1 2
ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
4/18/23 8:34 a.m.

Riding in the passenger seat of a brass-era race car was possibly the coolest and most terrifying car experience I’ve ever had.

Before this, my weirdest car experience came in a Messerschmitt, a microcar that’s more scooter than car. I thought that would be the most dangerous-feeling thing I would ever ride in. Turns out I was wrong.

[Driving …

Read the rest of the story

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/23 9:08 a.m.

I want a Brass Era speedster. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
4/18/23 9:26 a.m.

I kinda wanna MAKE a brass-era speedster. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/23 9:37 a.m.

Maybe we need a Brass Era Speedster class at the next Challenge. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
4/18/23 1:49 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

1. Only pushrod engines.
  2. Only manual transmissions.
  3. Only leafspring suspensions or period-correct systems.
  4. Seat has to look like a Presidential barcalounger
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/23 1:52 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

5. 145 section width tire, max.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
4/18/23 2:03 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

6. Obviously, only carburation, though you can use more than an updraft.

7. Mechanical fuel pumps are acceptable?

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/18/23 2:14 p.m.

But they have to be on 22"+ rims.

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta New Reader
4/18/23 3:15 p.m.

8. No safety gear other than leather helmet, gloves, and goggles allowed.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/18/23 4:17 p.m.

9. Drum (or more primitive) Brakes ONLY

10. Bonus points for hand crank starter. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
4/18/23 4:29 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

11. If you're injured by said starter, you get free refills for the period of the race laugh

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
4/18/23 5:18 p.m.

Do ya'll think they have to be all generator on 6 volt? Or would we allow modern alternators?

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/18/23 5:22 p.m.

I don't think alt vs. generator, fuel pump type, etc should make a difference, since neither really changes the driver experience or the aesthetic.

For sure, no fenders.  Just so nobody shows up with an ACVW, which meets the letter of the rules here but definitely not the spirit.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/18/23 7:11 p.m.

I think generally banning any engine newer than 1960 may be necessary, as an LS might squeak by the pushrod rule...  Certainly makes it interesting to figure out a build.

I mean, nothing later than 1950 would be great, but likely hard to do in budget

Although I admit to loving me some of this...

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/18/23 7:58 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

No V engines unless the design is from before 1950?  That would allow Flathead Fords (which would be cool) but also more "modern" inline engines like.... um...  how about a Ford 170 six with a gaggle of SU carbs brazed to the intake manifold?

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
4/19/23 1:41 p.m.

I'm not a good passenger in any kind of car, let alone a brass era racer where one is completely exposed.  No tanks!!

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/19/23 2:29 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Apexcarver :

No V engines unless the design is from before 1950?  That would allow Flathead Fords (which would be cool) but also more "modern" inline engines like.... um...  how about a Ford 170 six with a gaggle of SU carbs brazed to the intake manifold?

How about a straight 8 Buick Roadmaster? ( era 1931 )   With a gaggle of SU's?  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/19/23 2:34 p.m.

In reply to msterbeau :

Don't ride in a MG  T series then.  Cut away doors, ( you can reach down and touch the pavement)  fold down windshield.  Wire wheels up to 19" high.!   

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/19/23 2:39 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I don't think alt vs. generator, fuel pump type, etc should make a difference, since neither really changes the driver experience or the aesthetic.

For sure, no fenders.  Just so nobody shows up with an ACVW, which meets the letter of the rules here but definitely not the spirit.

MG's had electric fuel pumps in the 1940's and maybe earlier. 
      Really wouldn't want to take the fenders off.  Since dad paid $300 for it back in 1962,  there is quite a budget left for performance stuff 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/19/23 2:41 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

1. Only pushrod engines.
  2. Only manual transmissions.
  3. Only leafspring suspensions or period-correct systems.
  4. Seat has to look like a Presidential barcalounger

I got all that , except #4 in the 85 corvette thing I have been running the past two years...

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/19/23 5:34 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to msterbeau :

Don't ride in a MG  T series then.  Cut away doors, ( you can reach down and touch the pavement)  fold down windshield.  Wire wheels up to 19" high.!   

Are those the ones where the transmission comes up through the floor?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/19/23 5:38 p.m.

?

I hope I'm answering your question.   Yes it's a floor shift 4 speed .  The transmission is up by your feet and the lever is on an extension back by your elbow.  So if you drop your hand off the steering wheel it lands on the shift lever.  
 Is that what you are asking?   

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
4/20/23 11:18 a.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to msterbeau :

Those aren't too bad.  You sit way up high in a brass era car.  Put me at the wheel and I'll be ok with it.  Maybe.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/20/23 11:00 p.m.

In reply to msterbeau :

Well you'll get a real thrill driving a MGTC Even a really carefully maintained one will have you swerving all over the road. .  Really quick steering,  and the steering box, well  loose Is normal.  That and bump steer. Straight axle and leaf springs Equals excitement.  
     Oh and they are all right hand drive.  Which is really exciting in traffic.  

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/23 9:34 a.m.

Of course after reading this thread and reigniting my desire for a speedster this pops up on facebook. 

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/938847623826902/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment

Of course when I am trying to get rid of as many projects and vehicles as I can. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PI6w5aXorspjKAWbIduE0959Tv73FYPWsxbxOHTH0rhlUeE7cG1SY21BJi6pAvf0