1 ... 3 4 5 6
Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/16/23 6:52 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

The design of them is such that you can adjust the static compression of the spring and (I think) that changes the "stiffness".  With that said, I have mine set near full soft, and it's certainly stiffer than stock.  I'd estimate about 50-60% stiffer.  It's a little bumpy, especially since I have a rigid race seat in mine.  I'm sure it'd be better in a stock seat. I put about 150 miles on the car the other day and wasn't hating it.  I'm pretty sure some standard lowering springs would be softer. 

LukeGT
LukeGT GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/17/23 9:09 a.m.

This sounds absolutely awesome. I'm in Central FL and have been really wanting to find something Cheap that I can track the crap out of without worry, this might be just the ticket! 

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/29/23 3:08 p.m.

This is probably circa 2011.

Lof8 - Andy
10/2/23 2:07 p.m.

bump for year range change.  1993-2008 Corollas acceptable.

LukeGT
10/2/23 9:08 p.m.

Also to clarify based on our FB convo earlier today, no XRS Corollas allowed. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/2/23 9:21 p.m.

Widening the class up to 2008 opens up a lot more options for finding a car. Were the later non XRS ones still sold with manual transmissions?

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
10/2/23 9:44 p.m.

Yes, they were, in all 3 trim levels.  All had the same engine too (CE, S, LE). 

10/2/23 9:44 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Widening the class up to 2008 opens up a lot more options for finding a car. Were the later non XRS ones still sold with manual transmissions?

Answering my own question, yes, I'm finding some for sale with manual transmissions.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/2/23 10:21 p.m.

I think the addition of these next gen Corollas is a smart idea.  There are many more of these still on the road to choose from.  I'm not saying that this gen is a better race car but rather that I think it will be easier to find a good example thereby making it a better car.  

I was curious what is different of the two generations so I looked up magazine reviews for 2003 when they were launched.  In this C&D article, I find these words interesting... 

The 2003 Corolla still uses the 1ZZ-FE 1.8-liter engine found in earlier models, but a larger-diameter throttle body has bumped peak horsepower up 5 hp to 130 at 6000 rpm, and the torque band has been broadened

Although the transmissions are carried over from '02 Corollas, the final-drive ratio is lower—3.94 versus 3.72 on manuals, 2.96 versus 2.66 on autos—promising equal acceleration despite a weight increase of about 200 pounds.

Seems like there is little advantage over a 2002 given that hp increase is defeated by lb increase.  However, it wasn't until '00 that the old gen got VVTI so these '03+ probably have a slight advantage over the pre '99, non variable engine.  

Lof8 - Andy
10/16/23 2:28 p.m.

I missed these posts since my last one.  It wasn't my call to add the newer cars, but I'm not opposed to it either.   They seem similar enough and gives interested people more options.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/23 6:50 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

The design of them is such that you can adjust the static compression of the spring and (I think) that changes the "stiffness". 

The static compression of the spring is defined by the weight of the vehicle.  All those "adjustable preload" things do is allow you to define where your maximum compression and droop are. 

Really, they allow a manufacturer to make one damper and then make a lower insert to fit whatever car, sacrificing suspension travel and light weight in the process.

Our own Keith has had a lot to say on the subject smiley

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
10/19/23 9:54 p.m.

Is there a helical diff available for the e110? After reading through this I got a little intrigued and started looking but couldn't find anything. 

Lof8 - Andy
10/20/23 7:39 a.m.
HopmanJones said:

Is there a helical diff available for the e110? After reading through this I got a little intrigued and started looking but couldn't find anything. 

I'm not sure.  But if you want to "Corolla Cup" the car, a limited slip diff wouldn't be allowed.  No internal driveline modifications.

HopmanJones
HopmanJones Reader
10/20/23 8:57 a.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

I wasn't necessarily thinking of the corolla cup since it's not in my area. Just a general motorsporting question. 

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing HalfDork
10/20/23 2:08 p.m.

Is there a magic year and trim for the lightest vehicle with the most power?

You guys are putting ideas in my head.

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/20/23 5:25 p.m.

Just a quick note. I remembered that Moroso used to make a baffled oil pan for the 1ZZ-FE engine that helps prevent oil starvation. If I had installed one before autocrossing I probably would still have good compression in all 4 cylinders instead of just the first 3, #4 is probably 75%. Im not worried about it since that was 150,000 miles ago. currently at 235,000 miles and still chugging along.

Lof8 - Andy
10/22/23 1:08 p.m.

LukeGT
10/23/23 11:52 p.m.
gunner (Forum Supporter) said:

Just a quick note. I remembered that Moroso used to make a baffled oil pan for the 1ZZ-FE engine that helps prevent oil starvation. If I had installed one before autocrossing I probably would still have good compression in all 4 cylinders instead of just the first 3, #4 is probably 75%. Im not worried about it since that was 150,000 miles ago. currently at 235,000 miles and still chugging along.

https://www.moroso.com/toyota-lotus-elise20970/

Whew a bit rich for my blood I think... $742 per Moroso's website 

Lof8 - Andy
11/17/23 9:20 a.m.

The first official Corolla Cup event is scheduled for 1/6/24, its a PCA autocross at Sebring.  Check the facebook group for a registration link.

11/17/23 9:35 a.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

The first official Corolla Cup event is scheduled for 1/6/24, its a PCA autocross at Sebring.  Check the facebook group for a registration link.

Anyone want an experienced codriver? 

Lof8 - Andy
11/17/23 9:48 a.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

Anyone want an experienced codriver? 

whats your stature?  I'd probably be willing to let you co-drive, but my seat is fixed.  I'm 5'9" 175 lbs.  My seat is pretty tight on me.

11/17/23 9:52 a.m.

5'11"  168 lbs. Pretty close 

Lof8 - Andy
11/17/23 10:00 a.m.

5'11"  168 lbs. Pretty close 

go ahead and sign yourself up!  You've got a seat in my fancy oil-burning corolla :)   Remind me as we get closer, just so I don't forget.  I'll have permanent vinyl numbers, "317".  So you may want to choose 31 or 17 and we can just blue tape over one of the digits, or bring magnets of your own to cover my numbers.

11/17/23 10:08 a.m.

OH BOY, I AM EXCITED!

CFR and Martin sports car club both used to autocross at Sebring, and I never made it to any of the events. I understand that that Porsche club has an inside, no one else gets to run there anymore.
I've got magnetic numbers, and i'll register today.

Lof8 - Andy
11/17/23 10:19 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

sweet!   Last time I did an autocross at Sebring with this group, it was on the skid pad area, not in the big paddock space (unfortunately).  I'm not sure which area they'll be using for this one.

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m6lLfODWHC4is5caC28ZBpxAv30LPNr7N0LJxRPGYAQmV2uAiM7QslZm8e40ngfd