1 2
Dneikirk
Dneikirk New Reader
2/29/24 7:44 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

If you download the Tesla app, there is a section for "Charge your non-Tesla EV". It's for destination chargers currently (unless you have the magic dock close, which is super rare), and has you just scan the QR code on the side of the charger. So I think there will be an extra step or 2 in the app compared to Tesla users but access is there on the back end. There even give a pictograph instruction on how to park to not block other chargers!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
2/29/24 7:52 a.m.

Yes, I've charged at magic docks and destination chargers. Ford has promised plug & charge, with authentication and payment handled by the vehicle. 

Chris_V
Chris_V PowerDork
2/29/24 1:24 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) said:

I'd get the cheapest EV (new or used, depending on your income limits you can figure out how to milk the incentives as much as you can) you can find if you have a house. Minimal maintenance, perfect for stop and go traffic, full "tank" every morning, possibly cheaper to run. Think Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt, etc.

Here's my dilemma with EV's.  I've driven Tesla Model 3's often and I like them, but I find the proprietary nav/user interface to be somewhat infuriating.  I really want CarPlay.  There are other cool EV's, but I take multi-state road trips pretty often and I don't want to deal with all the crazy charging network stuff.

Recently drove my Bolt EUV down to the Daytona 500 from here in Baltimore and back. 1900 miles round trip. Cheap and easy. No shenanigans for charging (and surpringly a large number of charging stations near the track). While staying down on the beach, we drove up to St Augustine and back. Never once felt limited in what we could do.

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
2/29/24 1:38 p.m.

Camry Hybrid seems like the easy button here, right?

Tom Suddard
2/29/24 3:12 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/29/24 4:08 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

And Ford/Tesla just threw the switch for Supercharger access this morning:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2024/02/29/ford-customers-can-now-charge-on-tesla-superchargers-in-u-s---ca.html

This has me thinking I need to test drive a Mach E.  There are a bunch of dealer incentives right now.  Reviews I've read indicate that the Premium RWD Extended battery is the sweet spot in terms of trim level.

3/22/24 7:03 a.m.

Update: I decided on the Accord Hybrid in the top level Touring trim. I picked up a new 2024 in silver at the dealership last night. 

Initial impressions:

- It's as quiet and comfortable as any Benz or Lexus I've ever been in.

- The seats are fantastic. 

- All the drivers aids should really help take the sting out of the daily commute. Particularly valuable are traffic jam assist and brake hold.  The techy stuff is easy to use.

- The integrated Google Assistant and Google Maps is way cooler than I thought it would be. 

- Legitimately 45+mpg and 500+ miles of range.  Most of the driving is done from the electric motor, and the transition to gas is imperceptible.  It's basically a Tesla with an onboard gas generator and Carplay.

- I know sporting aspirations weren't on the list of requirements but it handles really well. Sport mode is surprisingly sporty. Steering and adaptive suspension are great, as you would expect from Honda  I wouldn't hesitate to take it to Track Night In America (not that I will, but...)

- It doesn't have a Homelink mirror.  To control my garage door I either have to use a clicker or pay for the Hondalink subscription and get a MyQ internet adapter for my garage door opener.  WTF Honda?

- It's plenty big to transport four large adults and all their stuff.

- I think it's a really good looking car.  I haven't warmed up to the wheels though, the Sport trim definitely looks better.

I'll report back, but so far I'm super happy with it. Having it ceramic coated on Monday. 

Tom Suddard
3/22/24 9:48 a.m.

Congratulations! Looks great. 

3/27/24 10:32 a.m.

One week ownership report.

- I've only used it for commuting and running around town.  I have about 200 miles on it, so far I'm getting 39.6mpg, making no effort to drive in an economical fashion.  Not as good as the EPA estimate, but still pretty amazing.

- The cruise control alone is worth the price of admission.  Much of my commute is on two lane roads where I'm subjected to whatever unreasonable speed the person in front of me decides upon.  It's an amazing psychological benefit to just set the cruise to follow the driver in front of me and not even worry about it.  When I get there I get there, I can't control it anyway.  It's also nice for the frequent traffic jams on Atlanta highways.  I never knew how great it could be to have my cruise control drive the car for me in stop and go traffic averaging 5mph.

- It's quiet, comfortable, roomy.  Ergonomics are great.  The suspension is just about perfect for what the car is intended to do.

