1 2 3 4
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/13/22 8:59 p.m.
Racingsnake said:
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

probably this since dad was involved and it convinced the FIA to change the course at two famous races 

More details on this? I'm guessing chicanes got added because of too much straight line speed?

You are 100% correct.  The car was too fast on the LeMans backstraight and too fast on the Daytona high bank.  The car was a Nascar chassis setup for road courses with no weight limits like Nascar.  It was insanely fast.  The biggest issue was transmissions life and getting the drivers to dial it back and finish.  My dad always blamed the drivers for not winning.  Racing 250-500 miles and 24 hours are vastly different. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/13/22 9:49 p.m.

I've thought about a reply to this thread since it started. 

I finally realized my answer, and it's not a car. 

Greyhound, aka the grey ghost.

Fastest trotter in the world, from 1938 to 1969.

He set that world record in a time trial at the Red Mile in Lexington, KY, and that mile in 1.55 1/4 continued to stand as the track record until Arndon lowered the trotting world record to 1.54.0 in 1982. Arndon was only the second horse to trot a mile faster than Greyhound in 34 years. My brother was Arndon's groom. 

The Red Mile was THE destination for time trial records, in addition to hosting the Kentucky Futurity, the third and final event of the trotting Triple Crown. That made it an even more remarkable time span for his track record.

Arndon, setting the world record and finally setting a new track record.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JlVMv5KHXWoCUdyUWMtaOGRVLayq0rhtV7zM3s1LS6Qh7GarcjYm0n6pcZhHqZ70