1 2
Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
4/16/09 7:06 p.m.

It was the first time I've driven for fun in a few years. I'm out of college (nothing to do after work, when once I would've been doing homework or practicing), gas is cheap enough and I had some in the tank, it was beautiful outside, and I haven't explored the roads at all near my new area of residence at all.

I forgot how damn fun it is to just drive down a twisty section of backroad with the windows down, heel-toeing away. I have a Saturn sedan and it's fun! You guys with Miatas and BMWs and Minis and RX-7s, what the hell are you sitting in front of a computer for!?! GO DRIVE! Do it!

Many apologizes if your car is currently broken, and you can't drive it haha. That would kind of taint my "seize the pavement" sentiments right now.

That's my happy rant for the day. Carry on!

cwh
cwh Dork
4/16/09 7:13 p.m.

Young, carefree, a kewl car to play with- I hate you. (I keed, I keed!) Enjoy it while you can, grasshopper.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/16/09 7:19 p.m.

I take the RX-7 on the twisties around here as often as I can, which is at least once a week. I even have "routes" depending on how much time.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
4/16/09 7:21 p.m.

I had my challenger out on the road today, although I am still searching out issues it was super cool to cruise in the brute.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
4/16/09 7:32 p.m.

Good idea...time to go for a spin in the new-to-me Sky.

Seriously though, how can you go YEARS without driving somewhere for fun? I can barely go days let alone weeks/months/years.

Bryce

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
4/16/09 7:46 p.m.
Nashco wrote: Seriously though, how can you go YEARS without driving somewhere for fun? I can barely go days let alone weeks/months/years.

AMEN!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
4/16/09 7:58 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
Nashco wrote: Seriously though, how can you go YEARS without driving somewhere for fun? I can barely go days let alone weeks/months/years.
AMEN!

I can hardly go for a day without just plain driving. Vacations where I don't have unlimited access to a car kill me.

huggybear626
huggybear626 New Reader
4/16/09 7:58 p.m.

There is nothing like going out to take a drive. Some say the best place a man thinks is on the crapper but for car lovers it is behind the wheel on a nice twisty road.

captainzib
captainzib Reader
4/16/09 8:08 p.m.

My fun cars are broken. Driving an automatic for fun just doesn't compute with me. I'll drive any manual car for fun though.

JohnGalt
JohnGalt Reader
4/16/09 8:21 p.m.
P71 wrote: I take the RX-7 on the twisties around here as often as I can, which is at least once a week. I even have "routes" depending on how much time.

Same hear. Always try to hit em when i have any free time.

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
4/16/09 8:29 p.m.

I've been taking the RX-7 to and from work lately to see how well it survives the highway. 30 miles to work, 30 miles from work, plus an occasional extra 15-20 miles. So far, it needs an alignment, I need to swap out the A/C controls, and I may have a vacuum leak. Other than those it's an excellent highway cruiser: super-smooth, comfy seats, sunroof works (and doesn't leak, thank FSM), lots of passing power, and fun to fling up and down on-ramps! I'm still looking for the perfect back road- a nice, long, twisty road with few other drivers and even fewer cops. Haven't found one yet. sigh

Oh, well. First autocross of the season is this Sunday! I'll finally get to drive my FC in anger! Two hours to the place, a lot of hard driving, and two hours home. Good thing I got AAA...

EDIT: Clarified my daily commute to and from work.

walterj
walterj Dork
4/16/09 8:57 p.m.

I took the 964 to work today... somehow logged 322 miles getting there and back.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
4/16/09 8:59 p.m.

That is quite a commute

porksboy
porksboy Dork
4/16/09 9:15 p.m.

Most of the roads I take to the interstate be it from home or the shop are twisty. They are not the most direct route but they are more fun. While most people bitch about the long commute in Atlanta I look forward to my time alone to decompress. I have been thinking about a cheap fun car for a DD other than my truck, a 4 cylinder Ranger with 5 speed can actualy be fun but I'm thinking there is more fun to be had.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
4/16/09 10:37 p.m.