- The lack of Homelink is still idiotic.  They're trying to force you to use CarPlay/Hondalink/MyQ to open your garage door, which involves a paid subscription and four screen clicks to do a simple task that other cars do in one free click.  I thought about just installing a Homelink mirror, but instead decided on a very small universal garage remote that fits perfectly in a cubby on the console.  This is a relatively small complaint.

- The Bose sound system is unbelievably good.  I'm a pretty serious audiophile and have never owned a Bose product in my life that I thought was any good, but this stereo delivers the goods.

- This is the first time since I got rid of my Avalon 12 years ago that I've owned a non-enthusiast car and I have to say that I'm really digging it.  I still have my truck and my Radical for fun stuff, but for regular car duty this thing is the cat's pajamas.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
3/27/24 10:46 a.m.

There's something to be said for the right tool for the job even if it is not exciting, and seems like you found it. Agree that stop and go traffic cruise control is amazing.  

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
3/27/24 7:54 p.m.

Congrats! I like the looks of these, but I do wish they were a bit shorter. I saw one the other day and it looked like the length of an S class!  That's just the way it is these days. 

Glad you're enjoying it. 

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
3/27/24 8:21 p.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

Congratulations, I missed this somehow.  2022 Camry XSE Hybrid owner since February of 2023 (CPO with 7400 miles on it when we bought it) and my wife's daily.   I'm a little embarrassed by how much I like driving it, JBL sound system in our case, similar cruise control and a lane keeping mode that will basically drive the car (hands need to be on the wheel).   We're averaging just over 45 mpg since we picked it up and have seen over 50 on at least two tanks (actual miles / gallons added).  

I do prefer the styling of the Accord if I'm honest, that is a very clean design.  I haven't driven one but I have really come to enjoy the hybrid drivetrain and the battery boost if it's needed.  Enjoy, that looks sweet.   

3/27/24 8:59 p.m.
CyberEric said:

Congrats! I like the looks of these, but I do wish they were a bit shorter. I saw one the other day and it looked like the length of an S class!  That's just the way it is these days. 

Glad you're enjoying it. 

It's easily as big as my old Avalon, or an S Class. My daughter's Civic is as big as the old Accords were. Still, after a few months of commuting in my F-250 it feels like just the right size for daily driver duty. It's on the small side compared to the ocean of SUV's and crossovers I'm surrounded by. 

3/27/24 9:02 p.m.
11GTCS said:

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

Congratulations, I missed this somehow.  2022 Camry XSE Hybrid owner since February of 2023 (CPO with 7400 miles on it when we bought it) and my wife's daily.   I'm a little embarrassed how much I like driving it, JBL sound system in our case, similar cruise control and a lane keeping mode that will basically drive the car (hands need to be on the wheel).   We're averaging just over 45 mpg since we picked it up and have seen over 50 on at least two tanks (actual miles / gallons added).  

I do prefer the styling of the Accord if I'm honest, that is a very clean design.  I haven't driven one but I have really come to enjoy the hybrid drivetrain and the battery boost if it's needed.  Enjoy, that looks sweet.   

I cross-shopped the Camry and eventually decided on the Accord for the same reason.  I just like the look of the Accord better, both inside and out. The new Accord interiors are REALLY nice and the Camry is a little dated IMO.  Both awesome vehicles though. 

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
3/27/24 9:37 p.m.

BTW, is this a 2.0 I4 with a electric motor?

3/28/24 7:01 a.m.
CyberEric said:

BTW, is this a 2.0 I4 with a electric motor?

Correct. Combined they have about 200hp and 200 lb-ft. I would describe the power as adequate for daily driver use. Lane changes and passing are no problem but it's definitely not going to blow you away with it's muscle.  The interaction between the electric and gas motors is seamless, you never really know which is doing the work at any given time. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
3/28/24 8:55 a.m.

Low mileage Lexus would be my pick for souless communter in the 35-50k range. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
3/28/24 1:08 p.m.

How about an upmarket Accord? I.e. the TLX. Base model falls within your price range. Decent sound system included, I believe they all have heated/cooled seats but I could be wrong. 

Hyundai Sonata I think would be another decent choice, especially if you're going to be handing the keys over to a teen. Top spec is under $40k and comes with a ton of tech and a hybrid system. 

Edit: Disregard didn't make it to page 2 before responding....ooops

Congrats on the Accord! 

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
3/28/24 4:20 p.m.

2002 Toyota Echo

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YmIquIYeQG4dHNBjAWIsOsBuVpoc8bHFaA7fUv1yswk0X9mYvvLeexl0GaQsRNUn