1 2 3 4
White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
4/22/13 10:43 a.m.

I went on YouTube, and I found this:

2003 P71 acceleration, before and after J-mod

1998 Crown Vic acceleration

Not a direct comparison with the civilian version, but if you listen to the engine you can hear the slower, smoother shifts.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
4/22/13 11:20 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Why go P71? Many have been beat to death. I"d go for a civilian version that's had the typical little old lady driver.

I hate this argument. It may have been run like you say or idled away most it's life. Maybe its been driven like an old lady. You're making the same berkeleying gamble buying any used car from someone you don't know. Don't want to hear this backless argument again.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
4/22/13 11:47 a.m.
amg_rx7 wrote:
Tom Suddard wrote: What else do I need to know? I'd prefer if it had a spotlight and the push bar, fwiw.
They are big, ugly, drive like E36 M3 and you'll never get laid driving one.

huh, I've never been laid driving anything.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
4/22/13 12:03 p.m.

Hmm, good point. I'd think if anything the bench seat would make it easier than most cars!

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
4/22/13 12:10 p.m.

one of my friends commented "there could be two separate sexual situations going on back here and they wouldn't even bother each other!"

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
4/22/13 12:10 p.m.
White_and_Nerdy wrote: I went on YouTube, and I found this: 2003 P71 acceleration, before and after J-mod 1998 Crown Vic acceleration Not a direct comparison with the civilian version, but if you listen to the engine you can hear the slower, smoother shifts.

here's my J-modded 5.4 P71

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSa9Q9ZPgYo

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/22/13 12:15 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Why go P71? Many have been beat to death. I"d go for a civilian version that's had the typical little old lady driver. Early cars have weak rear axle shafts so plan on replacing the shafts and bearing. I'd go for an earlier car before they cheapend up the front LCA's and adjustment. I forget which year as I was gone from the program around launch. If you go for a civi car you can replace the rear gears when you do the axle shafts and add a real LSD at the same time. Aftermarkt HD trans cooler or retro fit a cop version. Better apointed inseide etc

This is kindof what i was thinking, unless for some reason the civs are more expensive.

And screw it, i'd go Grand Marquis flavor for some class.

And then immediately put straight pipes on it.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
4/22/13 12:28 p.m.

I've bought a couple and will buy more. There are so many out there, you can be picky. Only 2003 and up. I like the rubber floors and bucket seats. I don't like repaints. I avoid cars with excessive chopped wiring.

Other than that, the only real investigation I do is get down on my hands and knees and look at the belly.

I avoid the cars that used median culverts for brakes. Some look great up top but like doo underneath, bent, rusty, dented, It's my little hard life test.

Hntsvl_E30
Hntsvl_E30 New Reader
4/22/13 1:49 p.m.

Grand Marquis are a good alternative. Almost everything the P71 has, the GM also has. The fleet version weighs 4,037 lbs, much lighter car. Upgrade the rear to a 3.27L, some big sway bars, dual exhaust and tune it. My car will do 0-60 in the mid 6 second range with simple bolt ons, and handles like a sports sedan.

Entering a high speed section

Tom Suddard
4/22/13 1:51 p.m.

I'm pretty determined to go with a real P71, but I do have a question: How do I tell what differential it has? Is there a tag on the diff?

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/22/13 2:41 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
amg_rx7 wrote:
Tom Suddard wrote: What else do I need to know? I'd prefer if it had a spotlight and the push bar, fwiw.
They are big, ugly, drive like E36 M3 and you'll never get laid driving one.
huh, I've never been laid driving anything.

Are we talking getting laid WHILE driving or a good old park and berkeley?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
4/22/13 3:14 p.m.

there's a tag inside the driver's door frame to indicate the rear axle.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
4/22/13 4:33 p.m.

WHY DO I READ THESE THREADS?

I had just about talked myself out of one and then BAM this thread pops up.

I consider them part of the GRM trifecta. Miata, E30, P71.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/22/13 4:35 p.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: I consider them part of the GRM trifecta. Miata, E30, P71.

Proper trifecta is astro, e30, miata. Check the old board.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
4/22/13 4:55 p.m.

What makes the Fleet Grand Marquis so much lighter?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
4/22/13 5:15 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: What makes the Fleet Grand Marquis so much lighter?

Witchcraft.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
4/22/13 5:44 p.m.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
4/22/13 6:43 p.m.

If i do another panther, it's going to be a 97 town car.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
4/22/13 7:46 p.m.

In reply to belteshazzar:

I have nothing to add, Daniel.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
4/22/13 7:49 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
BoostedBrandon wrote: I consider them part of the GRM trifecta. Miata, E30, P71.
Proper trifecta is astro, e30, miata. Check the old board.

I prefer the GRM Pentaverate of: Miata, E30, P71, Jeep XJ, Astro

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
4/22/13 8:01 p.m.

My dad has had P71s every generation since the 80's. His '03 P71 has been nothing but good to him. Everyone he has owned he has put a hitch on and has towed a steel car trailer with a 80's Caprice with his old '92 with no problems, I imagine a 03+ would have no issues.

It gets about the same mileage as a truck, but is much more comfortable than one. I think my dad has gotten 22-23 mpg traveling the interstate, but it gets 15-17 around town.

His car came from a dealer in Wisconsin that specializes in low mile fire and police vehicles. They remove all the police crap and replace stuff like the missing rub strips on the front doors.

I would have gotten one a while back if my wife didn't hate CVs so much.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/13 11:24 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: What makes the Fleet Grand Marquis so much lighter?

It's not. My P71 weighed 4040 with a full tank of gas, the steel push bumper, the spotlight, the steelies, the full size spare, and the stab plates. An 03 will be lighter, and so will taking all of that crap out. A no-extra-police-stuff P71 will be lighter than any civvie-spec car do to less options (weight) including things like powered and heated seats, cruise, radios, etc. Not to mention no floor sound deadening.

Tom Suddard
4/23/13 10:10 a.m.

Oh, speaking of cruise–how common is it on P71s? I've seen only a few ads that mention it.

How hard is it to swap cruise into one that didn't originally have it?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse HalfDork
4/23/13 10:24 a.m.

I'd definitely go the Grandmaw Key route. My grandfather has an '09 GM that I'm begging him to give me first dibs at when he doesn't want it any more. They are such nice riding cars- and better appointed than the vickies. I prefer the styling of the cars too- and they don't scream "I'm trying to be an police officer!".

I'd stay away from a town car, though. The adjustable suspensions can be problematic from what I've heard.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
4/23/13 10:39 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Oh, speaking of cruise–how common is it on P71s? I've seen only a few ads that mention it. How hard is it to swap cruise into one that didn't originally have it?

Mine had cruise. Was a fantastic road trip car if you were OK with 18 mpg. All the cars moved out of the way and truckers loved to cruise with me.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bhxTBZFFwUtNhjLgaxcJhxgSvvKYps169vZ3Itk3YyLgAcz94fXXztQKIPQOQFWS