed" and "the lifters are tapping". As in: 

"the lifters are tapping on this 22re, it must've "jumped time".  

sometimes all you can do is laugh. A) 22re are timing chain, some models are dual row chains. I've never heard of a 22re ever snapping a chain, or jumping a tooth. B) 22re's have noisy valve trains. It's normal. The "lifters" arent "tapping". 

corrected autocorrect... eff you Siri.

All 22R motors are single row timing chains, unless modded.  I've had one that jumped 2 teeth and survived and one that jumped 3 or 4 teeth and took out 4 exhaust valves.

The self destructive PLASTIC (!) chain guide was definitely an Achilles heal on those lumps.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/4/20 3:56 p.m.

All limited slip differentials are Posi'.

Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter)
Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/4/20 4:00 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Yeah, when I did the first couple, I didn't even know they had metal ones available (aftermarket.)  I have a metal one in the Truck now.

Appleseed said:

Dampers are there to control the springs on the suspension.  

Dampeners just get you wet.  

I once made the mistake of typing that on some copy for the site. David just replied, "Are we making the car wet?" I got a good laugh out of that one, and I shan't make the mistake again. Good times. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
5/4/20 4:08 p.m.

Words type order out of, sentence in, comprehended still, pedant not be.

Term quite right not, pedant still not be.

Snooty be you, worse more than pedant be.

It's only when a Joe Dirt type is trying to impress you that it becomes annoying.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/20 5:12 p.m.

Since I can not spell my way out of a dictionary I polity take the fifth on this subject. laugh

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/4/20 5:16 p.m.

Oh weird, name change changed the original thread now. Used to leave the old name as the starter of a thread if they changed it.

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/4/20 6:35 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

Words type order out of, sentence in, comprehended still, pedant not be.

Term quite right not, pedant still not be.

Snooty be you, worse more than pedant be.

It's only when a Joe Dirt type is trying to impress you that it becomes annoying.

Am I the only one that read this in Yoda's voice.

j_tso
j_tso Reader
5/4/20 7:02 p.m.

In reply to JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter) :

Well, it is May the 4th.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QpQR8HSknbh4KT1u08cwlZjFyV0av58sDtZJMcVUCOAnePC6HSxAcSHjE4ouXyi1