1 2
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/24 9:23 p.m.

I realized that the easiest way to get new tires for Rosie is to search the various marketplaces for a set of takeoffs, cause every bro that gets a truck to bro-dozer-ize immediately takes off the wheels and slaps on $5000 worth of gaudiness on the truck.

I know that the bolt circle is pretty much universal, its the bore center that is the PITA.  What else do I need to know?  Is there one that could be considered a universal donor?  Did they go hub-centric like all the other wheels over the years?

Not looking for mud tires or anything, at most all terrains, but primarily something that isn't the 14 year old BFGs on there

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/24 9:33 p.m.

Your worry shouldn't be hub centric but more of late or early 8 lug.  IIRC Ford went metric at some point and those later wheels won't work on all the other universal 8 lug wheels. If you are switching wheels I'd suggest going with cool ones since they all seem about the same price.  I wish I had done the Hummer 17 inch wheels.

Mr_Asa
2/4/24 9:46 p.m.

So anything modern as a takeoff is probably gonna be the wrong pattern?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/24 9:54 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Anything modern Ford.  Trust in GM, begrudge Dodge, but verify.

Mr_Asa
2/4/24 9:55 p.m.

Gotcha.

That's simple enough.

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/4/24 9:56 p.m.

As far as I know Ford was 8x6.5" until 98. 1999+ is 8x170mm

Dodge has always been 8x6.5"

GM was 8x6.5 then switched to 8x180mm (not 100% sure on this one)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/4/24 10:20 p.m.

I just want to go on the record saying that one of the  things I like the most about Rosie are the genuine GMC logo'ed dog dishes and the knocked out centers version for the fronts.  

Mr_Asa
2/4/24 10:33 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

No, I agree, 100%.  Might not make it onto the final version of the truck, but they work. 

However, for now, being cheap and getting her running so I can start bug chasing?  Just gonna go with whatever is cost effective.   Once I can ensure that I will wear out a set of tires I'll bust em out.

Edit:

For example, New BFG ATs, or similar in 295/75R16 runs in the $300-350 per tire range.  Not including mount, balance, etc.

Whereas these are $900 and brand new and will let me worry about other issues on her. https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/wto/d/middleburg-2024-gmc-wheels-tire-takoff/7710663294.html

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Dork
2/4/24 11:16 p.m.

Gm swapped from 8x6.5 to 8x180 in 2011, so you want 2010 or earlier, assuming you want 8x6.5.

mechanicalmeanderings
mechanicalmeanderings Reader
2/4/24 11:18 p.m.

Dodge still runs 8x6.5 bolt pattern. 
GM has gone metric, not sure of the wheels you posted. They could be right around the transition.

Edit to add: Dead Sled has the right info.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/4/24 11:32 p.m.

GM has definitely changed lug pattern / PCD and offset. I think Forf did too though. 

My first step when getting a new to me truck was often getting some take offs from the next newer model with some good tires from those bro dozers. The change in PCD screwed that up with my latest GM. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Dork
2/5/24 12:01 a.m.

I looked for takeoffs for my 89 2500 suburban ~1.5 years ago.  Even then, pre 2010 rims were on at least their second set of tires, so no primo oems.

I wanted to grab some 17s to increase tire availability, but turns out 235/85/16 range E is a great tire to have if you ain't looking for bling.  I paid $570 for 4 general grabber HDs with tax and delivery in nov 2022.  Those tires have been great, towed ~8k in a snow storm a couple weeks ago.  Wasn't fun given the visibility, but never made me doubt the tires. 

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
2/5/24 12:11 a.m.

I love this website for crossreferencing wheel sizes. Here's the 8x6.5 page
https://www.wheel-size.com/pcd/8x165.1/

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
2/5/24 11:02 a.m.

Regardless of bolt pattern, the offset is likely wrong for your old chassis, unless you get some 0 offset aftermarket bro wheels.

If I was shopping wheels for that vehicle I would consider 1 of 2 options:

• Clean up and paint the existing wheels and caps, toss some brand new BFG All Terrains on there, white letters out of course.
  • Find a set of 80s or 90s Welds, Centerlines, Billet Specialties, etc that are the correct bolt pattern and offset, get them polished, and mount up the same set of BFGs mentioned in point one.
  • Just be aware that a lot of the sweet wheels out there are 16.5s and modern tires are basically nonexistant in that size.  So make sure they are 15s, 16s, or 17s.  
Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/24 11:36 a.m.

Just a compatibility caveat: My F-250 has basic steelies on it, but somewhere along the way it got two different pairs. Oddly, the ones that look to me more like they match the existing silver in the paint and look more correct for the truck won't clear the front brake calipers so I've got fronts and rears and can't rotate my tires. So even within the most basic 8-lug old school wheels, you can have fitment issues if you try hard enough...

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/24 1:25 p.m.

You all hit the nail on the head.  All the 8-lugs up to about 1998 will be 8x6.5.  F-series trucks started the metric pattern in 1999? 2000?  Econolines kept the 6.5" circle up through about 2008, but then again, no one really says "I gotta get me some of those fine E350 wheels."  I think GM went metric in 2008, but by that point most of them were a positive offset.

I found my (6 lug) wheels on FBM that were nearly-new take-offs from a bro dozer that got t-boned.

