1 2
CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
4/12/09 2:13 a.m.

I need some info about the ex-cop 9C1 Impala from lets say 2002 and up.

Who own em? What to look for? Pro/ Con? MPG?

I still want the cop charm but not the donut heavy Vic

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/12/09 10:45 a.m.

Absolutely identical to the regular FWD Impala.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
4/12/09 10:51 a.m.

I have heard they have problems with the transmissions, probably due to the Police abuse

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
4/12/09 10:54 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: due to the Police abuse

cant we all just get along?

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
4/12/09 2:44 p.m.
P71 wrote: Absolutely identical to the regular FWD Impala.

You sure?

I have heard different. Could be wrong though

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS New Reader
4/12/09 4:46 p.m.

I have a 2000 Impala 9C1 my son drives. I picked it up for him a year ago after he finished high school. Good heavy duty car for a student. His hand me down Bonneville hit 240K and the fuel pump died, so I decided to retire it to someone else.

Differences between the Police Unit and Civilian:

Tranmission-Heavy Duty 4T65E police unit with a lower gear ratio. Brakes 12 inch disk front (Z28 brakes in the front). Stiffer springs and struts. Cast iron hub and knuck assembly vs. aluminum in the civilian version. Larger batter and alternator. Power steering cooler. Strengthened aluminum engine cradle. Thicker steel wheels. 140 mph speedo. Larger radiator with dual electric fans. (source-Chevy Police manual and July 1999 C & D)

The 3.8 V6 is the same as the civilian. The rear disk brakes are also the same also, but 11 inch so very adequate.

I drove the car for 2 weeks city/highway and got 21-22 mpg. A couple of highway trips 28-30. If my son drives it hard in town and gets about 17-19.

We descreened the MAF, and added a K&N filter in the stock box.

A couple of weeks ago we added Dynomax exhaust pipe for a Grand Prix, with a Thrush glasspack as a resonator and 2 Thrush Welded Mufflers in the back. He likes the sound, I think its OK. I personally think Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers sound the best on a 6cyl though. The Thrush Welded mufflers are a good buy at $29.99 each-but disapointing to find out they are made in China.

Last weekend we decided to change the plugs, since it was at 75K. The back three are a bear to change. You get to remove some bracketry and the front engine mount struts to tilt the engine forward. We went with AC Delco iridiums with Taylor 8.5mm wires.

The Goodyears it came with were rough, so shortly after we swapped over some generic tires that were on the Bonneville. The car handled much better with the spec Goodyears, so the future calls for Goodyear replacements.

The one thing we don't like? No cruise control.

Car Tuning makes a turbo for the 3800 V6's. Its spendy though, about $3500.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
4/15/09 8:27 a.m.

any more info? Im a bit suprised at the MPG figures. Our Lumina with almost the same 3.8 engine (hp/tq figures) just pulled low low 20s in the city and easily 30 on the highway. And this is with like 180K miles. Almost the same no?

Did these get the upgraded/redesigned intake? The plastic one on the 3.8 leaked i believe.

Anything else to look out for?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
4/15/09 8:38 a.m.

^ Impala is a lot larger than a Lumina.

d_balls
d_balls HalfDork
4/15/09 9:02 a.m.

Michigan publishes the results from their annual police car testing. Always a great resource for technical specs and some performance testing

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123--16274--,00.html

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
4/15/09 10:24 a.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: any more info? Im a bit suprised at the MPG figures. Our Lumina with almost the same 3.8 engine (hp/tq figures) just pulled low low 20s in the city and easily 30 on the highway. And this is with like 180K miles. Almost the same no? Did these get the upgraded/redesigned intake? The plastic one on the 3.8 leaked i believe. Anything else to look out for?

He mentioned different gear ratio.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
4/15/09 10:33 a.m.
d_balls wrote: Michigan publishes the results from their annual police car testing. Always a great resource for technical specs and some performance testing http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123--16274--,00.html

that's cool. I'm confused by their results a little bit. they ran the 1/4 mile in a P71 in like 16 and a half seconds. I've never taken mine to the track, but I've lined up with consistent mid 15 second cars and walked away(not by a lot, but enough to matter). My car does have 3.73's, but nothing else of consequence, and according to their results there was barely any advantage from 3.55's to 3.27's anyway. hmmmmmmm....

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/15/09 1:27 p.m.

Holy hell, look at the chart in the 03 survey that compares 02 to 03! The 02 CVPI (like yours and mine) was 1.5 sec quicker to 60 and 2 sec quicker to 100 with shorter stopping distance than the 03 model! I guess the extra weight/suspension change wasn't so hot?

