1 ... 3 4 5
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports
6/10/16 1:13 a.m.
JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
6/10/16 1:17 a.m.
Kreb wrote:
Lesley wrote: I would be very happy indeed if a six-speed Classica base model followed me home. My story's already up
Link?

Lesley being modest and mindful to respect the GRM territory but I feel she has earned her place around here so...

Said another way...she has more class than I do myself.

Does Lesley gain an advantage considering that in parts of Canada "midnight" arrives 1 hour and 30 minutes earlier than the US?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports
6/10/16 8:59 a.m.

Nope. The Embargo for everybody was 12:01am EDT.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/10/16 9:55 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

I guess there's no fooling Mazda!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
6/10/16 10:04 a.m.

So base model does not have that silly screen on the dash and the 160hp motor right? I could live with cloth seats.

If its a Mopar ECU its going to take some time to crack they have gotten serious in the last two or three year about keeping people out.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/16 10:57 a.m.

The base model screen is probably the same as the one in the Miata. While the "silly screen" looks like someone propped an iPod on the dash, the base model looks like someone left a clock radio there with approximately the same functionality.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
6/10/16 11:04 a.m.

Boo, I am liking the NC more and more now.

Keith Tanner
6/10/16 11:14 a.m.

Then get the Sport/Classico, rip the clock radio off the dash like they do in the Global Cup MX-5s and just install a hidden amp with a bluetooth input or a 1/8" input cable. Voila.

If you're making your choice just on a thing on the dash, you're doing yourself a disservice. The ND chassis is a whole lot more fun to drive than the NC is IMO, and apparently the 124 inherited it as well.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
6/10/16 11:38 a.m.

Yes, that's the same base radio as in the 124 Spider. I don't get the hatred of the dash screens–they really don't get in the way any more than, you know, the dash.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/10/16 11:41 a.m.

To me they just look unfinished or like an afterthought. "Oh crap we finished the dash and forgot a scree. No biggie, we can just stick it on to of the dash."

collinskl1
collinskl1 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/10/16 11:42 a.m.

Consumers seem to want screens that look more like iPads et al sitting on the dash, rather than panels that are integrated where the radio used to go.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/10/16 11:43 a.m.

Sit behind the wheel, and the screen doesn't get in the way. Mazda said that they could have made it retractable, but that would have added weight (and cost). Our M235i had a similar setup.

Keith Tanner
6/10/16 11:44 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Yes, that's the same base radio as in the 124 Spider. I don't get the hatred of the dash screens–they really don't get in the way any more than, you know, the dash.

One of the standard comments after someone first sits in or drives an ND is "the screen doesn't bother me the way I thought it would". It photographs poorly but just works in real life.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
6/10/16 1:59 p.m.

It looks really good to me. I would be curious how the turbo drives in comparison to the normal 2 liter.

Keith Tanner
6/10/16 3:07 p.m.

The funny thing is that a lot of the original complaints about the ND were the low power level, although the car had lots of torque (for a Miata). The internet commenters all seemed to want another S2000.

Now the Fiat comes along with basically the same power level but more torque, and everyone gets all excited

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
6/10/16 4:28 p.m.

I'm all excited because maybe maybe maybe there is a sliver of a chance Fiat will give us a coupe AND they apparently didn't screw up the car with their engine.

Keith Tanner
6/10/16 8:48 p.m.

Well, looks like FM is going to put in an order. It's the best way to develop the parts. I suspect we already have good brakes, coilovers and wheels. Sways to be determined, and of course intake, downpipe, exhaust will be unique.

Mark_Booth
Mark_Booth New Reader
6/10/16 11:24 p.m.

The Fiat in Classica trim (base model) does, in fact, come equipped with the smaller radio unit (no infotainment) that looks a little like an AM/FM clock radio (as seen in a Sport trim ND above). Fiat had two Classica Trims out with the journalists in San Diego to, plus eight Lusso Trims. I shot more photos at both Flinn Springs and at Qualcomm Stadium (autocross course). Those new photos are in the same gallery I linked before, and those new photos start right here:

http://www.thephotobooth.net/Cars/Fiat-124-Spider/n-PZ7TQs/i-6DTqH9z

Mark

Mark_Booth
Mark_Booth New Reader
6/10/16 11:26 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: The funny thing is that a lot of the original complaints about the ND were the low power level, although the car had lots of torque (for a Miata). The internet commenters all seemed to want another S2000. Now the Fiat comes along with basically the same power level but more torque, and everyone gets all excited

More torque plus more weight!

Mark

Burrito
Burrito Dork
8/24/16 5:20 p.m.

Zombie Bump for some unsubstantiated rumors.

AutoCar UK 124 Coupe?

Shut up and take my money!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/16 8:24 p.m.

eh.. I would rather a different take.. bring back something similar to the original 124 coupe' preferably the very pretty series 2

kanaric
kanaric Dork
8/24/16 8:29 p.m.
Burrito wrote: Zombie Bump for some unsubstantiated rumors. AutoCar UK 124 Coupe? Shut up and take my money!

I am excited if true. If they make it look like the 2nd gen as was said I would be happy.

I can see people calling it the microchallenger tho.

ufmarkm
ufmarkm GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/25/16 9:49 p.m.
kanaric wrote:
Burrito wrote: Zombie Bump for some unsubstantiated rumors. AutoCar UK 124 Coupe? Shut up and take my money!
I am excited if true. If they make it look like the 2nd gen as was said I would be happy. I can see people calling it the microchallenger tho.

Whoa. My parents had one of these when I was a young kid. In yellow. Cute car. As I recall the upholstery disintegrated and they had to have it re-upholstered. I remember the Fiat mechanic being an uncle figure in my life since we saw him so often.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lMB0Rad40qZhimn0Fh8YhkZFq7UDhX6mjPrSN31F9LZvYXGHeGQ6qccOKOlGDiR3