I wouldn't stress about hub-centric as long as you have conical lug nuts.  If you want to find hub-centric, you can either machine up some rings or stick with ones you know will fit.  Most aftermarket wheels will have hub bores that are the same size or bigger than the largest fitment, but one of the bonuses is that all of the big three have at some point used AAM rear axles and some off-the-shelf front axle.  You have a good chance of multiple applications being the same hub bore.  GMs should be 116mm and Dodge is most likely 122mm.  I forget what Ford's common hub size is.

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
2/5/24 2:06 p.m.

I'm guessing Rosie has a Dana 44 front axle (you mentioned 8 lug, so it's 99.9% chance it's the common 8 x 6.5" bolt pattern. I can't tell what the rear axle is, (the hubcab hides the hub), but is it full-floater (hub is on bearings, axle shaft slides through)? I ask because the full-float hubs are rather bulky and the wheels need a large center bore to fit over them.

EDIT: I went back and read through the entire "Roise" thread, and saw the axle photos, and agree with Stampie - GM 14 bolt rear (stout axle), GM 10 bolt front (not so stout). 

I speak from experience, I converted my '71 Bronco to 3/4 ton axles ('78 Bronco Dana 44 front with GM 3/4 ton knuckles, spindles, hubs, and 8 lug rotors with the 8 x 6.5" bolt pattern), and a Dana 60 full float rear axle, with the same GM 8 lug rotors (8 x 6.5" bolt pattern) and Cadillac parking brake calipers.

I ended up using stock Dodge Power Wagon forged aluminum wheels, 17 x 9, with the 8 x 6.5" bolt pattern, with a good amount of offset to tuck the wheels and tires back into the wheelwells a bit and keep the overall width under 84" (so it's easier to fit on a trailer, and on tighter trails). The good thing(s) about these wheels is they're forged, light, polish up nice, and all over FBM and CL for a couple hundred bucks a set. The Hummer alloys Stampie showed a posts up are another option - not 100% sure of the center bore size on those.  

Rosie looks good - she's going to need some work, but I just love those mid -60's GM trucks. I had a '66 C10 short wide bed, big back window cab, but it had rust everywhere, and I sold it to concentrate on the Bronco.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
2/5/24 3:27 p.m.

As mentioned, it's 100% sure they are 8x6.5. Would have to look up the center hole size for the "Corporate 14" rear. 
I do know the SRW axle for most of the 14s has a very slightly larger hub diameter than the DRW - it ain't much, but the dually wheels do not quite fit. 
After that, offsets change, but that's a fit as fits, since you have different years chassis/body. 

Ford changed to 8x170 in 99 for the introduction of the Super Duty bodystyle. Had 1/2-20 studs for 1/2 year, then 14x2mm a couple years , then 14x1.5mm fine thread. Switched to a negitive offset rim in 05. So Ford, as usual mixed thing up A LOT from 99-05, sometimes with half years. 

Chebby didn't change much till the big pattern, much newer. IDR the year. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/24 3:35 p.m.

My guess is the rear is a 10.5" full-floater 14 bolt.  More than enough for serious heavy stuff.  If the front is a 10-bolt, it is more than adequate unless you're planning on crawling slick rock in Moab.  If it's a D44, pretty much the same but the carrier bearing journals are a bit stronger.  The real upgrade would be a D60, but that's only if you're making a serious off-roader.

Mr_Asa
2/5/24 5:40 p.m.

Guys, again, not looking to just update the wheels, just looking to get better rubber as a temporary measure.
I appreciate the information, though.

In reply to earlybroncoguy1 :

Those Power Wagon wheels are understated but sexy.   Thanks for pointing them out.

Loren_SD
Loren_SD New Reader
2/5/24 5:41 p.m.

As mentioned, only Dodge retains the 6.5" bolt circle, when all mfr's used to use it.  All newer take-offs are going to be 17" and up, with a negative offset that looks funny on a "classic"...IMO.  You can buy spacers starting at 1 1/2" thick.  On my '90s Dodge I have 18" newer Dodge Ram take-offs I got for free and have worn them nearly out of tread which makes the point, OEMs get the good tires and the replacement market gets the rest, so when you find originals you're doing good.

Those I'm using were replacements for General Grabber 10-ply E-rated tires which started to have sidewall failure at less than half their tread life, when used with well under their weight rating and at proper pressure.  Junk tires that looked nice but now sit in a pile in the yard.  Before that I had BFGs that did the same, even when used at the lightly-loaded rear of my diesel truck.

Do note the D and E ratings.  D is often good enough for a small-block truck.

Watch out for 16.5s which have a different rim style as do all ".5 " wheels, where the bead seal is easily broken off-road.  No one really uses 16.5s anymore, but I wouldn't say no to a good set for cheap.

A while back I found a set of 16x7 Ford F-250 wheels from the '90s (pre-metric change) with excellent newer tires, $80 for the set from a guy who wanted bigger, which had sat unsold on CL but was the best deal ever.  They'd have been perfect on the OP Suburban.

Mr_Asa
2/5/24 5:45 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Guys, again, not looking to just update the wheels

I mean, I say that, thennnnn.....

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1387939715449272

Product photo of Super swampers

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
2/5/24 9:26 p.m.

Swampers! Noisy but period correct!(to the frame)

Mr_Asa
2/5/24 9:36 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

WaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaaWaa

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
2/6/24 10:07 a.m.

Listing is not available anymore, somebody bought them. Hope they realize they're 16.5", new tire selection is pretty limited.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DWQh08NI9KfTa81NimPjNy5CzAOva5JR9N5EURND9lPvBgiDAyd3dAad1uHnpKHV