I still have a hard time believing it's a 16.8 second car stock. That means a CAI, cat back, and tune are worth TWO seconds and TEN MPH in the 1/4. That just seems like too much.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel New Reader
4/15/09 1:56 p.m.

Re Impala final drive ratios, I know this isn't totally apples-to-apples, but the 2006 Impala 9C1 brochure quotes 3.29, while the GM Canada web site says the civilian 2009 Impala has a 2.86. (Both have the 3.9 motor, not the ancestral 3.8.) That'll get you some additional scoot, but you will "pay for it at the pump." On the plus side, I believe the very newest 9C1s (2008 up, maybe?) can shut down three of their cylinders when cruising, which the 3.8s never could to my knowledge.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/15/09 4:12 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: ^ Impala is a lot larger than a Lumina.

no it isnt, it's the same size and built on the same W body platform

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
4/15/09 4:15 p.m.

W-body platform yes. Same size, no. We have one of each parked to each other in the back lot and the Imp is larger. Add in the newer safety standards required and I'm sure it's heavier.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
4/15/09 4:22 p.m.
P71 wrote: I still have a hard time believing it's a 16.8 second car stock.

That lines up with that popular mechanics story I showed you a while back and you disliked. Just saying.. we have two data points that are now close. Remember that the story and the michigan tests are both with full cop gear.. meaning radios computer blah blah blah.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/15/09 4:42 p.m.

Guess that means a CAI/tune/catback really is worth 2 sec/10 mph Guess I can't complain about the performance gain per dollar!

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
4/15/09 4:51 p.m.

In my heart, the 9C1 died in 1996.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
4/15/09 6:46 p.m.
ignorant wrote:
P71 wrote: I still have a hard time believing it's a 16.8 second car stock.
That lines up with that popular mechanics story I showed you a while back and you disliked. Just saying.. we have two data points that are now close. Remember that the story and the michigan tests are both with full cop gear.. meaning radios computer blah blah blah.

The listed "test weight" in the 2003 comparison (not sure where p71 found the older reviews), and said it was 4155. I've weighed mine and she came in right at 4020. 130lbs can't make the car over a second slower. I'd stake real money my car could throw down a 15.5 or better any day of the week. I still don't understand.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
4/15/09 6:48 p.m.

The gear ratio does make a difference with the MPG-very minimal compared to the low end acceleration difference though.

One thing to keep in mind with test comparisons-besides the question "with or without all the police equipment loaded on" (especially light bars and push bars) is the weather at the time of the test (which you won't know).

I believe the last year for the 3.8 was 2005?

Here is a late model Impala message board forum link: http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums

I have not looked it over too much yet myself.

A supercharged 3.8 or the new 5.3 V8 would have been more fun in the 9C1

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/15/09 7:58 p.m.

If you click on the link we're all talking about, on the bottom is "old reviews" in PDF form, the oldest is 2003. Open that up and towards the middle of the pages is a comparison of 2003 vs 2002 results. All of the 02 cars were slightly better (more favorable weather?) but the 02 CVPI absolutely trounced the 03.

None of the tests were done with light bars or push bumpers or spotlights but they did have the radios/etc.

I haven't weighed mine but it has 1 spotlight, the small push bumpers, a full civilian interior (with thick carpet, sound deadner, etc), and no weight reduction done at all. I race on the steelies with 225 Toyo Proxes TPT's with a 1/4 tank and I'm pretty porky.

Guess I'll go weigh up tomorrow for grins and giggles.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
4/15/09 10:48 p.m.

From what i understand from P71 owners, the factory exhaust system is very restrictive.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/15/09 10:56 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: W-body platform yes. Same size, no. We have one of each parked to each other in the back lot and the Imp is larger. Add in the newer safety standards required and I'm sure it's heavier.

the 99 lumina is 23mm longer than the 2000 impala. imp is 12mm wider.

it's the same car under the skin. same as the monte, regal, intrigue, grand prix.

i could not push myself to get rid of my P71 for a late model impala. i can't deal with front wheel drive very well - i just do not like it says the guy with a W body of his own.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
4/15/09 11:16 p.m.
patgizz said: i could not push myself to get rid of my P71 for a late model impala. i can't deal with front wheel drive very well - i just do not like it says the guy with a W body of his own.

i just am after better MPG really. i drove a lumina all through highschool...not that bad

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/15/09 11:38 p.m.

The factory exhaust on mine was very restrictive! The pipes were small and crimped and damaged to boot. I didn't understand the factory routing so I went with under-the-axle.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DkzZOHH8ZSATKK6vgbIkwSY04MdJUzwwsF12zKmgewRm10hNp3O78HCOmQjYbv1U