ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
5/25/20 3:03 p.m.

Hi all, I'm looking at a 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth with about 87k miles. I tried to do some research and couldn't find any glaring major problem with this model. Any common major problems or specific areas I should keep an eye on? Also, there doesn't seem to be too many independent shop specializing in this model, do you guys know of a good independent shop for this model in the metro Washington DC area?

Thanks guys. 

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/26/20 10:33 a.m.

In reply to ea_sport :

The only guy I know who specializes in this model is Bob Zecca of "Driving Impressions" in Dover NJ. Try www.DIcorse.com

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
5/27/20 8:49 a.m.

I've had my 2013 since March 2014 with 144 miles.  Now I'm at about 68K I think.  So far the only issues I've had have been replacing both front axles and a ball joint, maybe both it's early and I forget.  One was getting bad & saved the labor to do both the same time if I remember.

I still love driving the damn thing, it's a hoot.  I bought used coilovers from Bob in the other comment, he seems like a nice guy.  Ask him about Mephisto, a crazy modified Abarth he bought and had shipped from Italy.

As far as I'm concerned, Tony Fixed It.  (I made vinyl that says that on the back window...)

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
5/28/20 9:49 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

I was hoping you'd chime in. Is there anything special that I need to pay attention to when looking at a 2012 Abarth with about 87K miles?

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/20 10:21 p.m.

I have a 2012, granted mine only has 17,000 miles on it, but zero issues so far. 

5/30/20 4:41 p.m.

Was thinking about this some the past couple of days.

Two things that annoy me about my Abarth. During the summer windshield above the gage pod gets a hazy film on it, probably from the Alcantara that covers the pod. I dislike the fact there is no way to run just the parking lights, it is either all on or nothing. And I really hate how the Trunk latch works. It's normal state is "locked" and you can only get it to open two ways. One is with the button the key fob (which doesn't work with the key in the ignition) and the other is to lock and unlock the doors. Those are the only two ways to release the lock on the hatch so you can open it. 

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/20 6:00 p.m.

I would love to swap the 500 Abarth engine into my TR4 project car. I've seen the engine complete with harness for $1500. And it should bolt up to a Miata trans. If I could just figure out how to make the electronics work...

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
5/30/20 6:39 p.m.

Fun to drive, but sadly comes with a miserable shifter. 

I still want one, but get scared just based on the fact that it’s a Fiat. Probably no worse than a mini tho

5/30/20 9:09 p.m.

I must have had a number of cars with "miserable shifters", I find it no worse or better than most front wheel drive cars. Now it is worse than my original Fiat 124 and my old 318ti, but those were rear wheel drive without all the linkages and cables FWD requires. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/30/20 9:34 p.m.
LanEvo said:

I would love to swap the 500 Abarth engine into my TR4 project car. I've seen the engine complete with harness for $1500. And it should bolt up to a Miata trans. If I could just figure out how to make the electronics work...

I have a swap that I'd like to do as well, but my mechanic friends have warned me off the MultiAir.  I did find a couple of stand-alone ECUs that are supposed to work with it, but both are based in Europe with no American reps, so if you buy their product, you're kind of on your own.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/30/20 9:41 p.m.
LanEvo said:

I have a swap that I'd like to do as well, but my mechanic friends have warned me off the MultiAir.  I've heard that Ecumaster Black will run standalone and they're pretty reasonably priced.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1sYVyrlLf1qTzQpHxtuyu7kNnvpgaSBw8IgzMXngWDjsaBEqbuQaLYbk6FQhRWhw