bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/28/21 5:21 p.m.

Welcome! 

Welcome!

To another exciting episode of what's that noise!?

Today's contestant is a return visitor who has a small block 305 in an S10! He recently replaced the intake manifold with one more fitting to the power band of the truck and ever since then has heard a ticking noise.  

Our contestant has included a video for your perusal. He would like me to point out that the noise doesn't occur under any kind of light 1/4 throttle and up it only seems to occur at light throttle and off throttle events. Such as when coasting to a stop or at idle. Our contestant is pretty sure it's an exhaust leak because the three bolt flange where the header connects to the Y pipe on the same side has one bolt which is missing a nut.

Our contestant is very hopeful that's all it is and he will get that fixed as soon as possible but he wanted to play our game!

The video attached shows a light cruising event. Again anytime the contestant gives it anything above 1/4 throttle the noise completely goes away the truck drives fine

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
11/28/21 5:47 p.m.

Nothing useful to add, but "Lewd 1/4 Throttle" is the name of my new Motorhead tribute/ska fusion band.

bonylad
11/28/21 6:09 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Well now I feel crappy for editing it!  Any info on your band?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/29/21 7:21 a.m.

I can't help except to say both of the 305s I had lost a little power and ticked.  Later I learned they are infamous for worn cams.  Seems the cams are case hardened, after XXX miles the lifter wears through the hardness and then doesn't properly lift.

wae
wae UberDork
11/29/21 7:32 a.m.
bonylad said:

Our contestant is pretty sure it's an exhaust leak because the three bolt flange where the header connects to the Wi-Fi up on the same side as one bolt which is missing a nut.

Is it using the 2.4gHz network or the 5gHz?

bonylad
11/29/21 9:34 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Cam is new along with lifters when the build was done around 2500 miles ago or more. This noise didn't occur till after the most recent intake swap. 

bonylad
11/29/21 9:35 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Contestant is sad that he used talk to text and didn't proof read his post. But 5g. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rMGTRC6qIaeEVyh8umK8SP76R7zfXTwGHO5FR1KUdPBdpLvjUC4xBzUSz4oifGFk