When we first decided to move all the way out here (I work in Atlanta as well), I was a little alarmed to discover my new 40min commute. But after living out here for a couple of weeks I realized there's a lot of great twisties around, and I can even take one to the Interstate if I have the time..

http://tinyurl.com/czn5jx

Traffic's not as bad as it could be, I do shift work and run it in the early afternoon to go to work-or 1030p or so at night coming home. The other roads around here tempt me to buy a LBC just to putt around on my off days. Dang shame TR-4s have become so expensive. Maybe before the answer was "Miata", it was "Spitfire"?

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
4/16/09 11:25 p.m.

my plans to get old and DRIVE have been hampered by breakdowns and rain, but getting out of work and not having to deal with school stuff is great

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
4/16/09 11:52 p.m.

I have this thing about "just doing something to do it".... I can't.

For as much as I love to drive, I have to have someplace to go. Nothing made me happier than when my commute was a 35 mile canyon run, as I put 70 miles of glorious corners on my car 5 days a week.

I'll find an excuse to go somewhere just to make the drive there and back, but I still have to have that place to go.

On top of that, ALL of my cars are busted right now. Tie-rod went in the Mustang, water pump ate it in the Celica, and the Camry's had a busted motor for year now. Good thing I have a nice bike :( Water pump will be in the Celica tomorrow, though

cxhb
cxhb New Reader
4/16/09 11:59 p.m.

I have routes too. SW Ohio has some really really good roads. I feel bad for those who live anywhere near the middle of the state... way too flat for me... i try to go out for a drive at least once a week. It really does clear your head. The best part is, if i feel like im getting bored and uninterested in my car all i have to do is go through the back roads around here and then I always think to myself "Oh yeah, thats why i like this car."

Armitage
Armitage Reader
4/17/09 8:25 a.m.

Taking the day off Monday to take the RX-7 to the track. Does that count? ;)

cwh
cwh Dork
4/17/09 8:32 a.m.

We don't have ANY fun-to-drive roads in SoFla! No curves, no hills, and crazed drivers. 200 miles north, in the Tampa area, there are a few, but that's a long way to go for a cruise. Best drives I ever had were from Baltimore to Summit Point race track. Beautiful twisties, big hills, fun destination. Especially when I took my CB900.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
4/17/09 9:50 a.m.

Mein E30 is in the drive way sans motor, trans, front subframe and front suspension.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
4/17/09 10:20 a.m.

I just sent in for the historic tags on my Z28 and am getting the exhaust buttoned up so I can do a little driving. This car will be strictly used for "fun" driving. Of course, if that means a fun drive to work, so be it.

8 cylinders, 5 forward gears, 3 pedals, and plenty of fun.

What I realized yesterday on the way to and from the exhaust shop is that this car is simply no fun to drive slow. You really need to drive it like a jerk to have fun with it ;)

Clem

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
4/17/09 10:28 a.m.
ClemSparks wrote: What I realized yesterday on the way to and from the exhaust shop is that this car is simply no fun to drive slow. You really need to drive it like a jerk to have fun with it ;)

+10, that is awsome. Also plays into " it is better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow"

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
4/17/09 11:35 a.m.

I drive my MGB GT pretty regularly, but only maybe once a week or three times a month in the dry months. I prefer to take it for longer trips than short drives, but it still gets exercised regularly.

My old W123 is a daily driver, and every time I work out a little problem on it, I'm reminded what a joy it is to drive, so I actually drive that all the time, even for Sunday drives with no destination. Handles like a whale, feels like a firm cloud.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin HalfDork
4/17/09 12:02 p.m.

I have'nt had a to just drive the Interseptor to enjoy it yet. But I do enjoy driving it every day

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fe4aoLDmPe8HGFXEGHCwNKHIZdY5mNAjLO5W4tUJ1tEJhpTOf1uUROqhwgUrYSbM