Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/20/24 12:56 p.m.
feature_image

Wanna ride shotgun with GRM?

Welcome to this week’s test vehicle, a 2024 Genesis Electrified GV70 AWD Prestige.

Although "Electrifed' might mean hybrid to some, in this case, "Electrified" is reserved for the all-electric models in the Genesis lineup. (For those curious, the gas-powered GV70 can be had with either a 2.5-liter, turbocharged inline-four or a 3.5-liter, twin-turbocharged V6.)

The EV GV70 (say that …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
5/20/24 1:04 p.m.

Just for reference, the Ioniq 5 N–rated at 601 horsepower and 545 lb.-ft. of torque–starts at $66,100. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/20/24 1:19 p.m.

So obviously the first thing we did was line this up against my wife's single-motor long range Ioniq 5 which shares a platform with the GV.

Yes, the Genesis is fancier, but it's not $25,000-ish better than the Ioniq 5 in any stretch of the imagination. The GV is faster certainly, but the extra motor robs nearly 100 miles from total range on a full charge vs the Hyundai.

Inside the GV is far more "traditional" with a front center console and a far less airy interior than the Ioniq 5. Honestly I don't think one is inherently better or worse, but I really like the approach of the Ioniq. It really leverages the strengths of the platform while the GV simply tries to be a regular car that just happens to be electric.

On the road thay're far more similar than they are different. The GV may actually ride a bit harsher due to the 20-inch, lower profile rubber vs the 19s on the Ioniq, but from behind the wheel they're mostly functionally identical.

The biggest difference I notice is my seeming inability to properly use the brakes in the GV. I donlt know whether it's a dual-motor thing, or simply tuning and parts, but the brakes in the Ioniq are lovely at all speeds. The GV's are grabby, and difficult to apply smoothly at parking speeds, so you look like kind of a spaz when moving it around your driveway. 

Also, white brake calipers are a *choice*

Anyway, zero envy here. The Ioniq 5 is one of my favorite cars on the road at the moment, and the GV70 makes it all a bit fancier without really making it any better. 

Colin Wood
5/20/24 4:28 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Anyway, zero envy here. The Ioniq 5 is one of my favorite cars on the road at the moment, and the GV70 makes it all a bit fancier without really making it any better. 

That's kind of a bummer, because the GV70 certainly looks the part.

JG Pasterjak
5/20/24 4:42 p.m.
Colin Wood said:
JG Pasterjak said:

That's kind of a bummer, because the GV70 certainly looks the part.

I mean it's not worse. It's every bit as good as the I5, just for $25,000 more. I'm just not seeing the upgrade here.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/22/24 11:46 a.m.

Yeah, those white calipers were the first thing I noticed. Very SEMA-ish. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/24 12:07 p.m.

I'd be tempted to try bedding those brakes to see if their behavior improves. That's what I'd recommend to someone who contacted me about a Miata with those symptoms :)

Speaking of which - any chance GRM will get their hands on a 2024 Miata so we can get a report on the effects of track mode, the new diff and the new steering rack? 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/22/24 12:51 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I am hoping to see one. Currently don’t have an ETA. 

JG Pasterjak
5/22/24 2:00 p.m.

So after nearly a week, i'm averaging about 3.1 miles per KwH. My wife and her heavy foot average 3.9 miles per KwH in her single motor Ioniq. Honestly that's more significant than I was expecting.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Au6kPmAGjr4wcntj32HkFwgDQC0xpPkdQMruYBWpxIV4gUQS73aV2AFenjwuiUYp