hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/1/22 12:33 p.m.

I mean, if you can afford to do it. Made me think about Burt Monroe with the land speed racing and the sacrifices to the Church of Speed.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/22 12:47 p.m.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
8/1/22 4:32 p.m.

Peter Egan had a column about all the interesting things seen in small airport hangers, and all the interesting people that dwell within. That must have been 35 yrs ago or so.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/1/22 6:24 p.m.

If I could afford it I'd buy a county airport. Hanger shop, hanger house, Sebring/Top Gear style race course.

Heaven.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/1/22 6:41 p.m.

"This engine is my design"

"so I decided to make a 2-piece piston"

Dang, I need to get off the couch more.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/2/22 11:56 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Brings a whole new meaning to "I have an old Mustang out in the garage".

Berck
Berck Reader
8/2/22 12:29 p.m.

The FAA is cracking down on non-aeronautical use of hangars at airports that receive federal grants.  https://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_compliance/hangar_use/

It's pretty frustrating to have a situation like at my local airport (which doesn't receive such grants) where there isn't enough hangar space for airplanes, yet there are tons of hangars full of RVs and Porsche collections.  Ideally the free market would take care of this, but there are some pretty terrible distortions...

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
8/2/22 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Berck :

Having just browsed commercial real estate for existing buildings with at least 2 bay doors, it's likely happening because hangers are the most cost effective way to get a large amount of secure covered storage

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/2/22 1:16 p.m.

When I lived out in Washington state, it turned out there was a toxic waste handling outfit that handled disposal by renting a hangar at the airport, cutting a hole in the slab and pouring the waste down the hole.

It was lucrative while it lasted. 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
8/2/22 6:35 p.m.
Berck said:

The FAA is cracking down on non-aeronautical use of hangars at airports that receive federal grants.  https://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_compliance/hangar_use/

It's pretty frustrating to have a situation like at my local airport (which doesn't receive such grants) where there isn't enough hangar space for airplanes, yet there are tons of hangars full of RVs and Porsche collections.  Ideally the free market would take care of this, but there are some pretty terrible distortions...

I rented a t hangar at the Oscoda  county, Mio Michigan airport for many years. 4 or 5 months after the 6 hangar building was completed none had been rented.  I don't have an airplane but my brother and dad do so I rented it to keep trucks,jeeps dirt bikes etc. I rarely flew in as the strip was short and very soft. It was a great workshop. After a few years the hangars were full. A couple of years later the county applied for federal funds to pave the runway. I was reluctantly evicted by the county after the FAA audited the airport . I didn't have an airplane in the hangar.  Now that the airport has 3000 feet of asphalt we fly  the MU -2 in occasionally.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
8/2/22 6:39 p.m.

Cdowd has a very fine airplane hangar. It has a rotary 2 post lift and a beautiful RX-7 in it. Seriously the RX-7 is nice but cdowd has the most spectacular cars

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
8/3/22 7:22 a.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RxLek9BZ5h1Q8S6R8M9CQpqtVQbDgyavQZIcHzhC3yErXyccsZ3QdsNBftBqAsXU