1 2
NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
3/9/20 3:35 p.m.

All manual transmission. 

What would you recommend? Experiences? 

Looking for a fun to drive family car, that fits a forward facing car seat and a booster. 5 and 2 year olds.

Looking for reliability,  reactive car and a willing dancer on occasional autocross or twisty roads.

Budget is $7k to $10k. Probably 2012 to 2016 based on that. Could go lower or higher for the right car. 

Would be a second car for the family, to accompany a 2011 kia sorento bus and 99 jeep xj weekend warrior. 

We currently have an 08 Passat that gets driven 2k per year since my wife works from home. 

I like the 5 door platform and would like a new hyundai Elantra gt n-line but it's out of budget. 

The veloster seems like it should be fun if we can fit as it looses some weight. 

Rear wheel drive is better to hoon with but haven't heard much of the genesis. 

Have always considered myself a Chevy guy and a v6 Camaro has 320hp and start to be in budget. 

Yes, I've drunk some of Bobzilla's koolaid. ;-)

Not interested in German cars. 

Thoughts? 

Thank you

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
3/9/20 3:38 p.m.

Focus ST would be my choice.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/9/20 3:40 p.m.

Forte5 SX. But get one cheap enough to get a tune. It makes a wonderous difference. 

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
3/9/20 3:50 p.m.

In reply to jstein77 :

How reliable have they been?

I like the shape well enough. 

Thank you. 

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
3/9/20 3:55 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I do like them in theory but haven't driven them. You recommended them to me a year ago but wasn't in the cards then. 

Thank you

Are they the theta engine or the Nu engine? 

Mostly trying to see if they have timing belt or chain. Thought the veloster with Nu had chain. 

There's an automatic nearby I may test drive just to see how I like it.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/9/20 4:00 p.m.

In reply to NoBrakesRacing :

All chains. So first gen forte's will be port injected theta's. 2.4 (SX) or don't bother. the 2.0 was pretty weak. Second gen is the gamma 1.6Tgdi in the SX or the 2.0 Nu GDI in the LX. Obviously the 1.6 is the one you want but the 2.0 GDI still makes 170hp and isn't gutless. 

The last korean engines with the belt was the 2.0 Beta in the Elantra Touring and the last of the 2.7's in the Optima and Rondo. 

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
3/9/20 4:31 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

What does the tune give it?

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
3/9/20 5:12 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Good information, not having to worry about belts is a big plus. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/9/20 5:38 p.m.
NoBrakesRacing said:

In reply to bobzilla :

What does the tune give it?

So with the 2.4 it's maybe 10hp to the wheels but the throttle feel is more natural. With the 1.6 it's a 30-40hp gain and better throttle feel

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/9/20 5:38 p.m.

The tune should be good for around 220 at the wheels assuming the config is the same as it is in the Elantra or Veloster.

For performance stuff I would have a hard time not choosing the Cramit in this scenario.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
3/9/20 8:29 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I probably wouldn't do much more than upgrade when it's time to replace. 

Agreed that the cramit should have more offerings. Need to drive them too.

BTW went to test drive a forte. Called them since I had a ten minute drive to check it was available. They said it was but when I arrived it wasn't there anymore, had been gone for a couple days. 

Another reason not to go to that Nissan dealership. 

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
3/10/20 7:31 a.m.
NoBrakesRacing said:

reactive car and a willing dancer on occasional autocross or twisty roads.

To me that describes the FiST. Not sure if the size would work for you, but it might given the two other cars and the amount of use it might get. Price would be at the top end of your range.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
3/10/20 3:25 p.m.

In reply to Snrub :

Thanks. 

I like the Fist, drove it once on a short autocross the Ford did as a promotion. Pulled very hard through it and very neutral handling. 

Have seen a couple in the price range.

It's a ford and I'm a self proclaimed Chevy guy, so would need eat some pride...

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
3/10/20 4:08 p.m.

Cramit is my vote

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
3/10/20 7:06 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

I know I'm looking at opposites, 5 door fwd turbo 200 hp vs. 2 door rwd 320hp.

I know the kia/ Hyundai are solid in the reliable department, need to research the cramit, although haven't heard bad things. 

Wife would be happier with the 5 door. 

Doing school's car line pick up would be easier with it too.

Rwd and 320hp would put more of a smile on my face but they are also wider. 

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/10/20 7:33 p.m.

05-09 V8 Mustang falls in that priceing . (The 4.0 V6 is terrible, don't bother) you may find a high mileage 3.7 11-14 too

The 2012 Camaro got an updated motor which fixed the early 3.6 issues. Been shopping these and gave up. Anything under $10k is beat or very high mileage.

Caddy ATS can be had in 2 or 4 door and manual transmission. They handle great and depreciate like mad.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/10/20 7:42 p.m.

Ecoboost Mustang

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/10/20 8:13 p.m.
Gearheadotaku said:

05-09 V8 Mustang falls in that priceing . (The 4.0 V6 is terrible, don't bother) you may find a high mileage 3.7 11-14 too

The 2012 Camaro got an updated motor which fixed the early 3.6 issues. Been shopping these and gave up. Anything under $10k is beat or very high mileage.

Caddy ATS can be had in 2 or 4 door and manual transmission. They handle great and depreciate like mad.

the issue is that the 2011 v6 mustang is faster than the 10 gt

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/11/20 9:44 a.m.

Yes, but they cost more if you find a nice one. Then you have to put in a better gear and suspension tweaks unless you find a rare performance package car.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
3/11/20 10:37 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Forte5 SX. But get one cheap enough to get a tune. It makes a wonderous difference. 

*EDIT* I just realized the person I referenced was commenting about the Elantra GT Sport, old man brain got confused by the kia as their avatar.

Peabody here
Peabody here UltimaDork
3/11/20 10:48 a.m.

I've looked at the turbo Forte's but never had an interest in the Veloster. Just checked them out and they're cheap. I guess if you can get by the looks they're a great deal

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/11/20 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Peabody here :

The veloster only interests me because its such a stupid bargain. I'd prefer the 5-door or even a Forte Koup SX or Elantra Coupe 1.6T

Peabody here
Peabody here UltimaDork
3/11/20 12:41 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Peabody here :

Elantra Coupe 1.6T

Was the coupe ever available with the 1.6T? I've never seen one

Even at those prices I can't get past the looks of the Veloster - and I'm cheap

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
3/11/20 2:30 p.m.

I like the look of the forte coupe, very clean lines. Have seen manual, sx for decent prices.

Agreed that the veloster has a couple good angles and a couple really bad angles, but seems to be 300lbs less than the 5 door. I liked that it has that weird 3rd door, would make loading the kids easier, specially the school's car line. 

BTW, i realized it's the incarnation of the scion tc, at least from a original buyer's perspective. 

I seem to be 15 miles from any car I like. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/11/20 2:34 p.m.
NoBrakesRacing said:

Agreed that the veloster has a couple good angles and a couple really bad angles, but seems to be 300lbs less than the 5 door. I liked that it has that weird 3rd door, would make loading the kids easier, specially the school's car line. 

Thats interesting.  I look at it as:

I hate that it is missing the 4th door, which makes loading the kids harder, especially in the school's car line.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j57ZRNlpsyt6OvubPBH2ZHjDgZVHTJgytUX6578m1xdpts614e8AZB6CObfjpksm